No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Beekeepers [Re: Raghorn67] #8107688
03/25/24 03:35 PM
03/25/24 03:35 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
If the reason you're getting into bees is because of the honey, you are wasting your time (and money). If raising bees sounds interesting to you, you are on the right track. The honey will come later. Much, much later and at a premium expense.

I remember when I sold my 1st gallon of honey to my friend. He said "I'll give you however much you have into it so far". I said "OK, That'll be 5 grand in cash". And I wasn't joking.

It's like any business (trapping alike) it takes a lot of money before you start to break even after expenses.

That said, I think bee keeping prompts a similar response that trapping does. If you like trapping, you'll probably like bee keeping.

I haven't read one bee keeping book but I've probably watched thousands of hours of videos (I'm a visual learner). There are some good guys (commercial guys included) on youtube. Just have to sort through them some.

A class is mandatory but some beekeeping assertions are filled with screwballs and people that are stuck in 1st gear when it comes to bee keeping, IMO. Finding someone that actually runs it as a business is gold.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: Drifter] #8107695
03/25/24 03:47 PM
03/25/24 03:47 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Drifter
I had a brainstorm that actually worked. Got 2 pieces of glass that used when embedding the wire. One on each side of the glass. Stopped the curls and bumps.

Would love to see that. I use the old standard embedding board jig and still get a few ripples in a few.

[Linked Image]
Re: Beekeepers [Re: Calvin] #8107854
03/25/24 09:09 PM
03/25/24 09:09 PM
West central Missouri
R
Raghorn67 Offline OP
trapper
Raghorn67  Offline OP
trapper
R

West central Missouri
Originally Posted by Calvin
If the reason you're getting into bees is because of the honey, you are wasting your time (and money). If raising bees sounds interesting to you, you are on the right track. The honey will come later. Much, much later and at a premium expense.

I remember when I sold my 1st gallon of honey to my friend. He said "I'll give you however much you have into it so far". I said "OK, That'll be 5 grand in cash". And I wasn't joking.

It's like any business (trapping alike) it takes a lot of money before you start to break even after expenses.

That said, I think bee keeping prompts a similar response that trapping does. If you like trapping, you'll probably like bee keeping.

I haven't read one bee keeping book but I've probably watched thousands of hours of videos (I'm a visual learner). There are some good guys (commercial guys included) on youtube. Just have to sort through them some.

A class is mandatory but some beekeeping assertions are filled with screwballs and people that are stuck in 1st gear when it comes to bee keeping, IMO. Finding someone that actually runs it as a business is gold.

Having my own honey is part of the reason I have an interest in bees.
More bountiful fruit trees and gardens are at the top of the list
I have always wanted bees,but I have traveled for many years of my career.
Now I'm done traveling and my life is more suited to get into things like this and getting into trapping again. Which I haven't been able to do since I was in my teens.
I'm not looking to get rich from them. Should there be a time when they make me a few extra bucks,then that's great. If it happens like that, then I will have a little extra something for trade bait for things like fresh milk and cream. Because I have no interest in having a milk cow.

Ya can't be scared all of your life
Re: Beekeepers [Re: Raghorn67] #8107900
03/25/24 09:57 PM
03/25/24 09:57 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Give it a go Raghorn. You'll either fall in love with it, or you'll let it die out. Only one way to find that out. Sounds like the timing is right. Once you get your feet under you a little bit, Take a look at Micheal Palmers videos regarding "The sustainable apiary" (free on youtube). Most hobby bee keepers lose most of their money buying bees every year that die off in the winter. Learn how to make your own bees from your current bee stock (going into winter with more colonies than you want come spring is the key) and quit buying bees every spring at $180 a pop. I haven't bought a bee in years and years now and this is how I save a LOT of money (or spend a LOT less). Beeing a good beekeeper turns into being a great honey producer. Has to be in that order, though. Learning how to keep those bees alive this far north all winter is the key. I wish you the best.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: warrior] #8107906
03/25/24 10:12 PM
03/25/24 10:12 PM
NW Oklahoma
O
Okie Farmer Offline
trapper
Okie Farmer  Offline
trapper
O

NW Oklahoma
Originally Posted by warrior
Bigbrownie touched on something, the massive availability of information. Much of it good much of it not.

Do not buy into "treatment free" hands off do nothing styles of keeping bees. Bees are livestock and subject to all sorts of diseases and parasites. You would not get a flock of chickens and not do what you can to keep them healthy or prevent predators from carrying them off. Do the same for bees.

My advice learn to walk before you try to run. Go with what works and has worked for over a century, standard langstroth hive and standard practices. Once you got that down then feel free to try other things. The good things is that bees will be bees and they know what they are doing. Learn to work with them and not against them.

When you're ready to tackle the varroa issue go to www.scientificbeekeeping.com and read everything. That'll keep you busy for awhile.

Do not adopt an anticommercial position like so many try to get new beekeepers to do. The commercial guys love bees just as much if not more than the backyard keepers. Matter of fact many of them rely on backyard keepers for bee sales such as packages, nucs, queens or equipment and many go out of their way to help new beekeepers.

One youtube channel to watch is Bob Binnie's.

Bob Binnie has a very easy to listen to style and shares a lot of information. I don't have bees but keep learning and say someday.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: Raghorn67] #8108122
03/26/24 09:59 AM
03/26/24 09:59 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
There is an extreme amount of peace in looking out at my bee yard and seeing bees fly after winter......I know I have enough resources and the knowledge to build up just as many hives as I want to take care of. I very much enjoy raising up my own queens and seeing them lay good patterns of new brood for me. To me - that beats the enjoyment of honey. With a little knowledge and several failures, a bee keeper has the ability to build up however many hives they want in a few short years without purchasing any new bees.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: warrior] #8108405
03/26/24 05:35 PM
03/26/24 05:35 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I built mine as an addition to what my mentor was using. It doesn't eliminate all the ripples but does help.

I used the .5 MM wire that get from the supplier and the eyelets that push into the frames. If don't use them the wire pulls down into the frames and will not stay even on tension.lace the wire to have 4 strands. I staple the ends. Next need to build a base to hold the frame in place his was made of 1 inch board. It was sized to the top of the board the glass rested on.and the foundation was under the wire. next a 1 x 1 about 3" long drill a hole for it to pivot on about 1 /1x1/4 from the bottom frame. This will bow the bottom frame up some.

Glass goes in next then the heat to embed the wire.

Several designs on how that is done but a transformer from E bay made for it works for me. release tension and slide sideways a bit to break the wax bond and you are done. If you have embedded before you know you have to play around some to find your happy spot. Any questions fire away.

Last edited by Drifter; 03/26/24 05:44 PM. Reason: added for clarity

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Beekeepers [Re: Raghorn67] #8109406
03/27/24 09:54 PM
03/27/24 09:54 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

Make sure your not allergic. Today I went over and hived a swarm I caught and I over winterered at a friend's house I caught it at. He wanted to get into bee keeping so I picked him up all the supplies.

Or schedules didn't line up untill late this evening (aka all the bees were at home). I prefer to do this mid day when a lot are out of the hive. He wore a Vail and London sleeves but got stung a few times. Not long after he said he always itching and his lips were swelling up. I sent him in to get some Benadryl and we finished up. He has never had that kind of reaction from being stung before. I left to go to work he went to the walk in clinic and got two shots in his butt. I'm now wondering how long he will be keeping bees.

I didn't wear a Vail and had on a t shirt. I got several stings where I smashed them on accident and a few on my head. Got more than I realized. My buddy said let me get these stingers out of your four head. I thought it felt like I had one but he got out5. He asked me how many stings I got and I didn't know but it was more than I thought. He guessed 25 I don't think more than 12 maybe 16 max. I can't see through a Vail well and don't like wearing gloves or long sleeves. I get more stings at times but often I don't gat any.

I used to swell up and it would get worse with each successive sting even if it was days to a week between. Now it takes a several stings in a one area to get a light reaction. They really don't bother me much any more.

My wife used to not be bothered by them at all . Now she had a negative reaction swelling and sore for days and had to get antibiotics a few times.

So our bodies reactions change and just because you have been fine in the past doesn't mean your ok now.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: Raghorn67] #8109409
03/27/24 09:57 PM
03/27/24 09:57 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Antibiotics for bee stings?

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Beekeepers [Re: Raghorn67] #8109552
03/28/24 01:25 AM
03/28/24 01:25 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Work bees at night or during rain you will suffer the brunt of them.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: Drifter] #8109565
03/28/24 05:39 AM
03/28/24 05:39 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Work bees at night or during rain you will suffer the brunt of them.

And Darth.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: beaverpeeler] #8109566
03/28/24 05:41 AM
03/28/24 05:41 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Antibiotics for bee stings?

Yes, the stinger causes some sort of infection.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: Raghorn67] #8110051
03/28/24 06:29 PM
03/28/24 06:29 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Shortly before moving here had an allergic reaction hadn't heard of. Get hit on right side made me swell up for a few days. Get stung on left side just itching and a red dot. Anyone else heard of that?Before that used to swell some but nothing serious.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: Drifter] #8110221
03/28/24 10:49 PM
03/28/24 10:49 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Shortly before moving here had an allergic reaction hadn't heard of. Get hit on right side made me swell up for a few days. Get stung on left side just itching and a red dot. Anyone else heard of that?Before that used to swell some but nothing serious.

My wife swells up and gets a large red welp often first size. A few times it keep growing and that when she went to the DR. Oddly she used to have no reaction and stings didn't bother her at all. At the same time stings mad me swell and have irritation and it would be much worse if I was stung again within a week. Now stings don't bother me much at all even when I get over 20 at a time. But now I e stung cause her irritation and discomfort for a few days.

Re: Beekeepers [Re: Raghorn67] #8127994
04/24/24 09:28 PM
04/24/24 09:28 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
American honeybees are at an all time high:

https://www.wpr.org/news/honey-native-bees-popular-struggle

I didn't realize there are so many types of native bees.

Last edited by AJE; 04/24/24 09:28 PM.
Re: Beekeepers [Re: Okie Farmer] #8128015
04/24/24 09:51 PM
04/24/24 09:51 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Okie Farmer
Originally Posted by warrior
Bigbrownie touched on something, the massive availability of information. Much of it good much of it not.

Do not buy into "treatment free" hands off do nothing styles of keeping bees. Bees are livestock and subject to all sorts of diseases and parasites. You would not get a flock of chickens and not do what you can to keep them healthy or prevent predators from carrying them off. Do the same for bees.

My advice learn to walk before you try to run. Go with what works and has worked for over a century, standard langstroth hive and standard practices. Once you got that down then feel free to try other things. The good things is that bees will be bees and they know what they are doing. Learn to work with them and not against them.

When you're ready to tackle the varroa issue go to www.scientificbeekeeping.com and read everything. That'll keep you busy for awhile.

Do not adopt an anticommercial position like so many try to get new beekeepers to do. The commercial guys love bees just as much if not more than the backyard keepers. Matter of fact many of them rely on backyard keepers for bee sales such as packages, nucs, queens or equipment and many go out of their way to help new beekeepers.

One youtube channel to watch is Bob Binnie's.

Bob Binnie has a very easy to listen to style and shares a lot of information. I don't have bees but keep learning and say someday.

A little about Bob. For a west coast transplant he's about as good a north Georgia sourwood beekeeper as there ever was. Bob will go just about anywhere in the state to talk to a local club and refuses to take speakers fees and his operation is about as far north as you can go and not be in North Carolina. He's active in our state association which makes him an oddity as most commercial guys washed their hands of the Atlanta/UGA clique over a decade ago. Bob regularly donates time and bees to the UGA bee lab and participates in ongoing bee research.

I don't know Bob well but he's one of those guys that I enjoy being around and take note of all that e says when it comes to bees. The late Carl Webb was another.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread