No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Yep , done ruined nephew #8093168
03/05/24 03:52 PM
03/05/24 03:52 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Yep look like I ruined my nephew. Touched on this a little while back I think when I was along about dealing with picky kids.Kids 9 pretty much has massive crap load of energy and honestly I see a lot of myself in the kid. Like he's constantly asking questions about everything and simple answers don't really work for him. And Lord forbid you give him some Legos, kid will try to build a engine if you give I'm the right YouTube video laugh And just like me he takes a real shine to anything outdoor related. Well his parents,my in laws arnt really the outdoorsy type people, like they're not bad parents ,sweet and loving as all get out, just hunting fishing trapping camping running around the woods just plain isn't their thing. They're not against it they just have no clue where to start ( their words not mine). Their gamers ( which I don't really see much of a problem with I'm a gamer too, nerd in general the real world sucks and gets boring and I like to zone out to some video games and get a mental break, kinda regular used to play a few a competitively too but that crap gets way to heated for me). But a 9yr old like him or me at the age cooped inside all day.....egh games can only do so much. Would tell him all the time how when I was 6 I had a .22 lr and would just roam around the woods and fields doing whatever . That concept terrifies his mom laugh Bless them though they put him into boys scouts after a bit of prodding and the kid loves it ! But , well it's all kinda neutered down. Well he was able to go fishing a while back on one of his little outings and he'd been wanting to do it ever since and I told him I'll come get him one day and take him fishing.

Well last month while I was home was bored so told the gf where gonna kidnap him since he was driving his other Aunt crazy while she was babysitting. Told his mom it's time for me to be the cool uncle and I'll bring him back eventually. So me and her went picked him up took him to Walmart took him to the fishing isle and told him to go pick him a rod. Got him the blu one he wantes some cheap $10 spinning combo some worms and other little doo dads. Like $30.

Then proceeded to drive an hour to my parents place and the farm. Got a few cow pounds scattered around full of bream and other lil panfish that are great and easy for kids. Showed him how to tie hooks and a basic bobber rig and proceeded to start walking .... And he's like in awee of the cows and all our dogs . Friggen hawk was swooping around after pigeons near the barn , was shown him the different lil tracks in the mud where the turtles came up on the bank ect. I mena we we're legit walking some of the same little trail I walked his age.

Well anyhow get his line in the water and within a minute his bobber is going under kids hyper ventilating while he's reelin in this little bluegill gf is taking pictures and man he was just all for it. Well he catches like 6 of them and we had to take him back because it was getting dark but the whole time has asking if we can get one more cast in grin

Welp took him home and told him I'll take him out again and if her really behaved wed go run some dog with my buddy or something. Not taking him shooting though kids way too emotionally charged right now . Stares talking about takin him fence hopping like his uncle used to do back in the day but I got a a pop in the back of the head for even going that direction grin

Y'all... apparently I done messed up and ruined this kid because according to my gf his grandma and his mom he won't shut up about fishing now and keeps asking when I'll take him again mom just called me today asking if she can use cheese or something other then worms for fishing because she wants to go now to because he makes it some so fun and she always just wants to take him to let him relax a little till I get back to the house

I'll tell ya reminds me of something my dad used to tell me . Apparently when I was a baby I had this great uncle right ? Guy was one of those old woodsmen like hunted trapped would just vanish for days at a time and come back with game to feed his family. Woud noodle catfish and snapping turtles do rabbit drives, knew woods medicine all sorts of stuff . Not the one who gave me my first cage trap though and live marketed live coon and possum out the back of his truck that's a different one.Apparently he was around one day and Dad had me all bundled up, he walked over looked at me looked at my dad dead int he eyes and said that as soon as he could get me in the woods . Said it's gonna get in him and ruin him in the best way possible and he's gonna put it in someone else . And sure enough now I'm that uncle who's got all these kids following him around . Life is funny like that. Would post a picture of him with is fish and all but he's a minor and all that

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 03/05/24 03:54 PM.
Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: Wolfdog91] #8093172
03/05/24 03:55 PM
03/05/24 03:55 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
I picture you like Andy Griffith and Opie in the show’s intro. LOL

Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: Wolfdog91] #8093184
03/05/24 04:13 PM
03/05/24 04:13 PM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
You gone and done did it Wolfdog91 ! You did right.

RdFx
Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: Wolfdog91] #8093196
03/05/24 04:28 PM
03/05/24 04:28 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Good Going Uncle Wolfie

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: Wolfdog91] #8093214
03/05/24 04:49 PM
03/05/24 04:49 PM
East Texas
S
SLEDD Offline
trapper
SLEDD  Offline
trapper
S

East Texas
Good for you and good for him. I was born a city kid and my father was anti hunter. I can remember every time in my life that someone took me fishing. I am forever grateful to those men. In my mid-teens I moved to live with my mother and discovered hunting. During high school I had a choice of sneaking beer go drinking on Friday night or buying ammo and hunting Saturday. I always bought the ammo. As an adult I never miss an opportunity to take a kid fishing or hunting. Thank you for investing in that child. He will never forget you.

Anything the governments gives you they must first take away from someone else.
Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: Wolfdog91] #8093250
03/05/24 05:28 PM
03/05/24 05:28 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Good job Unc, that's how it's done!!

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: Wolfdog91] #8093544
03/06/24 12:14 AM
03/06/24 12:14 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
You said a lot about how all this affected the kid. How'd it affect you? I'll bet that you can't stop smiling.
This world needs a whole lot more of this.

Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: Wolfdog91] #8093555
03/06/24 12:45 AM
03/06/24 12:45 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Between the ages of 6 and 12 is the small window you have for hooking a child on hunting/fishing/trapping.

You're always posting about your BB guns... if he's "too hyper" for a real gun, now would be a perfect time to break him into one of those.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: yotetrapper30] #8093564
03/06/24 01:39 AM
03/06/24 01:39 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Between the ages of 6 and 12 is the small window you have for hooking a child on hunting/fishing/trapping.

You're always posting about your BB guns... if he's "too hyper" for a real gun, now would be a perfect time to break him into one of those.

not bb guns there on a out the same level as a .22lr for the most part . But he's just plain not ready to be around any kinda gun right now, just not mature enough

Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: 52Carl] #8093566
03/06/24 01:45 AM
03/06/24 01:45 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by 52Carl
You said a lot about how all this affected the kid. How'd it affect you? I'll bet that you can't stop smiling.
This world needs a whole lot more of this.

I loved it, honestly getting kinda into it and seeing them enjoy themselves really for some good

Re: Yep , done ruined nephew [Re: Wolfdog91] #8094030
03/06/24 08:19 PM
03/06/24 08:19 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I got lucky as well with an uncle that took me under his wing. He enjoyed out time afield and sure sparked the interest in the great outdoors. My first run was a pump action Daisy BB gun followed closely Springfield in single shot. It had enough shot through it had to use a pocket knife to pry he empty cases out.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread