No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Just bad gun cleaning or ? #8086969
02/26/24 08:45 PM
02/26/24 08:45 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So my horny has been in a cast bullet diet for a while just because it seems to like them better then jacketed. Can consistently shoot those tiny beer cans @ 100yd and keels over about any small critter I've hit with it right ?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Well after a lot of comments I decided to try jacketed rounds again . Y'all probably remember that the factory PPU stuff I got was terrible but found a box of 50gr Sierra SP's and had a few people recommend it so
Factory left mine right
[Linked Image]
And they shot pretty well actually @ 100yd
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Also did a load test that I need to edit and they all shot better then factory across the board none super sex but no a paper plate . More like 1.5-2"

Well next day decided to load some just to do some practice and ...just don't shoot as well at all. So decoed it was time for a bore scoping aannnnnd sick starts @ about 4:50 and the worst is about 7:00. I really dot. Understand what the heck could have caused this. Only thing I have that as this bad is my Mosin...and well it's a dang Mosin so that a given . But non of my other used rifles are this bad. Is this just form super poor cleaning or what ? And why the heck does cast shoot well but not jacketed ?

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 02/27/24 12:17 AM.
Re: Just bad gun cleaning or ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #8087098
02/26/24 11:07 PM
02/26/24 11:07 PM
NV
2bit Offline
trapper
2bit  Offline
trapper

NV
I doubt a clean gun vs a dirty gun makes a whole lot of difference. I do not keep my guns clean and they shoot just fine until debris packs behind the trigger enough to inhibit a sear release. I had a 22 magnum. I never cleaned it once. From 12 years old til it's demise. 25 years it was a tack driver. Countless squirrels, dimes, quarters. Sheep, etc.
A break action should be pretty easy to see if your rifling is fouled up bad. How many rounds do you have through it? Did you hand load those to the rifle or did you pick up someone else's hand loads. Bullet jump can make a huge difference for point of impact as well as flyers. I would think the harder the material, the more it matters. My dad shot out the barrel on his 6.5x55 Swede. Pressure spikes with a clean bore. So many variables

Re: Just bad gun cleaning or ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #8087119
02/26/24 11:59 PM
02/26/24 11:59 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
That’s what excessive moisture does over a long period of time especially in a fouled barrel. The chatter marks are from the rifling process. Hate to say it but looks like new barrel time. If you got 1 1/2 to 2” you did really good. With all that pitting close to the throat the projectile is damaged right out the gate. The reason for the accuracy you are getting is that the rest of the bore is clean and probably cleaning up some of the damage. Good luck.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Just bad gun cleaning or ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #8087164
02/27/24 06:32 AM
02/27/24 06:32 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Low humidity NV and high Humidity MS aint the same thing. Guns need carbon removed. If you dont it just keeps building up and is a real problem. Steel needs oil to prevent rust. We do not use black powder anymore (except some of us) but a few minutes of cleaning after you shoot is a good idea. Get your guns out and re-oil them at least once a year is good too. Even if they havent been shot.

Last edited by danny clifton; 02/27/24 06:33 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Just bad gun cleaning or ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #8087172
02/27/24 07:01 AM
02/27/24 07:01 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Its a real shame when a firearm is in that condition because of laziness on the part of the original owner. H and R used to fit any barrel you bought to your receiver for the postage. Thinking any barrel can be used on any receiver is wrong thinking too. They need a little tweaking. Contenders cost more because fitting isnt needed. Your hornet would be a loaner gun or sold if it was mine and I would be looking for another. Its simply a great fox cartridge. Handi rifles are not known for pin point accuracy but the boiler room of a fox at 200 yards can be expected.

Handloaders have screwed up a lot of them. For some reason people like to really push the velocity of 22 hornet. I never understood that. If you want 223 remington velocity then buy one. Except in handguns and blackpowder, I dont get the cast bullet thing either. Performance just isnt there. Fortunately we are not reduced to having to use cast bullets and blackpowder except as a choice.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread