No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Thermal coyote #8118585
04/09/24 10:08 PM
04/09/24 10:08 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Well it’s about time! Went through a long dry spell and a while of not even going out.
Went out last night after finding some tracks along a drain while turkey hunting this weekend and set up for that drain. Unfortunately the coyotes were already out hunting and answered behind me. One came in but offered no shot. To be honest, had he not barked at me looking for his mate I’d probably never have turned around.

Went this evening and set up about 700yds East on a hill overlooking a burn and gave it a go. Started with a pair howl, then a lone howl, then went to a couple coyote fights. I paused anywhere from 30secs to a couple minutes between calls and then went silent for about 5 minutes.

When that didn’t produce I went to a lonely female howl, then an invite howl, then a Hot to Trot howl. I was scanning and could partially see a field to my left and noticed deer scattering. About that time I saw the coyote and hit the record button.

Yeah, my shooting sucks and I missed the first shot, lol. Luckily suppressors are made for people that can’t shoot and gives them a second chance. Second shot wasn’t pretty either but that’s why I shoot 165gr bullets out of a .308…they are very forgiving.

I’m guessing it was confused about the sound of the shot and the fact my caller was still howling away at max volume. He died all of 20yds dead in front of the ICOtec.

[Linked Image]

Re: Thermal coyote [Re: Wanna Be] #8118610
04/09/24 10:39 PM
04/09/24 10:39 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Pretty or not, you got him wink

Re: Thermal coyote [Re: Wanna Be] #8118778
04/10/24 08:50 AM
04/10/24 08:50 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Good stuff WB!

What e-caller do you recommend?

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Thermal coyote [Re: Wanna Be] #8118795
04/10/24 09:20 AM
04/10/24 09:20 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
that looks like a blast

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Thermal coyote [Re: Wanna Be] #8118801
04/10/24 09:35 AM
04/10/24 09:35 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Really cool. I’m thinking this year I’ll take the thermal plunge.

I’ve hesitated for a reason. Must be 20 some years back before the night vision and thermals caught on I would do some night shooting with lights. I was on a big Wyoming spread it was a nice warm rare windless night and I decided to night call with my companion.
We geared up and drove out of the ranch headquarters after dark to an area better than 8 miles out. We set up, sat a bit eyes adjusting and letting things quiet down.
We then called a while and had eyes coming in, caught em in the broad light. It came in to where I liked it and the partner dropped more red on it for the silhouette and i was finger twitching when at the last second I backed down, don’t know why something wasn’t right.
Turns out it was one of the cattle dogs from the ranch that had followed us out all that way.

I never did much night work after that if any. Just couldn’t imagine doing that to my host.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Thermal coyote [Re: Wanna Be] #8118802
04/10/24 09:37 AM
04/10/24 09:37 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Kill them all

Re: Thermal coyote [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8118871
04/10/24 11:23 AM
04/10/24 11:23 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Good stuff WB!

What e-caller do you recommend?

That’s a tough call. I like the ICOtec, but I’ve hunted over the Luck Duck and the FoxPro X24. I’m probably gonna add the FoxPro to my arsenal soon. Then again, I may go with Lucky Duck.

I like the ICOtec, I just think the other two are louder. But, for my area I’m satisfied with the Outlaw. According to reviews, each has its pro’s and con’s. I will say this about the ICOtec, you DO NOT need line of sight for the unit and can put that sucker farther than I feel comfortable shooting and it still play.
Now why is that necessary?? For me it’s wind direction and where I “think” the coyotes are. A cross wind works the best for me vs straight upwind.

I don’t think coyotes approach downwind because they’re suspicious of something. I think they realize if that sound dies, they’ll use their nose to find the source of that sound. In that video the wind was blowing from the direction the coyote came from. He was angling downwind of the call at first shot. When he cut left I think he saw the call or smelled where I’d walked and went back right. I think the fact the caller was still going max volume and somewhere there was a coyote howling and the fact the shot was “suppressed” he didn’t know what happened. Turns out I nicked him the first shot which really makes it strange. And the fact the caller was in like a “bowl” so to speak so that might have played a part as well. Regardless, it’s a dead coyote and the manager is happy and I get paid, lol.

Re: Thermal coyote [Re: Wanna Be] #8119328
04/11/24 07:15 AM
04/11/24 07:15 AM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Cool video and nice setup! Keep the vids coming.

I run an icotech as well and only have one complaint.... lack of time to use it. Lol

Ol dad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread