No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: Wolfdog91] #8081675
02/19/24 09:03 PM
02/19/24 09:03 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
You are his uncle. Are you the "cool uncle" in his eyes?
KIds tend to hang on every word of their "Cool Uncle", as opposed to listening to the same old crap from their parents and siblings.
Use that to your advantage. Take him to do cool stuff, then sidle into some of the things which he would be benefitted by if he would take the time to listen and try. You may be the only one who has his ear.

Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: 52Carl] #8081692
02/19/24 09:26 PM
02/19/24 09:26 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by 52Carl
KIds tend to hang on every word of their "Cool Uncle", as opposed to listening to the same old crap from their parents and siblings.
Use that to your advantage. Take him to do cool stuff, then sidle into some of the things which he would be benefitted by if he would take the time to listen and try. You may be the only one who has his ear.

X2

NRA benefactor member
Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: Wolfdog91] #8081707
02/19/24 09:40 PM
02/19/24 09:40 PM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Dad would say four years in the infantry in ww2 and you’ll eat no questions asked

Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: FL cracker in AK] #8082431
02/20/24 10:02 PM
02/20/24 10:02 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by FL cracker in AK
Let him help cook the food. When I babysit my nieces and nephews, and especially for my own kids, they love being invited to help cook (I make it fun.), and by cooking they not only have ownership of what we're having, the smelling the whole time it's cooking, it wakes up their stomachs and makes them ravenous, has worked on picky eaters in the past. Has also introduced a lot of kids to the magic of cooking. I'm a breakfast or grilling guy when I cook.

Id really like to get him to help with cooking. I've tried before but and his momma is so dang over protective. Worried about him cutting himself or if I show him out to cook an egg or something (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) som how manage to burn the house down. Can't do much around her honestly. Gf was the same till I sat he down and had a really deep talk with how life is as a guy and how he's gonna have a really hard awakening one day if they dont stop babying him. Especially if he goes to public school. But now that j get him away from the house I can actually do something with him. And helping him with boy scouts is a perfect excuse now. Will say though pretty worried he's gonna puke or something when he sees what food looks like before it cooked raw chicken and the like because when she does cook they mom doesn't like them in the kitchen.....mean while my parents had me in there working like a dag slave laugh

Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: 52Carl] #8082436
02/20/24 10:06 PM
02/20/24 10:06 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi

I guess I am . His other uncle is kinda (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and looks at kids like a lot of people look at annoying pets. That being said when I'm around apparently he acts a lot different and listens better according to my gf and sister in laws.might just take a few more trips till he starts lookin at me like the cool uncle lol

Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: Wolfdog91] #8082584
02/21/24 02:05 AM
02/21/24 02:05 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
So, if I'm understanding this right, this is a kid of your girlfriends relatives and not your kin?

As I said earlier, I still don't think it's your place to try to fix his eating habits. But if you insist...

I'm a picky eater, always have been and will be. Now, I may not literally starve myself to death but I bet ya I could fast for better than a week before eating most veggies. Because what non-picky eaters don't understand, is it's better to be hungry than eat something that will make you throw up or gag.

But, that's probably not the case with the kid in question, he's probably just spoiled. Nothing wrong with forcing him to try one bite. If the threat of going to bed hungry doesn't do it, the threat of taking away his phone/tv/game/boy scouts/whatever probably will. If he tries a bite of something and pukes or gags, well, duh, don't make him eat that again. If he tries a bite of everything and says he doesn't like any of it, well fine.... he did what you asked. Just thank him for trying and let him be hungry. There are thousands of other foods to let him try the next day.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: Wolfdog91] #8082738
02/21/24 10:06 AM
02/21/24 10:06 AM
Washington
J
Jingles Offline
trapper
Jingles  Offline
trapper
J

Washington
Does he have allerdies?? Had a grand daughter that was a picky eater found out that certain foods made he sick, stomach aches, nausea, headaches . Found out allergic to gluten and dairy products.
Allergies have since " disappeared and now is an eating machine

The job of a Patriot is not to protect his country but to protect the people from the tryannical government
Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: Wolfdog91] #8082748
02/21/24 10:14 AM
02/21/24 10:14 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by FL cracker in AK
Let him help cook the food. When I babysit my nieces and nephews, and especially for my own kids, they love being invited to help cook (I make it fun.), and by cooking they not only have ownership of what we're having, the smelling the whole time it's cooking, it wakes up their stomachs and makes them ravenous, has worked on picky eaters in the past. Has also introduced a lot of kids to the magic of cooking. I'm a breakfast or grilling guy when I cook.

how he's gonna have a really hard awakening one day if they dont stop babying him. Especially if he goes to public school.

What school does he go to now if not public school?

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Need some advice with picky kids [Re: Wolfdog91] #8083262
02/21/24 11:21 PM
02/21/24 11:21 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

I guess I am . His other uncle is kinda (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and looks at kids like a lot of people look at annoying pets. That being said when I'm around apparently he acts a lot different and listens better according to my gf and sister in laws.might just take a few more trips till he starts lookin at me like the cool uncle lol

Spending time with him will benefit you as much as it will him. I have done a lot of that in my time. Little league baseball, football, basketball, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and 4-H Rifle Team.
I always found that I was drawn to kids who didn't excel right out of the gate. I figured that the kids who were natural talents didn't need me all that much.
I never talked down to kids, or show anger or raise my voice. I spoke to them on their level. I pulled them along rather than push them. That tends to lead to a buy-in on their part. After a while they would hang on my every word, just like how a kid does with his favorite uncle. I gave everyone a nickname. Put some thought into each one of them. They ate it up.
There is nothing that I find more rewarding than to see a kid finally get it. I'll never forget the smiles on their faces and neither will they.
Many of the kids are from broken homes or their dads are away from home in the service, and their moms want them to have a male role model in the kids life. These kids, though problematic at times, are starving for someone to work with them and be praised when they do something praiseworthy. I miss those days.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread