No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What critter did I encounter? [Re: KeithC] #8084863
02/23/24 11:31 PM
02/23/24 11:31 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Originally Posted by KeithC
It may have been a hellbender salamander. They get huge and will hide under objects like that. Catfish will too. I would run a seine through there.

Keith

No Hellbenders in Michigan. The closest ones are likely in S.E. Ohio. Maybe a Dogfish (Bowfin). Although Burbot spawn in February, it would be very unusual for one to be in the ditch. Pike.....you bet, especially as goofy warm as the weather has been. Can't think of what type of snake it would be, most are not big at all.

Re: What critter did I encounter? [Re: trappingthomas] #8084981
02/24/24 08:08 AM
02/24/24 08:08 AM
Northern Ohio ...
S
Sullivan K Offline
"Keith"
Sullivan K  Offline
"Keith"
S

Northern Ohio ...
I live about 30 miles from Lake Erie. When I was a kid we shot carp, with bow and arrows, that came up the ditches to spawn. Occasionally we would see a pike. They were swimming, probably more than 30 miles, following the ditches to spawn. I once saw a pike, at the end run of a ditch, that was in only a couple of inches of water. Half of the fish was out of water.

My name ain't Keith
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread