No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Ave] #8085230
02/24/24 02:42 PM
02/24/24 02:42 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Use a tray for the footholds. Use a tray that will hold 2 traps. Tray should be at least 6" under water...8" is better. Place directly in front off dam breach that is only as wide as the tray. Beaver swims up...bump tray edge...climbs up on tray...steps down onto traps...fully committed. Each trap should be on it's own drowner. Doubles very common.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Ave] #8085244
02/24/24 03:15 PM
02/24/24 03:15 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Like Lee said....they can not pass up a fresh piece of poplar.

Stick that piece of poplar at the waters edge....and slide a foothold ..off to the right of center of the stick...about 4 inches .
Have that trap only 3-4 inches undah the water

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Birddogs64] #8085259
02/24/24 04:04 PM
02/24/24 04:04 PM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by Birddogs64
Ok , I need some serious suggestions please . We have tried "everything " . Blind sets , Food / Curiosity Sets , Castor sets worked for a " short " period . Now ? NOT A THING ! There are " at least " 4 lodges ... several main channels in water not wadable and to clogged by shrubbery for a boat . 3 dams , but my son doesn't want to use break dam sets to further EDUCATE THEM . Camera's show nothing but us checking traps . And yet we keep finding fresh feed sticks everyday . There are places to deep in muck that you can sink out of sight also . So .... what would you suggest to put a dent in this population ? 3 will not cut it and our season ends here March 14th. And we are on our 2nd year of beaver trapping, which we enjoy.

It's been freezing or above during the day ... and cold enough to freeze or for skim ice at night . Rhode Island
" DOES NOT ALLOW FOOT HOLDS OR SNARES ," SO THOSE ARE OUT . So " my guess?" They are sticking to the lodge till it warms again?

There " were a couple" of neighbors who got together last year to snare a few beavers , not knowing what they were truely doing . So I think this also helped to smarted the beaver up . Thanks for any suggestions you have or can offer

If it's only kill traps, I would search out a log they have been diving under since they've been there. Least amount of disturbance on your part when setting, no blocking necessary.

Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Trap Setter] #8085319
02/24/24 06:19 PM
02/24/24 06:19 PM
Rhode Island
Birddogs64 Offline
trapper
Birddogs64  Offline
trapper

Rhode Island
Have to check traps every 24 hours in Rhode Island and snares are also not
allowed in Rhode Island , along with foot holds . A conibear type trap is " only "
Trap allowed .

Already commited to finishing this out . Flooding of basements by beavers is a huge problem.
They tried the " beaver baffle tubes ," but the devil's are so smart ? They pushed mud all up under
the tubes to lift one end out of the water ! Baffles disabled ... beavers 1.

So looking for ideas besides vertical pole sets next to the feed pile ? But channel maybe to deep to access.

Last edited by Birddogs64; 02/24/24 06:21 PM.

An older indian who traps with one
of her son's . And believe's in passing this
knowledge on to the young .
Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Ave] #8085325
02/24/24 06:28 PM
02/24/24 06:28 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
If there are channels where they are coming ashore set a submerged bodygrip in them with a small log over the trap so they have to dive under it. If the water is clear, set a little light brush in front of the trap to hide the outline of the trap. If the water is murky, you don't need the brush.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8085380
02/24/24 07:39 PM
02/24/24 07:39 PM
Rhode Island
Birddogs64 Offline
trapper
Birddogs64  Offline
trapper

Rhode Island
What kind of tray ? It's a great Idea that I never thought of . I can turn the conibear into a foothold " and " use as a drowner with a cable and a bag of rocks . Can a tray be made with sticks and cross bars of sticks ? My son is already thinking things up . Lolol

Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Trapper7] #8085388
02/24/24 07:49 PM
02/24/24 07:49 PM
Rhode Island
Birddogs64 Offline
trapper
Birddogs64  Offline
trapper

Rhode Island
Trapper7, water is pretty clear once the muck settles . There are areas where its like a thick dead layer of grass just beneath the surface "off of " the main channel they are using. I thought I had pics of the channels .
But I'll get more pics tomorrow .

My son even bought a " double wide " 1022 rbg ? To set under a log they were using . And I'll get pics of that also.

Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Ave] #8085400
02/24/24 07:56 PM
02/24/24 07:56 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Whoa, we have two different beaver here. The first beaver-conibears only-I would take a batch of hemlock branches and stick them stongly in the trail, no trap yet. After you see signs of him going through, maybe only once in a while but going through put you 33 behind one of those branches. The second beaver, the "tried everything beaver" you are going to have to wait them out. Set a trap at the newest, biggest pile of stick. Add nothing but the trap, long chain off to the deep water away from the area so he can't not see the anchor and W A I T. Check with binos Good luck......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Ave] #8085717
02/25/24 08:10 AM
02/25/24 08:10 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Yeah ok I see what's going on here we've got Ave as the original poster and birddog67 hopping in asking questions about RI. Ave can use and will use footholds albeit smaller than ideal. Birddog can't use anything but bodygrips and can't access the whole place he is trapping.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Trap smart beaver [Re: Ave] #8085751
02/25/24 09:14 AM
02/25/24 09:14 AM
Lake Mille Lacs , MN
2poor Offline
trapper
2poor  Offline
trapper

Lake Mille Lacs , MN
A Beaver has no defense against a well placed MB750 and a drowning rod , none !

It’s a lazy man who can’t find his wife a second job !
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread