No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Heat pump advantages? [Re: MChewk] #8076861
02/14/24 11:55 AM
02/14/24 11:55 AM
Near Gardiner MT
E
Elkguy Offline
trapper
Elkguy  Offline
trapper
E

Near Gardiner MT
I have 2 wells within 40’ of each other that aren’t being used and have often thought they might work for geothermal heating system but I have had no luck finding anyone around here who knows about or installs them.

CBCS
Re: Heat pump advantages? [Re: MChewk] #8076984
02/14/24 03:46 PM
02/14/24 03:46 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Online content OP
trapper
MChewk  Online Content OP
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Midlander, I never even heard of geo until today....just a furnace guy learning...lol
I'll check it out....got an appointment with a hvac guy set up...lots of questions for him.
thanks again ALL.

Re: Heat pump advantages? [Re: MChewk] #8077020
02/14/24 05:03 PM
02/14/24 05:03 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
I am a lot further south than you are and I have a geothermal heat pump. The advantage with geo is that the efficiency does not change when the outdoor temp goes down or up like air exchange systems. The geo thermal transfer uses a constant temperature water source for the transfer medium. My well water runs 56 degrees year round and the heat pump uses that to extract either heat or cool. The other option is a 2,000' closed loop of pipe buried deep enough to maintain the constant groundwater temperature. When it is 10 degrees or 95 degrees outside, the heat pump is operating at the same efficiency. Yes, it will have to run longer to heat or cool in extreme temps but the transfer efficiency remains the same.

Geo is generally more expensive to install. My heat pump/dist fan unit is all in my basement. There is no outside unit.

If your house is well insulated, you could probably get by without a back up heat source.

My house, built in 1960, is not that well insulated but my unit will keep it comfortable down to 20 degrees. If it is going to be 20 or below for an extended period, I fire up the woodstove.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Heat pump advantages? [Re: MChewk] #8077074
02/14/24 06:31 PM
02/14/24 06:31 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Online content OP
trapper
MChewk  Online Content OP
trapper
M