No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Real honey [Re: hippie] #8105258
03/21/24 07:40 PM
03/21/24 07:40 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by hippie
Is it true that local honey helps people with allergies?

I'm hesitant for beekeepers to make broad claims but theoretically local honey from your specific area would contain pollens from that area IF the bees worked that particular pollen source.

So assuming a particular reaction to one of those pollens so consuming local honey could desensitize a person to that particular pollen.

However, most hayfever pollens are grass and wind pollinated tree pollens such as conifers, oaks, hickories which for the most part are not preferred by honey bees.

So IMO it's a crap shoot but it can't hurt and honey has many other beneficial aspects.

[Linked Image]
Re: Real honey [Re: Gary Benson] #8105265
03/21/24 07:45 PM
03/21/24 07:45 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Never kept bees, but have been known to find a swarm and extract the honey.

Member - FTA
Re: Real honey [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #8105271
03/21/24 07:54 PM
03/21/24 07:54 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
I stored honey in a dark cupboard , and it turned dark and sour.
Is that normal if not stored in day light?
Heard it was too much moisture in it.

Many honeys will darken over time mostly due to oxidation but UV can have negative effects as well. It's particularly noticeable during the extraction process which introduces a good bit of air as it is spun out of the combs. I've seen pure basswood which is as clear as water in the comb, we call it water white, take on a slight hue from just being extracted and bottled.

Sour would indicate fermentation which as said is due to excessive moisture. The reason honey stores well is the bees dry it down below 18%, on average, water content which is to low for yeasts to function. Though that's not a hard and fast as some nectars are notorious for high moisture and can ferment even when capped by the bees and others are much dryer. Commercial packers maintain hot rooms with fans and dehumidifiers to recieve and store incoming honey supers and drums prior to extraction and/or bottling.

Hobbyists can do so on a smaller scale much like we might dry fur.

Fermented honey can be salvaged if caught early or made into mead.

BTW commercial honey is traditionally shipped in 55 gallon drums. Fermenting honey can pop those drums.

[Linked Image]
Re: Real honey [Re: warrior] #8105447
03/22/24 12:22 AM
03/22/24 12:22 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
I stored honey in a dark cupboard , and it turned dark and sour.
Is that normal if not stored in day light?
Heard it was too much moisture in it.

Many honeys will darken over time mostly due to oxidation but UV can have negative effects as well. It's particularly noticeable during the extraction process which introduces a good bit of air as it is spun out of the combs. I've seen pure basswood which is as clear as water in the comb, we call it water white, take on a slight hue from just being extracted and bottled.

Sour would indicate fermentation which as said is due to excessive moisture. The reason honey stores well is the bees dry it down below 18%, on average, water content which is to low for yeasts to function. Though that's not a hard and fast as some nectars are notorious for high moisture and can ferment even when capped by the bees and others are much dryer. Commercial packers maintain hot rooms with fans and dehumidifiers to recieve and store incoming honey supers and drums prior to extraction and/or bottling.

BTW commercial honey is traditionally shipped in 55 gallon drums. Fermenting honey can pop those drums.

For those of us that do make mead...which of those nectars would be good to look for if you can get it fresh enough? We put enough yeast nutrient and energizer in to get things going but its nice to not to have to fight it.

Re: Real honey [Re: hippie] #8105468
03/22/24 03:54 AM
03/22/24 03:54 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by hippie
Is it true that local honey helps people with allergies?

Before I keep bees I heard this and figured it was bs. Then I had development of allergies and they were really bothering me. My wife suggested honey I blew it off. Well when they got irritating enough I tried the local honey she picked up and in a short time no more allergie issues. My thoughts at the time was well probably just went away on its own.

I had similar thoughts when I heard stings helped with arthritis. I thought those people will believe anything. Well I developed arthritis, and became a bee keeper and naturally get stung some. Well my arthritis doesn't bother me during bee season but during winter or even during bee season when I don't get stung for several weeks it starts bothering me again. Is it the bee venom having anti inflammatory properties or the arthritis is only bothersome when I'm not around bees and it's the winter weather ECT?

Personally I believe God provided us with everything we need to fix ourselves on the planet. And I do believe honey and bee venom helps with both. I have nothing but my personal experience. I'm sure there are studies out there on both. But there are also studies saying covid shots are safe and effective. As well as scientists saying things like the science is settled. The most unscientific statement I have ever heard the exact opposite of science in every regard. So I don't put much stock in studies unless I spend a ton of time looking at the method used to get data, sample size, and who funded the studies

Re: Real honey [Re: Gary Benson] #8105537
03/22/24 07:40 AM
03/22/24 07:40 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Originally Posted by warrior

For those of us that do make mead...which of those nectars would be good to look for if you can get it fresh enough? We put enough yeast nutrient and energizer in to get things going but its nice to not to have to fight it.

Palmetto is known for high moisture and a high natural yeast content.

[Linked Image]
Re: Real honey [Re: Gary Benson] #8105601
03/22/24 09:11 AM
03/22/24 09:11 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Id imagine getting palmetto honey would be hard to get up this way

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3