No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085081
02/24/24 10:07 AM
02/24/24 10:07 AM
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
My dad left when I was five so I have very little memory of him. My grandpap and I were together ALL the time. He called me his medicine. I absolutely never heard him say I love you to anyone. But the proof was in the pudding. He took me fishing and built me tee pees, made me little drums from coffee cans. Took me to the mall in the summer and we would get hot dogs at McCrory’s and I’d play video games in the arcade. When he died in 2001 I was 19 and I thought my heart was going to break. He never said I love you but I had no doubt in my mind that I was his everything and he was proud of me. [Linked Image]

Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085083
02/24/24 10:12 AM
02/24/24 10:12 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
My dad said it when my brother and I were little... Maybe up to 5 or 6, but once we were big boys, he quit and so did we.
He started again about a year ago after the first time he got really sick and made a point of telling us how proud he was of us. I think he knew something then.

For many, it would have been too little, too late, but he always made clear by his actions that he loved us...and we never took the initiative and said it first either it's a shame that people let bitterness or pride leave important things unsaid until it is too late.

If you feel it and want to say it, just say it. Don't wait for the other person. If it makes them uncomfortable, just tell them why you say it, that they don't have to say it back but that you're going to tell them anyhow. Family, friends... we're supposed to feel it, we're directed by Jesus to love one another. It doesn't have to be icky.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085094
02/24/24 10:34 AM
02/24/24 10:34 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
For those that didn’t hear it much back in the day but hear it often now, is it just as valuable, less valuable or more valuable when you say it or hear it?

-Goofy-
Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085104
02/24/24 10:50 AM
02/24/24 10:50 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Good question, and hard to answer. I have no problem with a hug or "I love you" among close family, way less with other relatives and acquaintances...My wife can talk the air out of a room and she's constantly saying I love you to most folks. Still makes me a little uncomfortable, and it just becomes words. I think it made a bigger impact when it wasn't said much, compared to now, if that makes sense.

Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085214
02/24/24 02:02 PM
02/24/24 02:02 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
My old man loved beer. Pretty certain that was the extent of it.
I tell everyone in my family that I love them fairly often, but I believe actions speak louder than words. They all know that I love them.

Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085250
02/24/24 03:30 PM
02/24/24 03:30 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Men, generally growing up were not well versed in expressing the “affectionate” side of themselves to family members or others, and as they get older toward the “autumn of their years,” some tend to look back at things they maybe should have expressed and try to do it now. Unfortunately many times the opportunity has been missed do too many unforseen factors. So if one senses, and now has the chance to do so, do it without hesitation. It may be one’s last chance.
SJA

“The clock of Time is wound just once, and no man has the power to know just when the hands will stop at late or early hour.”

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085274
02/24/24 04:44 PM
02/24/24 04:44 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
GCS, is pretty much a X2 for me.

Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085277
02/24/24 04:51 PM
02/24/24 04:51 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
For those that didn’t hear it much back in the day but hear it often now, is it just as valuable, less valuable or more valuable when you say it or hear it?

IMO, it's more in value, it indicates one's realization of maybe past regret.

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Seems New but Maybe it isn’t? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #8085278
02/24/24 04:53 PM
02/24/24 04:53 PM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline
trapper

Illinois
I think it’s a good thing. It’s a hard word to say,, it’s not that you don’t,, men just aren’t good at saying things like that.
Use to be when my wife would say “ I love you “ I’d say back to her” you too”
When I had my close call with the blood clots in my lungs last year,, I began to rethink a lot of things.
I have gone back to calling her “ my sweet potato “ and I don’t hesitate to say “ I love you “ back to her.
It doesn’t mean that you are soft or sissified,,,
Sometimes folks just need to hear it

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread