Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! #8117718
04/08/24 07:25 PM
04/08/24 07:25 PM
Washington State
P
Parsino Offline OP
trapper
Parsino  Offline OP
trapper
P

Washington State
Completely green trapper here from a state (Washington) that I'm not supposed to be trapping in. The exception to the law is the one that applies to me: the animals are a nuisance to my livestock (chickens).

I've confirmed coyotes, hawks, and eagles as the wildlife I've fed on a regular basis, and I'm highly suspicious of the raccoon population as well.

The primary culprits are the coyotes, which I aim to trap.

I bought an Oneida Victor Softcartch 4-coil SINGLE (the law requires I use a softcatch) and some trap anchors.

The coyotes regularly use a path coming up from the greenbelt next to my house, and I've dug out a spot right next to it. I've been baiting with dry dog food, which gets eaten every day. BUT! The coyotes never set off the trap.

Well, they set it off once. It just so happened a rock got caught in the joint of the trap and it didn't close all the way, so the coyote was able to get out.

I really don't know what I'm doing, and I'm hoping the more experience 'round these parts can help point out to me what I'm doing wrong. Here is my setup:

[Linked Image]

Here is how I have the trap set and anchored. The dog is covered in dirt but I think you can make it out. The mechanism is really stiff--that is I have to give it some good pressure to set it off. Are the traps supposed to stay that way or should I oil it?

You can also see I dug a hole out to make the coyote have to stick its nose in to get all of the food. Better angle in this pic:

[Linked Image]

Obviously, I hid the trap in dirt for the pic. I placed a few sticks around the trap to encourage the coyote to step on the trap instead of around it.

I used a few leaves to hide some of the food to make the coyote curious and (hopefully) take more time doing more work:

[Linked Image]

Like I mentioned above, the dog food gets eaten every night I put it out, so luring the animal isn't an issue. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8117731
04/08/24 07:49 PM
04/08/24 07:49 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
I would forget the stepping sticks & cover the dirt with a covering of grass

Till that day.....
Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8117739
04/08/24 07:56 PM
04/08/24 07:56 PM
Wisconsin
O
Oakey Offline
trapper
Oakey  Offline
trapper
O

Wisconsin
Mice are probably eating the dog food

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Oakey] #8117744
04/08/24 08:00 PM
04/08/24 08:00 PM
Wisconsin
O
Oakey Offline
trapper
Oakey  Offline
trapper
O

Wisconsin
Never oil a trap , never, has that trap been cleaned of factory oil? Also that trap dosnt look solid. If you push down on jaws does it move?

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8117796
04/08/24 08:35 PM
04/08/24 08:35 PM
Upper Michigan
M
maurob Offline
trapper
maurob  Offline
trapper
M

Upper Michigan
I would put a trail camera on it to know for sure what is going on. I would also suggest watching Robert Wadel videos on you tube trapping coyotes. Many people will give you many different opinions. Robert will cut years off a normal persons learning curve.

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8117872
04/08/24 09:37 PM
04/08/24 09:37 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Lose the sticks for some reason coyotes don't like em.

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8117960
04/08/24 11:45 PM
04/08/24 11:45 PM
New Mexico
C
ChadDaniel Offline
trapper
ChadDaniel  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Lose the sticks. Make the bait harder to get too. Oakey is probably right. It’s most likely mice eating the dog food.

May God bless you and yours
Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8117966
04/08/24 11:52 PM
04/08/24 11:52 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Join your state trappers association and get yourself a mentor. Not as simple as asking how to do it on line.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: 20scout] #8117978
04/09/24 12:11 AM
04/09/24 12:11 AM
Washington State
P
Parsino Offline OP
trapper
Parsino  Offline OP
trapper
P

Washington State
Originally Posted by patrapperbuster

Will try!

Originally Posted by Oakey

Gyah. Any time-tested wisdom how to deal with this?

Never oil a trap , never, has that trap been cleaned of factory oil? Also that trap dosnt look solid. If you push down on jaws does it move?

That's what I thought, but wanted to ask anyway. Yes, I cleaned off the factory oil. I didn't push on the jaws to check if it was solid, just the levers. Will check!

Originally Posted by Guss

Will do!

Originally Posted by ChadDaniel
Lose the sticks. Make the bait harder to get too. Oakey is probably right. It’s most likely mice eating the dog food.

Just dig the "nose hole" deeper?

Originally Posted by 20scout
Join your state trappers association and get yourself a mentor. Not as simple as asking how to do it on line.

Didn't even know such a thing existed. Thanks!

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8118020
04/09/24 05:29 AM
04/09/24 05:29 AM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
The saying, "set on sign" literally applies. You have a trail the coyotes are using. Locate were the coyotes are placing their feet as they travel (tracks). Blind set a clean trap directly under their track print[/b]. (They will tend to step in or very near the same spot time and again.). Bed your trap bedrock solid. Cover with duff from the area, use a small broom or rib bone to blend into the surroundings. If you feel you need guiding, a few small stones or twigs will do. Coyotes don't like to be knowing forced to put their feet somewhere; as the same time, they don't like to step on things. Coyotes know their habitat well, small changed do get noticed. No need for bait (meat), coyotes are already coming through.

If one trap is good, multiple traps spaced out along the trail are better. Once set observe from afar. Remake is only needed if sever weather comes through. Patience is indeed a virtue!

Best of luck catching your predator/s.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Scott__aR] #8118155
04/09/24 09:29 AM
04/09/24 09:29 AM
Washington State
P
Parsino Offline OP
trapper
Parsino  Offline OP
trapper
P

Washington State
Originally Posted by Scott__aR
The saying, "set on sign" literally applies. You have a trail the coyotes are using. Locate were the coyotes are placing their feet as they travel (tracks).

Do you have a recommended way to figure this out? I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest: the ground here is hard and the trail is largely covered in beaten down grass. I'll check more closely, but I don't ever remember seeing the coyotes' actual footprints.

Blind set a clean trap directly under their track print[/b]. (They will tend to step in or very near the same spot time and again.).

Absolute greenie here. What is a "clean" trap?

Do I need to dig out a hole to make the trap level with ground (as much as I can on a hill), or just place it straight onto the ground and cover it?

Bed your trap bedrock solid. Cover with duff from the area, use a small broom or rib bone to blend into the surroundings.

More just-fell-off-the-turnip-truck questions: what's duff?

If you feel you need guiding, a few small stones or twigs will do. Coyotes don't like to be knowing forced to put their feet somewhere; as the same time, they don't like to step on things. Coyotes know their habitat well, small changed do get noticed. No need for bait (meat), coyotes are already coming through. If one trap is good, multiple traps spaced out along the trail are better. Once set observe from afar. Remake is only needed if sever weather comes through. Patience is indeed a virtue!

Great, thank you!

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8118560
04/09/24 09:26 PM
04/09/24 09:26 PM
OH
F
Foot Tickler Offline
trapper
Foot Tickler  Offline
trapper
F

OH
All the info the guys have already given you is great advice. I would say the same. Ditch the sticks. If needed maybe a small stick here or there poked straight up from the ground only 1.5 inches or so or a small rock to help guide. Dig that dirt hole deep, I like them very deep. And ditch that dog food trail, it reminds me of that scene with the candy in E.T., no offense. And as they said, you're just going to lose it to the mice anyway. You say they are after your chickens? Give them what they want. Stuff some raw chicken cuts in that dirthole as well as some feathers sticking out (if they are legal in your state, I don't know your laws). That deep dirt hole full of something they can't quite get at will keep him working your set long enough that he will hopefully put his foot where it needs to go naturally. The blind trail sets as mentioned are good too, and duff is the term used for the grass clippings, leaves, etc that are in the area you are trapping. If you blend a blind set well enough it should not exist to the eye at all. Sometimes I make a good set, turn around to do something, then go back and have a hard time figuring out where it is even though I put it there. The set on sign refers to as you mentioned, looking for tracks, scat, etc. And I definitely recommend the trail camera suggestions. Put one up and figure out exactly what you are dealing with. And if a yote truly is running the trail and you keep it on video mode, you may be able to see where he's stepping. Also, you mentioned that you anchored your trap but didn't say how. I just want to make sure that you are anchored well enough. Hopefully you did some test pulls to make sure you couldn't pull your trap right out of the ground. Wouldn't want that yote running off with it when you get him! And I'm sure there's still a lot to cover, it's a big thing for one thread.

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8118637
04/09/24 11:44 PM
04/09/24 11:44 PM
New Mexico
C
ChadDaniel Offline
trapper
ChadDaniel  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Originally Posted by Parsino
Originally Posted by patrapperbuster

Will try!

Gyah. Any time-tested wisdom how to deal with this?

That's what I thought, but wanted to ask anyway. Yes, I cleaned off the factory oil. I didn't push on the jaws to check if it was solid, just the levers. Will check!

Originally Posted by Guss

Will do!

Originally Posted by ChadDaniel

Just dig the "nose hole" deeper?

Originally Posted by 20scout

Didn't even know such a thing existed. Thanks!

Yeah just dig it deeper. Just stick with it. We all started out the same way.

May God bless you and yours
Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8118648
04/10/24 12:40 AM
04/10/24 12:40 AM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Parsino
The saying, "set on sign" literally applies. You have a trail the coyotes are using. Locate were the coyotes are placing their feet as they travel (tracks).

Do you have a recommended way to figure this out? I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest: the ground here is hard and the trail is largely covered in beaten down grass. I'll check more closely, but I don't ever remember seeing the coyotes' actual footprints.

If you can't determine where they are stepping, cover a short length of the trail were your placing a trap with a light dusting of play sand, just enough to detect a footprint. High areas along the trail are good places to look, coyotes like to get up higher to look around, even if it's only a few inches. Any interesting features intersecting the trail: other trails, roadways, changes in topography or forages.

Blind set a clean trap directly under their track print[/b]. (They will tend to step in or very near the same spot time and again.).

Absolute greenie here. What is a "clean" trap?

A clean trap is a trap that has been washed removing all the oil. Dying and waxing or painting isn't needed the first season, a bare metal trap can be used. After cleaning a new trap in Dawn dish soap and hot, hot water ... Don't handle it bare handed, let it dry out in the air. I store my traps in a plastic tote with evergreen bows; ,but that is the makeup of my forest areas.

Do I need to dig out a hole to make the trap level with ground (as much as I can on a hill), or just place it straight onto the ground and cover it?

You will want to dig or chop out a trap bed to position the trap pan at ground level. A bowl shape under the trap to catch water and drill or punch a deep hole in the bottom of the bowl to allow water to disperse under the trap. (See the basic sets section here on Trapperman)

Bed your trap bedrock solid. Cover with duff from the area, use a small broom or rib bone to blend into the surroundings.

More just-fell-off-the-turnip-truck questions: what's duff?

Duff is simply crushed or finely cut up ground clutter ... leaves, grass, fine ground dirt, etc. you will need some type of trap cover to prevent the duff from falling under the pan ... Underalls (tm), polyfill [under the pan], or crumbled wax paper, window screen, ect. [over the pan].

If you feel you need guiding, a few small stones or twigs will do. Coyotes don't like to be knowing forced to put their feet somewhere; as the same time, they don't like to step on things. Coyotes know their habitat well, small changed do get noticed. No need for bait (meat), coyotes are already coming through. If one trap is good, multiple traps spaced out along the trail are better. Once set observe from afar. Remake is only needed if sever weather comes through. Patience is indeed a virtue!

Great, thank you!

The idea is after you have made your set that it's location is undetectable.

Washington State Trappers Association

Last edited by Scott__aR; 04/10/24 12:44 AM. Reason: Added WA link

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8121034
04/13/24 05:18 PM
04/13/24 05:18 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Your lack of understanding the basics lead me to recommend hiring a professional. Unlike the Wiley coyote. Cartoons. The American coyote is actually a very wary and intelligent predator. If you were to catch this animal, it would be by pure, dumb luck. Sorry I can’t be of more help but after messing with these animals for decades, I have a great deal of respect for them.

Last edited by cmcf; 04/13/24 05:21 PM.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8121126
04/13/24 08:31 PM
04/13/24 08:31 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
Sorry to be the party pooper but you are only allowed to use cages in Washington state without a special permit. From what I can gather you can dispatch them on your property but there is a question as to if you need a small game license to cover all your bases. Make sure you do all your research and if let’s say someone was to use a foothold to take care of the problem they probably wouldn’t want to draw attention to themselves on social media. Not getting on the op just trying to prevent possible issues

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8121131
04/13/24 08:38 PM
04/13/24 08:38 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Demo I filmed from a great trapper down here . Mabye it will help smile

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8130705
04/29/24 10:13 PM
04/29/24 10:13 PM
NV
2bit Offline
trapper
2bit  Offline
trapper

NV
A lot of great advice here, and maybe look into deleting this post? If I was setting a foothold trap I would make sure that there is no dirt under the pan, Insulation, cotton balls, dry leaves, anything that will compress but keep the dirt at bay. I have done ok with just covering with grass and nothing else. Works well in muddy situations. I make a mouse hole and set the trap back about 8-10" and off to one side of the hole. Nothing to guide them other than the angle of the hole. I try to make a very shallow angle. Now if you're in an area where you cannot discharge a firearm, you should think about how to dispatch the critter if you happen to catch it. If it's a trail they use regularly, bait may hinder more than help.

Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8130748
04/30/24 02:35 AM
04/30/24 02:35 AM
Hutchinson KS
D
DirtyD Offline
trapper
DirtyD  Offline
trapper
D

Hutchinson KS
This is a coon trail, but a blind set is a blind set. That's probably 75% of my sets. Can u see where the #2 DLS is??
[Linked Image]

How about now??....
[Linked Image]

Don't think that only one thing travels them trails... I've caught Bob cat on trails like that.

lassier les bon temps rouler!!!!!!!!
CWC Wildlife Control
Re: Catching Wile E. Coyote - Need help! [Re: Parsino] #8131084
04/30/24 04:07 PM
04/30/24 04:07 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Dirty D, how many times a day you have to reset due to deer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91