Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Finanally... beaver property [Re: Yukon John] #8099930
03/15/24 12:54 AM
03/15/24 12:54 AM
Hutchinson KS
D
DirtyD Offline OP
trapper
DirtyD  Offline OP
trapper
D

Hutchinson KS
Originally Posted by Yukon John
Originally Posted by DirtyD
Ok... so I re-did some of these sets. I did it the way Dale Billingsly shows it.. since it's steep banks I cut a shelf and did a caster mound and then made a pool at water level with a Mudd berm around the trap area... I turned the trap to the side and offset it to where the front edge of the loose jaw is even with the caster mound and the trap pan is on the down stream side.... there was fresh tracks within inches of my pan on two other sets other than the one that got tripped.. hopefully we will see in the morning if this method will help with missed catches.. what yall think about large pans for beaver?? Think it's worth the extra effort??

I don't like big pans for beaver, I want their whole foot in the trap. I've had too many toe catches to convince me otherwise.

It's the stock pan on them Bridger #3 and #4's.. so not worth the big pans.??. should I cut them down then?

Last edited by DirtyD; 03/15/24 04:58 AM.

lassier les bon temps rouler!!!!!!!!
CWC Wildlife Control
Re: Finanally... beaver property [Re: Yukon John] #8099932
03/15/24 12:55 AM
03/15/24 12:55 AM
Hutchinson KS
D
DirtyD Offline OP
trapper
DirtyD  Offline OP
trapper
D

Hutchinson KS
Originally Posted by Yukon John
BTW DD, you got any otters out your way yet? Just curious how far west they've made it.

Yes.. they have them here... they are not as plentiful as back down south Louisiana where I grew up, but they are here.

CWC Wildlife Control
Re: Finanally... beaver property [Re: DirtyD] #8100835
03/16/24 09:32 AM
03/16/24 09:32 AM
Hutchinson KS
D
DirtyD Offline OP
trapper
DirtyD  Offline OP
trapper
D

Hutchinson KS
Ever since that miss... everything went stale... about how long they usually hold up b4 coming back in the area? 5-7 day yall think??

CWC Wildlife Control
Re: Finanally... beaver property [Re: DirtyD] #8104112
03/20/24 08:16 AM
03/20/24 08:16 AM
Hutchinson KS
D
DirtyD Offline OP
trapper
DirtyD  Offline OP
trapper
D

Hutchinson KS
Well... finally connected... thought I was gonna have to call a priest to get this creature out off my beaver trap... had the most demonic looking coon on the end of that drowner rod... idk how he managed to get front foot caught on a trap that bedded about 6" deep of water w/a caster mound... the cartilage and part of the skull on the nose was showing, patches of fur missing.. no lips..... crazy looking thing. I normally eat coon, but I think ima let the coyotes and opossums have this one...

CWC Wildlife Control
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91