No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Planting trees for wildlife #8105074
03/21/24 02:20 PM
03/21/24 02:20 PM
Virginia
G
GUNNLEG Offline OP
trapper
GUNNLEG  Offline OP
trapper
G

Virginia
Put in 140 hard and soft mast trees last year and am currently dropping in another 60 more over 4 different food plots. Just about 7 acres in all. The tree tubes seem to be the way to go so far from what I've seen. I had 7 trees not make it from last year and it was probably my fault on 4-5 of them as I hadn't staked them properly and the tree had been girdled.

Anyone have any longterm results with kill rates, length of time to see mast, etc.?

I went with around 30% Sawtooth, 30% Chestnut, 30% White Oak and 10% Red oak for the hard mast. Soft mast was 4 varieties of crab apple, 4 varieties of pear and persimmon.

Trees.pngBareroot oaks.jpg
Re: Planting trees for wildlife [Re: GUNNLEG] #8105076
03/21/24 02:25 PM
03/21/24 02:25 PM
Virginia
G
GUNNLEG Offline OP
trapper
GUNNLEG  Offline OP
trapper
G

Virginia
Not sure what happened with the first pic try...

IMG_4909 (002).jpg
Re: Planting trees for wildlife [Re: GUNNLEG] #8105085
03/21/24 02:37 PM
03/21/24 02:37 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Very nice!! I have a hard time raising trees at the ranch. I don't necessarily plant them for main purpose for wildlife but for wind block, shade and places to catch snow.

The wildlife eat kill and destroy everything.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Planting trees for wildlife [Re: GUNNLEG] #8105087
03/21/24 02:40 PM
03/21/24 02:40 PM
North Central Kansas
O
Orlando Offline
trapper
Orlando  Offline
trapper
O

North Central Kansas
My experience is tree tubes are a must. I have planted several hundred burr oak, red oak, and sawtooths about 14 years ago with probably a 90% survival rate in tubes. I've seen just a few acorns so far. Burr oaks have done the best for me and are 16-18' tall. But, burr oak is native to this area. So, I would expect them to do better.
I am disappointed the sawtooths have not yielded any acorns as I expected them to do so after 5 or 6 years.
I cannot tell how you staked he tree tubes. But, the trees need to move some with the wind to develop stem strength and girth. Also, if the tubes are fairly solid, when the trees grow out the top of the tubes, a strong wind will break them off.
One last thing. I cannot tell what the vegetation is around the tubes. However, grasses will really restrict what nutrients/water etc can get to the tree roots and will impede the trees' growth rates. Reminds me - I need to fire up my sprayer and knock down the grass around my trees! (weeds may look unsightly but do not form sod like grass.)

Good Luck!

Nature is reckless of the individual. Aldo Leupold.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread