No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kids starting out and trapping future [Re: kytrapper] #8090544
03/02/24 09:39 AM
03/02/24 09:39 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The best hope for trapping is to get off the cold war with Russia and China. They still want our fur. Money. That is the incentive to trap.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Kids starting out and trapping future [Re: KYBOY] #8090551
03/02/24 09:49 AM
03/02/24 09:49 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by KYBOY
Kids use to start out with small game and work up.. Now they start with deer and turkey.. Ive known kids come thru hunters ed who could set up a wireless game cam, tell me what grain broadheads go with what arrows/bolts to get a given velocity but they could not kill a squirrel if they were starving...
Now they are out and thats great but think about it, they have nowhere to go.. Dad has his 6 year old killing deer off a trip pod with an AR and he gets bored of it fast.. I spend a good portion of class begging kids to try small game hunting and trapping. telling them about bird hunting, coon hunting, frog gigging, fish gigging and all the other awesome outdoor opputunities they have..
I can vouch for talking to a student who had killed 11 deer by the time he was 9-10 years old and stopped hunting because he was bored.. Though he had never made a blind, scouted an area to hunt or gutted a deer... Family did it all for him..
We need to help kids understand the long game and the satisfaction that comes from developing and learning..Dont even get me started on youth sports and what its turned in too crazy

I wasn't allowed by my dad to deer hunt until I was 12. Was a common practice of the time, given the maturity level of an 8 or 10 year old. However, my dad used those non deer hunting years to teach me safe gun handling, small game hunting, and general woodsman ship. For me, those years developed a love for the outdoors that will last a lifetime.

Last edited by J Staton; 03/02/24 09:50 AM.
Re: Kids starting out and trapping future [Re: danny clifton] #8090564
03/02/24 10:13 AM
03/02/24 10:13 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Originally Posted by danny clifton
The best hope for trapping is to get off the cold war with Russia and China. They still want our fur. Money. That is the incentive to trap.

There is a lot to this. Up at the farm we had a situation where varmints.......mainly coon.......were causing a lot of trouble. Discovered there was a kid in the neighborhood who had developed an interest and a knack for trapping, so he was brought in. Sure enough, he did have a knack and caught a bunch of coons right off. They were even paying him $25 each, so there was incentive.

Short while after that I was talking to his grandfather and asked how the trapping was going and he told me that had cooled off. It wasn't the money......it was an ethics thing. Catching and killing coons....then dumping them out for the buzzards to clean up was not something he wanted to do. Along the lines of shooting deer just to leave them lay. The waste of it. Putting up the fur for free to salvage something wasn't a motivation either. Kid had decided the best thing to do was leave them be. Or at least that was what I was told.

Re: Kids starting out and trapping future [Re: kytrapper] #8090569
03/02/24 10:22 AM
03/02/24 10:22 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Teaching a few 4H classes of younger kids I’ve found very few of them that want to learn everything and even fewer stand out as life long trapper candidates. I see my job as to give them the tools and it’s up to them to choose when to use those tools in the future. The tail bounty has sparked a lot of interest in trapping with the younger folks so that’s a start that might never of been there before.

Dispute all of the constant negative talk as usual a lot of good has come out of the program and there has been a major drop in nesting predators in the last several years in my area some of that should be credited to the bounty program combined with other factors. I have had 5 traps out at a place along a lake with heavy cover using fish for bait and have caught nothing. The complaint was a skunk smell so I should have known better before setting it up. LOL

Kids get a month head start then it’s open to everyone but that’s never a problem with the quota being reached they go over they pay. If the quota is being met or close to being met ( I don’t have a chart to reference) the program is working as intended and the kids are getting out there and learning trapping skills.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread