No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
writing to land owners #8093804
03/06/24 01:25 PM
03/06/24 01:25 PM
chippwewa falls WI
chippewatrapper Offline OP
trapper
chippewatrapper  Offline OP
trapper

chippwewa falls WI
I'm new to trying to get permission. I am going to write to several land owners about trying to get permission to deer and turkey hunt. Does anyone have experience with this or advise?

WTA
NTA
Chippewa rod and gun
Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093806
03/06/24 01:29 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
It's a lot harder for them to say no in person.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093808
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

writing to them? No. Go knock on the door..wear nice clothes. Look nice. introduce yourself. You might ask about coyote trapping as a door opener. a Decent beard trim wouldnt hurt also. Be professional and dont interrupt them if they are busy in the field.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093809
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Better to visit in person I think. Dress nice and be respectful.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093816
03/06/24 01:39 PM
03/06/24 01:39 PM
Wisconsin
M
Mediocre Trapper Online content
trapper
Mediocre Trapper  Online Content
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Definitely in person we get letters all time asking to goose hunt all in trash if they stop in we usually allow it

Don’t waste the day
Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093818
03/06/24 01:41 PM
03/06/24 01:41 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
I always take a pen and a notepad with me, if they're not home I'll leave a note stuck in the door saying I stopped by, that I'm looking to trap, and my phone number. I usually draw a little map on the back of the note of the place I'm looking to trap too.....Just the closest intersection, the creek, the location of the beaver dam or lodge, chewed trees etc. Sometimes they don't know they have beavers destroying stuff and the little drawing of what's happening helps.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093822
03/06/24 01:46 PM
03/06/24 01:46 PM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
I also carry a change of work clothes in the truck. More than once asking to trap has turned into a couple hours of chores.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093823
03/06/24 01:50 PM
03/06/24 01:50 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
From landowner's perspective, what benefit is it to them to have you hunting on their property? If none, it is an uphill climb. Many have been burned when they granted one time permission to someone who asked, who then took that as blanket lifetime permission, not only to them but friends. Not much will get a land owner more revved up than to find someone on his land.......and when they ask who gave them permission.......is told the owner did........when the owner is you.

In our part of the world, hunting pressure just seems to go up every year. A game camera on every tree and inside the normal range of a big buck there are 10 guys who are after him. Just no room for anyone more.

So my best advice would be to offer something of value when you make your contact........perhaps services of some kind or a hunting lease. You now being a welcome partner vs. a nuisance.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093824
03/06/24 01:59 PM
03/06/24 01:59 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I've sent letters asking for permission to goose hunt. When looking for a field to hunt, I'm specifically looking for something where the landowner doesn't live right by that field. I feel like a landowner is more likely to say yes if im not right in theor backyard shooting at 7am. Sometimes they live in a different part of town, sometimes another city, sometimes another state. Knocking on a door isn't always an option.

Go when they're not busy? So not breakfast, lunch, dinner, too early or too late or when they're working. When does a guy go and not feel like you're interrupting something? Trapping is a little different than hunting, I feel like you're providing more of a service by removing furbearers than geese or deer or turkeys.

I've had good luck sending letters, I explain who I am and how I hunt, I don't drive in fields and usually hunt by myself. I also include our state's information about landowners not being liable for injuries when they allow someone to recreate on their property. I also include a self-addressed stamped envelope and a permission letter for them to sign and return, I try and make it as easy as possible for them to say yes while not being intrusive.

I'd have to double check my OnX map (I keep track of spots as I'm scouting on there and use different color waypoints for fields I've inquired about and what response I've gotten so I don't bug the same people year after year) but I bet I get a 30% success rate with sending letters and all it costs is a few bucks for stamps and envelopes.

Then after the season is over I make sure to send a thank you letter along with some token of my appreciation, usually a bottle or two of homemade maple syrup.

I'll have to make sure I don't send a letter to Mediocre Trapper grin

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093830
03/06/24 02:18 PM
03/06/24 02:18 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by chippewatrapper
I'm new to trying to get permission. I am going to write to several land owners about trying to get permission to deer and turkey hunt. Does anyone have experience with this or advise?

In Wi, bring a checkbook with lots of money. You may find turkey hunting available, but deer hunting is really tough.....having a young child with that's close to hunting age may help.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: HayDay] #8093831
03/06/24 02:23 PM
03/06/24 02:23 PM
Missouri
O
Osagian Offline
trapper
Osagian  Offline
trapper
O

Missouri
[quote=HayDayMany have been burned when they granted one time permission to someone who asked, who then took that as blanket lifetime permission, not only to them but friends...................

^^^This^^^

Permission for one guy turns into 2 cousins and his brother in-law and so on who all assume they have life long privileges.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093835
03/06/24 02:41 PM
03/06/24 02:41 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Go to the door and offer to work for the hunting rights.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093836
03/06/24 02:44 PM
03/06/24 02:44 PM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

If they dont have the sack to knock on my door and send me a letter it will go in woodstove along with garbage mail.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093840
03/06/24 02:52 PM
03/06/24 02:52 PM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Go in person and take a kid with you.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093843
03/06/24 02:56 PM
03/06/24 02:56 PM
missoula, mt 59803
M
mttrapperguy Offline
trapper
mttrapperguy  Offline
trapper
M

missoula, mt 59803
Prefer to knock on door. But in MT properties are large and working ranches so stopping in really irritates some so I send a letter requesting a time I could stop by to introduce myself. I leave a business card in the letter and have positive feedback. Like me I absolutely hate it when someone comes knocking on my door unannounced and so does my wife. It’s not about having large balls it is about having respect and presenting yourself in a positive manner

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093845
03/06/24 03:00 PM
03/06/24 03:00 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Don't forget to send them a Thank You after the season or during the summer. Never hurts to keep your name in front of them during off season.

[Linked Image]

Re: writing to land owners [Re: HayDay] #8093876
03/06/24 03:54 PM
03/06/24 03:54 PM
ND
S
Skogmann Offline
trapper
Skogmann  Offline
trapper
S

ND
[quote=HayDay]From landowner's perspective, what benefit is it to them to have you hunting on their property? If none, it is an uphill climb. Many have been burned when they granted one time permission to someone who asked, who then took that as blanket lifetime permission, not only to them but friends. Not much will get a land owner more revved up than to find someone on his land.......and when they ask who gave them permission.......is told the owner did........when the owner is you.

^^^^this is good advice^^^^^

The other thing that rubs me is when guys have an attitude of entitlement to hunt my land and think asking my permission is just a nicety. You haven't made sacrifices to make the down payment, to make the land payment when money is short, or pay ever increasing real estate taxes. You didn't jump threw all the hoops of paperwork to purchase the land or pay outrageous lawyer fees and closing costs.

Things you can do...Drop off a business type of card with your information, even if turned down. Ask them if you can leave a card with them. Name, address, phone number. This helps build future trust with them. We are asked by numerous people a year to hunt our land. I cant remember everyone ones name. I just met you, I don't know you from Adam.
Be prepared to strike out 80% of the time. Dont take it personally when told no or hold it against the owner. You dont know their situation. Some guys are tired of dealing with the few slob hunters or the situations like HayDay described. Some guys already hunt it themselves and have other family that hunt it as well (this is my situation with extended family as well as a couple of friends. I am already at max capacity on the acres that I own).
If you can get your foot in the door and can hunt an area, other land owners will see your vehicle and see the neighbor took a chance on you. Don't forget you are being watched by other land owners to see if you are staying on the land you have permission for and obeying rules of fair chase. If you are responsible, you might want to ask those in the area the next year for permission that previously turned you down. This and the ID card are what will begin building trust.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: OhioBoy] #8093883
03/06/24 03:58 PM
03/06/24 03:58 PM
ND
S
Skogmann Offline
trapper
Skogmann  Offline
trapper
S

ND
[quote=OhioBoy]Go in person and take a kid.

DON'T do this. You are just being manipulative and owners see threw it. You can let the owner know you are looking for permission for you and your kids, but don't bring them with the first time.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093890
03/06/24 04:08 PM
03/06/24 04:08 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I have a guy hunt my land, He's very respectful, follows the few rules I have without fail and always drops off a gift card after the season is over along with either venison sausage or some other treat if he doesn't get one.
I've told him more than once he doesn't have to do it but he still does.
offers to help me with chores if I need it. I don't take him up on it but I appreciate the offer, it means alot.

Treat the land owner like you'd want to be treated and you'll have a spot for a long time.

Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093904
03/06/24 04:27 PM
03/06/24 04:27 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Calm their worst fears is a good start many have been burned before is many ways. If it it’s local hunting join an activity in the community be it a trap club, bowling league, darts or sports bar to meet local folks. Fly your colors (camo) proudly you might find like minded people that come to you that way.

Go to a NTWF dinner to meet like minded people that way. Offer to help out local farmers no better way to get to know great folks that you can help out in exchange for hunting opportunities and you meet their neighbors that will be helping each other out increasing your contacts.

Refuse payment for daily help like working cattle, driving farm trucks or fixing fence a days work is a cheap investment you will learn. I carry fence staples if I’m back in the hill country hunting I will fix a fence on my way out for the day ranchers appreciate that. Clear roads of trash limbs and off of fences if you come across stuff like that.

If it’s all take from the landowners they have little to gain from letting you in so do all you can for them whenever you can. Don’t forget gift cards or gift certificates to local businesses that’s always a great way to show your appreciation if you can’t help out. When I had chickens I gave my landowners eggs several times a year and even got some started with their own birds there’s always something a guy can do.

I’ve help people out many times in the past and the, get whatever they needed and you never hear from them again not a word it’s not a good feeling.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093910
03/06/24 04:34 PM
03/06/24 04:34 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
If the landowner is not local writing/calling might be the only option if you can gather their information. Plat books, Onx or register of deeds, ajoinig landowners might be helpful to start out.

If you do write include a self addressed stamped envelope or ask them to call you collect if you request a call back.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093916
03/06/24 04:47 PM
03/06/24 04:47 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Chippewatrapper PM me or call. I'll tell you how I do it. Deer are always a tough sell. Turkey I could probably help you get on a property or two around here. I know a few that'll probably take my word on you being a respectful young man.

Is this permission for you or you and your dad?

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: writing to land owners [Re: chippewatrapper] #8093941
03/06/24 05:35 PM
03/06/24 05:35 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
As most have said, go see the landowners in person whenever possible.

I do send letters thanking each and every land owner who gave me permission to hunt and/or trap every year. And I ask every year as well. I don't just assume permission is permanent. I consider it an annual privilege.

These tactics have led to land owners recommending me to other landowners. Many of them are farmers and want the coon and foxes gone.

Eh...wot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread