No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Photo Phriday 127 - Helicopters [Re: Gulo] #8100983
03/16/24 01:43 PM
03/16/24 01:43 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Hydro company here used the skycrane.You could feel it thumping your chest from a long ways away.
That thing was huge and it picked up big power line towers whole and carried them back in the boonies for installation and brought the defective ones back to the Railroad to be loaded.
The skycrane the power company used here that time was out of Atlanta if I remember corectly and was manned by 3 or man crew.The pilot was ex US military.They said the one in use was the same one that put the spire on top of the CN Tower in Toronto.
I used to fly nuisance beaver surveys for the railroad every spring to identify dangerous water inland from the track.It was a long day at 13 hours.
Had to land for a few minutes every few hours to refuel the small chopper.It was uncomfortable spending that long in a small helecopter but you could see everything including the mile boards at the track.
I remember one year flying back cross country to North Bay from Timmins in a blizzard after completing the survey.The little choppers tail was straight out near 90 degrees from our direction of travels as the wind blew it that way,we flew the whole way sideways.

Last edited by Boco; 03/16/24 01:52 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Photo Phriday 127 - Helicopters [Re: yukonjeff] #8101074
03/16/24 04:22 PM
03/16/24 04:22 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
We flew up into the Healy Lake mountains to fight a fire once, from Big Delta in a Huey. It was awesome flying over the barley fields with the doors open. It felt like it was going to shake apart. They dropped us off on a mountain.

We ate MRE's for a week, and then the same choppers flew us in fresh grub, we unloaded it, and when they were leaving I was watching the pilot rev up and pull up on the collective and one side lifted up but not the other, so he let it down and tried pulling up again, same thing was stuck, I looked down and noticed one skid was hooked under a tree root. I pointed it out to the pilot, and he was able to maneuver out and up. Then he did one of those blast off kind of departures you had to see to believe. Up and out of sight in an instant. Amazing.
They brought us back down off the mountain after about ten days we mopped up, and we got rained out.

That should have scared the snot out of him. He was completely set up for dynamic rollover. I will have to dig some of my pictures out. You couldn't pay me enough to fly in a Robinson. The 500's were always fun and "Snappy". I am not as old as White to fly in Bell 47's. I had a Llama in MT and CO one summer and really liked it. I compared it to a 3/4 ton chevy truck. Not pretty, not fast but just a workhorse.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 160user; 03/16/24 04:28 PM.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Photo Phriday 127 - Helicopters [Re: Gulo] #8101457
03/17/24 04:59 AM
03/17/24 04:59 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Great topic...Super photos.

my One ride in one was Expensive...middle of the night flight . Rural Wisconsin to Abbott N.W. I ĥad a

stroke. and was Lifeflighted. All that $$$ And no memory of the ride. It saved my Life though

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread