No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
good 500 takedown and reassembly video #8107526
03/25/24 11:22 AM
03/25/24 11:22 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
this was the video I was looking for , other than bolt , trigger group breakdown it covers everything without a bunch of added talking and he was making a separate bolt video and trigger group video.

things I only take apart very rarely but that he showed.
1.After replacing the plastic factory safety button with an oversized aluminum one and replacing the screw with a Allen type screw I leave this alone , I also use a little blue locktite on the safety button screw.
2. the Ejector I don't remove that after taking the screw out and putting a dab of blue locktite on the threads.
3. the action slide tube nut unless changing out the furniture I leave it alone after you guessed it a dab of blue locktite.
4.the stock bolt and again a dab of blue locktite

for the bolt and trigger group I like to clean and lube with Hornady one shot it flushes the carbon out without leaving any sticky and it leaves the lube behind. also not hard on plastic which the trigger housing is.

notice the ejector come out with a screw that and the mag tube unscrewing I think makes the 500/590 the most user maintainable shotgun out there.
you need just a few basic tools and there is nothing you can't replace

the safety button type I like is this kind and they do sell them on amazon.
https://ndzperformance.com/ndz-mossberg-shotgun-enhanced-safety-selector-v1-ndz-mos-es-v1-v/
I actually have a promag but these look identical and I can't find the promags anymore.

for a parts list and other 500/590 info
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-mossberg-model-500-history-disassembly/

one more thing to add , people clean in all sorts of ways , what I don't see often enough is something like acetone in the bore solvent for shotguns.
you send a plastic wad or gas seal with every round you fire so plastic build up is likely to be other than carbon what you need to clean from your barrel.
you need to keep that plastic softening solvent away from furniture and trigger group , but it can make cleaning the bore up better.
some one shot and a bore snake will keep you running a very long time , the plastic clean up would be every 500 or thousand rounds or so which will take most people a while.

the testing for the US military to accept the 500/590 into use was 1000 rounds in testing with multiple examples with no maintenance or failures.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: good 500 takedown and reassembly video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8107532
03/25/24 11:27 AM
03/25/24 11:27 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
good video. i never saw a need for an enhanced safety switch. factory switch has always worked fine for me.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: good 500 takedown and reassembly video [Re: danny clifton] #8107557
03/25/24 12:04 PM
03/25/24 12:04 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
good video. i never saw a need for an enhanced safety switch. factory switch has always worked fine for me.

had a few of the plastic ones break , they get old , probably some solvent got on them and they get brittle , cold and maybe a little brute force and crack.
the first sign is typically that they turn back on during recoil.

I have one to replace that did that in November 3rd round out and the safety was back on , I am getting around to ordering a replacement it is on my to do list.

also just a little more purchase to push off when bringing the gun to the shoulder it seems faster , but if nothing more than replacing plastic with metal it's like 10-12 dollars.
I am also not a fan of the little security screw they put on them.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: good 500 takedown and reassembly video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8109856
03/28/24 01:47 PM
03/28/24 01:47 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
adding this it is a very good video with details of how the trigger group works and how to upgrade it

Re: good 500 takedown and reassembly video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8109866
03/28/24 01:57 PM
03/28/24 01:57 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if you watched the video above you can see the similarity and small difference in the maverick 88 it is really just the safety

and the 88 trigger group could be used in a 500 the only receiver difference is the cut out for the safety in the 500.

Re: good 500 takedown and reassembly video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8110566
03/29/24 02:00 PM
03/29/24 02:00 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
this thread got me thinking about the safety that turned on (no-shoot-mode) after the 2nd round fired at a deer last Nov
I hit it on the first shot just not as well as I would have liked , missed 2nd while running , 3rd that didn't happen the deer was practically on top of me 12-15 yards or so but the trigger wouldn't move and by the time I got the safety off I had a hole lot of nothing but tail to shoot at
it was shot again about 80 yards farther down and recovered right there (not by me)
I had a decent enough blood trail but that's public land hunting.
very frustrating
I replaced that old plastic safety button last night

these are the type I use , they install easy and give a very positive off/on easy to get with gloves or in this case limited clearance I haven't had one turn back on under recoil yet.

[Linked Image]

Re: good 500 takedown and reassembly video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8111350
03/30/24 04:34 PM
03/30/24 04:34 PM
Watertown, WI
R
rszwieg Offline
trapper
rszwieg  Offline
trapper
R

Watertown, WI
Cool. Never saw that safety before. Where do you get those?

Last edited by rszwieg; 03/30/24 04:36 PM.
Re: good 500 takedown and reassembly video [Re: rszwieg] #8111396
03/30/24 05:47 PM
03/30/24 05:47 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by rszwieg
Cool. Never saw that safety before. Where do you get those?

I got that one off amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6BY6PS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

NDZ makes them currently my first one was a Pro-Mag but they don't seem to make/sell them any more I can't see a difference so maybe promag was selling NDZ till they got a name

they also make a wider one

I broke a plastic and friend broke his plastic one it is a good possibility that solvent makes the plastic ones brittle and it isn't something you take out of the gun when you clean typically they were all 30+ year old guns.

Re: good 500 takedown and reassembly video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8111472
03/30/24 07:26 PM
03/30/24 07:26 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Love my Mossberg 500's, a 12, two 20's and a .410
One of the 20's is a rifled slug gun, other is mod smooth bore.
.410 is a youth model and when not squirrel hunting is the house gun.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread