No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Raccoon home range [Re: danny clifton] #8073732
02/10/24 06:17 PM
02/10/24 06:17 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I think "home range" and coon population density are two different numbers or factors if you will. As stated a lot depends on time of year, habitat and current food supply. In our region with a mix of marsh, woodlots, lots of crop land in stable rotations and several used and abandoned farmsteads and rural residents we have good coon density and movement may be less then in some areas. We don't have the density that say parts of IA, ILL, MO have but we can hold a lot of coon. One would think that with higher densities, males during the rut would not need to travel as far before the estrous cycles are over.
Where I do most of my trapping there are a ton of coons in late August and early September. By the 3rd week of September 2/3rds of the corn is silage and the coons relocate. I know trappers who live 15 miles from me where most of the corn is harvested for dry grain and they benefit from having the coon move to those fields but even more importantly today that corn is out into November and those coons caught then grade much better.

Bryce

Re: Raccoon home range [Re: Krm944] #8073982
02/10/24 10:35 PM
02/10/24 10:35 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
What is the habitat like outside of your 1000 acres? If it is similar, you have your work cut out for you. If you were somehow able to kill every last raccoon on your 1000 acres, raccoons from surrounding properties will fill back in in no time at all.
SInce you are not able to trap the entire 1000 acres at once, you will have a problem of raccoons from other spots on your property backfilling they area which you "cleaned out" and moved on.
Much of the year, except for the females raising young, raccoons are driven by their stomachs. They will travel as far as it takes to fill it. In that process, wherever he hangs his hat is his home.
In other words, the size of their range is dependent on available food sources, which, by the way, vary greatly throughout the year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread