No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Watering hole [Re: AJE] #7906353
07/15/23 01:29 AM
07/15/23 01:29 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
KeithC Online content
trapper
Happy Birthday KeithC  Online Content
trapper

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by KeithC
If you have a hillside to work with, just dig a shallow trench going across the hillside, that dips very slightly to a middle point. Put a perforated PVC drain pipe in the bottom of the trench and shallowly bury it. Put the excess dirt on the downhill side of the trench to make a berm. At the center dip, T in a solid PVC pipe and run it downhill to a tank or hole. Put some Gambusia affinis (mosquito fish) in the tank or hole, once filled, to eat the mosquito and fly larvae. Rain, snow melt and even heavy dew will refill the tank.

I do have a hill to work with. I'll have to think about this more to see if I can fully understand what you are talking about

Thanks

Basically all you are doing is catching any surface water running down the hill and any water that has permeated the soil, down to the base of your trench and channeling it down to your pond. Once you have the tiles in place, there is virtually no maintenace, though it helps to keep vegetation from growing to close to your tile to keep roots from absorbing water or clogging it. A few quick passes with a weedwacker helps with that.

It's somewhat similar to building a spring head. The main difference is you're collecting surface runoff and shallow water.

Keith

Re: Watering hole [Re: AJE] #8087816
02/27/24 11:03 PM
02/27/24 11:03 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I might put a layer of sand instead of black dirt over the liner. I think dry mud is what leads to blue tongue concerns. I would think sand could ~avoid that issue

Last edited by AJE; 02/27/24 11:04 PM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread