No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Stacking silver [Re: Boco] #8102186
03/17/24 08:57 PM
03/17/24 08:57 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by Boco
The US Gubmint buys a lot of gold

The thread is about silver. Some people can't follow directions. Lol

Re: Stacking silver [Re: Finster] #8102195
03/17/24 09:03 PM
03/17/24 09:03 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Its about gold silver copper zinc,the stock market, etc.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Stacking silver [Re: Boco] #8102203
03/17/24 09:10 PM
03/17/24 09:10 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by Boco
Its about gold silver copper zinc,the stock market, etc.

It says. "Stacking silver".

Re: Stacking silver [Re: Spike369] #8102256
03/17/24 09:46 PM
03/17/24 09:46 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by Spike369
You can buy a silver dollar for 20 bucks. Problem is you only get a dollar for it at the store. Don't see where it's a hedge to inflation.

If you can find authentic silver dollars for 20 dollars, i'll take 250.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Stacking silver [Re: Finster] #8102276
03/17/24 10:02 PM
03/17/24 10:02 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I can think of one good use for silver coins

accepting payment from people in silver and paying in silver

because US mint Silver or US mint gold has a face value of what is marked on the face

so a 20 dollar golden eagle is 20 dollars face value and a silver dollar has a face value of 1 dollar

so if you bought a car from your cousin for 3 gold coins with a face value of 20 dollars each then you can report 60 dollars as the purchase price to pay tax on.
and he can claim 60 dollars as his income.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Stacking silver [Re: Twisted metal] #8102288
03/17/24 10:24 PM
03/17/24 10:24 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Originally Posted by Twisted metal
Originally Posted by waggler
Historically, the past 75 years or so the average ratio between gold and silver has been about 35:1.

If you go back to about 3500 years the ratio was about 2:1, during Roman times it was about 12:1. The reason being is that in the distant past it was easier to find and produce gold than it was silver. Gold is often found in it's native form, while silver is nearly always found combined with other elements and compounds such as oxides, and sulfides. In ancient times they did not have the technology to as easily extract silver as they did gold; thus silver had a higher value than it did today, relatively speaking. The different costs of production of the two metals is still effecting the markets today. Gold and silver do not necessarily move in the same direction proportionately.

The greater divergence between silver and gold in recent years has been much greater; today it is 86:1. There are several reasons for this. I will mention one reason, and I hardly ever see anything written about this.

The vast majority of gold being produced is coming from gold mines. These mines only produce gold when it is economically feasible to produce it from the particular mine.

The vast majority of silver is produced as a byproduct from copper, lead, and gold mines, some comes from recycling also. Only a small percentage of silver actually comes from primary silver mines. This means that new silver is coming mostly as a byproduct. Since this silver is being produced as a byproduct, the economics of it's production aren't really of any consideration since it's just a residual product of things like copper production.

Think now of the increase in copper (and other metals) production in order to meet the demands from the switch to electric energy rather than carbon based fuels. There will be more and more silver coming on the market due to the increased mining of copper and other metals. Silver is then just a freebie to the copper/lead/gold mining companies, and it gets dumped on the market regardless of price.

Well said !!! Being in the mining industry myself I don’t think silver will make any big jumps anytime soon

Never thought of it that way.

Re: Stacking silver [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8102553
03/18/24 10:42 AM
03/18/24 10:42 AM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

because US mint Silver or US mint gold has a face value of what is marked on the face

so a 20 dollar golden eagle is 20 dollars face value and a silver dollar has a face value of 1 dollar

so if you bought a car from your cousin for 3 gold coins with a face value of 20 dollars each then you can report 60 dollars as the purchase price to pay tax on.

Just spitballing because I don’t know how the IRS would respond to such a move, but possibly they might assign some sort of gift tax on the difference between face value of bullion exchanged and the fair market value of the asset?

Re: Stacking silver [Re: BvrRetriever] #8102593
03/18/24 11:30 AM
03/18/24 11:30 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Just spitballing because I don’t know how the IRS would respond to such a move, but possibly they might assign some sort of gift tax on the difference between face value of bullion exchanged and the fair market value of the asset?

I actually saw this happen back in 1984. One guy wanted to sell his airplane and another wanted to buy it. The buyer was an Alaska State Trooper. They agreed on a price but then the seller said he wanted to be paid in US junk silver coins.
The buyer purchased the amount of junk silver that equaled the agreed upon price and gave it to the seller. That was the culmination of the deal.

The seller got the value he wanted but the face value of the coins was considerably less.

The IRS was never involved. Nor were any banks. It was a private sale.

Mean As Nails
Re: Stacking silver [Re: Finster] #8102651
03/18/24 12:58 PM
03/18/24 12:58 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Junk silver coins
50s quarters dimes

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale,,,,,,May special,,, Act Now... Free Sock with every purchase
Re: Stacking silver [Re: white17] #8102659
03/18/24 01:07 PM
03/18/24 01:07 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by white17

I actually saw this happen back in 1984. One guy wanted to sell his airplane and another wanted to buy it. The buyer was an Alaska State Trooper. They agreed on a price but then the seller said he wanted to be paid in US junk silver coins.
The buyer purchased the amount of junk silver that equaled the agreed upon price and gave it to the seller. That was the culmination of the deal.

The seller got the value he wanted but the face value of the coins was considerably less.

The IRS was never involved. Nor were any banks. It was a private sale.

I have a co-worker that does something along this lines apparently a lot of people at his church do.
he got audited 3 years in a row but they had legal council lined up first.
first thing they all did was write the treasury and ask what is the face value of a 20 dollar golden eagle and a silver dollar.
the treasury wrote them back 20 dollars and 1 dollar same as paper.
with that letter they began.
I don't know the extent that his group pays each other in coin or uses it as a physical savings but enough that most of them got audited a few times.
they all stood up to the audit and kept going now they don't get audited.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Stacking silver [Re: Finster] #8102679
03/18/24 01:35 PM
03/18/24 01:35 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I just don’t see the IRS falling for that. Take the sale of a $50k vehicle for example. For simplicity, I’ll use $2k actual value per $20 gold coin face value. Same sale two different ways:

Pay 25 gold coins ($500 face value) for a $50,000 vehicle.

Pay $500 paper cash for a $50,000 vehicle.

Based on face value, the buyer paid less than fair market value and there is going to be a gift tax involved. Except the transaction with gold is actually penalized with the gift tax because the real value of gold exchanged is equal to the fair market value of the asset. At least that’s the way I see it.

Re: Stacking silver [Re: Finster] #8102692
03/18/24 01:47 PM
03/18/24 01:47 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
On the other hand..........selling your used truck isn't a taxable event unless you have to recover previous depreciation on a business asset

Mean As Nails
Re: Stacking silver [Re: BvrRetriever] #8102696
03/18/24 01:54 PM
03/18/24 01:54 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
I just don’t see the IRS falling for that. Take the sale of a $50k vehicle for example. For simplicity, I’ll use $2k actual value per $20 gold coin face value. Same sale two different ways:

Pay 25 gold coins ($500 face value) for a $50,000 vehicle.

Pay $500 paper cash for a $50,000 vehicle.

Based on face value, the buyer paid less than fair market value and there is going to be a gift tax involved. Except the transaction with gold is actually penalized with the gift tax because the real value of gold exchanged is equal to the fair market value of the asset. At least that’s the way I see it.

since it is state sales tax I would be more concerned with the WI DOR than the IRS on that one.

I suspect they pay their pastor in silver coin
since their is no minimum wage for a salary pastor
he lives in a tax free house and the church covers his heat and electric.
I don't know the extent of how they use this he told me about this several years ago and I have only seen him but about 4 times since 2020.

Re: Stacking silver [Re: Finster] #8102699
03/18/24 01:56 PM
03/18/24 01:56 PM
Iowa
trapperchris Offline
trapper
trapperchris  Offline
trapper

Iowa
Look around your area also for local coin shops. They all seem to charge about the same whether online or in person. Gunshows and some better flea mkts will also have folks selling silver. Personally, I did the silver thing for a handful of years, and if you can buy when it's low, $13-$18 an oz and hold it til you can make $8-$10 an oz and dump it, wait for the next downward move its alright. Can be years for any of that to work. Mkt still has to perform either way.

Just livin' the dream...and paying full price for it!
Re: Stacking silver [Re: Finster] #8102710
03/18/24 02:22 PM
03/18/24 02:22 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Buying gold and silver for SHTF purposes assumes that everything will return to normal at some point after the poo hits the oscillator.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread