No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
103.18 JC higgins #8079716
02/17/24 12:15 PM
02/17/24 12:15 PM
Wisconsin
C
Clemke Offline OP
trapper
Clemke  Offline OP
trapper
C

Wisconsin
My next project was to get this single shot working I figured out the problem with it after shooting it. The cases are expanding in the rifle and get stuck. Does anyone have experience with a marlin model 100m or a jc higgins 22 103.18. [Linked Image]
Casing on the left is a normal spent casing
Right is out of the gun I am working on

Re: 103.18 JC higgins [Re: Clemke] #8079728
02/17/24 12:36 PM
02/17/24 12:36 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
At first I thought new barrel. Then remembered the rifle your talking about. There is a square shape that holds the bolt forward when you close it. If the bolt can wiggle a bit when its closed that is where the problem is. Probably wear on the receiver. Might be on the bolt. Its possible the bolt might be a replacement.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 103.18 JC higgins [Re: Clemke] #8079744
02/17/24 01:04 PM
02/17/24 01:04 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
that looks like brass of an out of battery firing.
which would be odd for a bolt action
I am almost wondering if maybe you ended up with the wrong bolt at some point

if you take a cleaning rod and bolt closed run it down the barrel mark it with a piece of tape that is bolt closed , then open the bolt and see if it is protruding back past the breech face when at the tape mark it shouldn't be any more than the rim thickness

I assume you checked no barrel obstructions and it doesn't look like the barrel walked forward and that the barrel retaining pin is in place.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread