No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Tracks in the snow don't lie #8079688
02/17/24 11:45 AM
02/17/24 11:45 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana

So I figured we didn't have to many yotes left on the farm. Been a few weeks to month between catches and have taken 4 so far. The boy had one yesterday and I told him he should re set it and a few other traps that had catches from skunks and opossum but he had not reset because he didn't pack tools and lure to check traps. Seems he was getting lazy after not getting a lot of catches for several days

Well last night we had rain that turned to sleet and then snow. This morning I went to check and re set with him since he didn't reset the k9 sets just a few sets for adc problem animals instead.

Well a pair of coyote covered the farm very well last night and went right up to and past sets with traps not set. Looks like he got another lesson or two today. The tracks in the snow don't lie, and old dad may just know what he was talking about when I told him the k9s would likely move with the weather.

I well he will get them next time. Fur quality was very poor on the one yesterday so did not bother to skin it. Another female gone and that is enough for me. 3 of the 4 he had caught have been female. Now to get the two I know came through last night. They got very close to the barn and houses.

May need to go back and trap some beaver and put what I don't keep in a thicket and hang some snares. But I won't be off work much before season is out.

Re: Tracks in the snow don't lie [Re: Providence Farm] #8079734
02/17/24 12:46 PM
02/17/24 12:46 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Snow is always humbling to the trapper when u don't trap in it regularly. Most people, myself included, miss more critters than we think. Watched a YouTube video of a trapper in Oklahoma a year ago that got a snow one day. Don't quote me but I think between bobcats and coyotes he had like 7 animals come check out his sets that he didn't catch. I've seen it too many times too believe those misses aren't the normal for most of us. Most of us miss more critters than we want to believe and without snow it's pretty easy to believe we've caught them all.

Re: Tracks in the snow don't lie [Re: Providence Farm] #8079775
02/17/24 01:48 PM
02/17/24 01:48 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
It is amazing all the little stories you get to read with a fresh snow.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Tracks in the snow don't lie [Re: Providence Farm] #8079783
02/17/24 01:55 PM
02/17/24 01:55 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Its also a good feeling to not see any tracks in the calving pasture you been working. Coyotes are sure enough spooky. Throw the same thing at em till the catch slows way down. Leave everything there then add different stuff. I dont snare for example till my dirtholes quit working.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Tracks in the snow don't lie [Re: Providence Farm] #8079786
02/17/24 02:00 PM
02/17/24 02:00 PM
East Texas
S
SLEDD Offline
trapper
SLEDD  Offline
trapper
S

East Texas
If you don't have snow mud will work. A neighbor recently said she saw a cougar in the neighborhood in the daylight. I brushed it off as a city girl not knowing what she saw. The guy across the street called me to look at some huge tracks in the mud by his house. Definitely a big cougar.

Anything the governments gives you they must first take away from someone else.
Re: Tracks in the snow don't lie [Re: Providence Farm] #8079791
02/17/24 02:05 PM
02/17/24 02:05 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I remember when I was a kid, I went deer hunting with my dad to his camp but I was actually more interested in trapping since I couldn't catch anything around the house and I figured the local critters were all on to me, lol. I was trying to catch my first coyote and failing miserably. Well, at the end of a dead end road there was a clearing, on state land, and I made a set there.

I was excited because as I was setting it, it was snowing heavily and I thought the snow would blend everything in. But, unfortunately I was also still experimenting with how to freeze proof sets, and some book or magazine had recommended spraying glycol over the set. So I really soaked the dirt down good with my glycol mix, lured the set, and went on just knowing that set would have my first coyote the next day.

What I saw there the next day was heartbreaking to a young, aspiring coyote trapper, lol. The snow around that set was literally beaten down with coyote tracks. It was probably only one or two coyotes that did it but back then I was convinced 20 coyotes had been there, lol. And right in the center of all those hundreds of tracks was a perfectly brown circle of wet looking dirt with NO snow covering it. The glycol had melted any snow that fell over my trap, and the coyotes flat out refused to step in that out of place brown circle. I think that was the last time I ever used glycol as a trap antifreeze.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Tracks in the snow don't lie [Re: yotetrapper30] #8079799
02/17/24 02:17 PM
02/17/24 02:17 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I remember when I was a kid, I went deer hunting with my dad to his camp but I was actually more interested in trapping since I couldn't catch anything around the house and I figured the local critters were all on to me, lol. I was trying to catch my first coyote and failing miserably. Well, at the end of a dead end road there was a clearing, on state land, and I made a set there.

I was excited because as I was setting it, it was snowing heavily and I thought the snow would blend everything in. But, unfortunately I was also still experimenting with how to freeze proof sets, and some book or magazine had recommended spraying glycol over the set. So I really soaked the dirt down good with my glycol mix, lured the set, and went on just knowing that set would have my first coyote the next day.

What I saw there the next day was heartbreaking to a young, aspiring coyote trapper, lol. The snow around that set was literally beaten down with coyote tracks. It was probably only one or two coyotes that did it but back then I was convinced 20 coyotes had been there, lol. And right in the center of all those hundreds of tracks was a perfectly brown circle of wet looking dirt with NO snow covering it. The glycol had melted any snow that fell over my trap, and the coyotes flat out refused to step in that out of place brown circle. I think that was the last time I ever used glycol as a trap antifreeze.

See that snow taught you what you needed to know.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Tracks in the snow don't lie [Re: Providence Farm] #8079842
02/17/24 03:37 PM
02/17/24 03:37 PM
PA/NY on the line
JEckman Offline
trapper
JEckman  Offline
trapper

PA/NY on the line
Snow is the great teacher...
Can learn more in 2 weeks of trapping with snow than an entire season without..

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread