No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8131514
05/01/24 12:24 PM
05/01/24 12:24 PM
New Mexico
C
coytrpr Offline
trapper
coytrpr  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
I met with several TPWD personnel in early March to discuss this process. The first thing I was told was that the commission had already made the decision to go to a 36 hour check for lion trapping (basically an every day requirement). The check time was not up for discussion. What they wanted to discuss and what we did discuss was how to implement a regulation that would not impact coyote trapping so agricultural operations were not affected. What I was told at the time was that they were looking at exempting certain trap sizes, certain snare loop sizes and exempting snares with a breakaway device from the lion check requirement. They were seeking input from trappers both within Texas and trappers familiar with lion trapping to try to develop this regulation. The regulation only applies if you catch a mountain lion. As proposed however it does not exempt any equipment and an accidental capture in a coyote trap not checked within 36 hours would put you in violation. None of what I recommended and discussed with them was incorporated into the draft regulation. Note also that the proposed regulation only applies to live capture so a lethal snare is exempt as long as the lion was killed (this was brought up during the discussion). They discussed both a 285 and 350 pound breakaway. Here in New Mexico we have a 350 pound breakaway requirement which I brought to their attention. Their intent is to potentially allow any incidental neck snared lion to break out of a neck snare. I don't think any of us who trap in Texas would consider a lion capture incidental. The proposed regulation would require nuisance control operations to comply with the same check requirements that fur trappers currently operate under if the possibility of a lion capture existed. Although not up for discussion I very emphatically told them a 36 hour check on lion trapping was not feasible or realistic. The film that has generated this effort is now being promoted by Fox Nation so it is only going to get worse as far as public perception. If you have not trapped in the West, and for lions specifically, the size of the landscape and the time scale involved in lion movement, you will not be able to grasp the drastic impact this regulation will have. The only scenario in which a 36 hour check would be feasible is if you are trapping on a fresh kill which is a rare opportunity.

Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8131529
05/01/24 12:58 PM
05/01/24 12:58 PM
TX
K
KSlongliner Offline OP
trapper
KSlongliner  Offline OP
trapper
K

TX
CoyTrpr, thank you for your imformative post and your reccomendations made to TPWD. I agree with you 100% and you couldnt have described it better for those unaware.

Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8131588
05/01/24 04:03 PM
05/01/24 04:03 PM
Va
S
Spike369 Offline
trapper
Spike369  Offline
trapper
S

Va
Originally Posted by KSlongliner
Originally Posted by Spike369
I don't see anything wrong with the regulation. However I am not familiar with "canned" hunting. I have no idea what that is.

Do you currently trap in Texas? Things are much different here than Virginia.

Good day Sir.

Didn't know it was a requirement to ask a question. Good day to you too, sir!

Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8131602
05/01/24 04:28 PM
05/01/24 04:28 PM
TX
K
KSlongliner Offline OP
trapper
KSlongliner  Offline OP
trapper
K

TX
It does to hold any weight in being OK with restricting lion trapping rights in Texas. This isnt about canned hunting.

Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8131628
05/01/24 05:13 PM
05/01/24 05:13 PM
Va
S
Spike369 Offline
trapper
Spike369  Offline
trapper
S

Va
Originally Posted by KSlongliner
It does to hold any weight in being OK with restricting lion trapping rights in Texas. This isnt about canned hunting.

I don't have a dog in the hunt. Im not making any comment. Just wanted to know what canned hunt is. I owned a bunch of land in Texas back in the 80's so I'm familiar with Texas. But it don't matter, the antis love people with your attitude.

Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8131657
05/01/24 06:05 PM
05/01/24 06:05 PM
TX
K
KSlongliner Offline OP
trapper
KSlongliner  Offline OP
trapper
K

TX
10/4! Lol Back to the subject at hand.

Last edited by KSlongliner; 05/01/24 06:14 PM.
Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8131787
05/01/24 09:26 PM
05/01/24 09:26 PM
Warren, (Southeast) Texas
ETexTrapper Offline
trapper
ETexTrapper  Offline
trapper

Warren, (Southeast) Texas
TTT

Jordan ADC and Trap Modification
Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8131943
05/02/24 07:41 AM
05/02/24 07:41 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Interesting that it is supposed outlaw "canned" hunts, but doesn't define them. At least in this part of the country, and according to many hunters I talk to, any high fence hunt is considered a canned hunt. By that definition there is a lot of Texas where you suddlenly wouldn't be able to hunt and/or possibly trap lions.

The way this law is written, even though it says it isn't intended to affect trapping other species it obviously does. It specifies a 285 lb breakaway on snares not intended for lethal lion use. This means that any snare without such a breakaway and any trap that might potentially catch a lion would have to be checked every 36 hours.

The most interesting thing about this proposal is that they list several things that they considered doing and rejected because of "compliance issues", these included a simple rule change to require all lion takes to be reported, or another option they rejected was a season and/or bag limit on them. Those were rejected according to their reasoning because people wouldn't comply with them. Yet they expect them to comply with the much more onerous rule they proposed?

Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8132458
05/02/24 10:23 PM
05/02/24 10:23 PM
TX
K
KSlongliner Offline OP
trapper
KSlongliner  Offline OP
trapper
K

TX
If any of y’all are planning on attending the hearing at Austin on May 23rd, please pm me. I am planning on being there. I am also in the works of contacting our allies, in part of the Texas Trappers & Fur Hunters Association, that have commen interest with our association to continue to spread word of this proposal and the negative effects it will have on Agriculture and Wildlife here in TX. As and stated from post above, Texas Trappers & Fur Hunters Association does not support this proposal.

Thanks Yall, and keep spreading the word!

Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8135279
05/07/24 03:56 PM
05/07/24 03:56 PM
TX
K
KSlongliner Offline OP
trapper
KSlongliner  Offline OP
trapper
K

TX

Re: Texas Trappers, your public comment is needed! [Re: KSlongliner] #8143979
05/24/24 01:16 PM
05/24/24 01:16 PM
New Mexico
C
coytrpr Offline
trapper
coytrpr  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Anyone know what occurred at the hearing May 23rd? Obvious from what I had seen already and the use of the word "inhumane" in the justification by TPWD that it was already a done deal. Noted in my comments that if that was the case restrictions needed to apply to government agencies also.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread