Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: cable differences 1x19 vs 7x7 [Re: backroadsarcher] #8126985
04/22/24 10:55 PM
04/22/24 10:55 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I use 1/16 up to 3/32. I have even caught coyotes by the toes with 1x19 3/32.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: cable differences 1x19 vs 7x7 [Re: Willoughby] #8127719
04/24/24 11:50 AM
04/24/24 11:50 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Online content
trapper
Aix sponsa  Online Content
trapper

Louisiana
The picture posted shows the strand and bundle arrangement, but there’s more to be said.

1x19 gives you the ability to shape your loop and its stiffness lets you easily take advantage of stored energy when loaded properly. I don’t find loading cable to be difficult, but I do think 1x19 is a little easier to load. A well built 1x19 snare can really be useful, especially when snaring beavers in the water. 1x19 snares can be made in such a way that the loop is wider than it is deep, possibly(?) satisfying legal “1/2 submerged” regs without having to have the bottom of the loop quite so deep. I use threaded stops for 1x19 or double ferrules.

In my experience, 7x7 makes more of a round loop when loaded. I liked those out of the water on trails at times, and 7x7 makes a great all around cable.

7x19 is very flexible, and in my opinion is second to none when it comes to extension cables, submersion cables, and general non-snare uses. Very handy stuff. Almost all of my 330s have stainless 7x19 cables. It was an investment worth making in my experience.

Using different cable types, sizes, and a variety of locks keeps it interesting, and in a way is similar to having choices when it comes to bullet selection for hunting. Yes, some bullets will do it all, but there are times that specific ones do it better.

If I had to choose only one type of cable for snaring, it’d be quality 1x19. If I had to choose one type of cable period, it’d probably be 7x7 since it can make snares and extensions, but…… when I get my pick for everything, I choose to have a selection.

Last edited by Aix sponsa; 04/24/24 12:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91