No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Raccoon & coyote season extension pro/con [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8072559
02/09/24 09:36 AM
02/09/24 09:36 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper
K

east central WI
Yes,
Yes,
and yes.

Re: Raccoon & coyote season extension pro/con [Re: Muskrat] #8072675
02/09/24 12:24 PM
02/09/24 12:24 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Originally Posted by Muskrat
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I have heard arguments for trapping nest predators shortly before bird nesting seasons being beneficial.

Good read here:

https://deltawaterfowl.org/predator-management/

I join Delta Waterfowl because of their open minded approach to predator control and how that can be used to dramatically make a difference to improve waterfowl population And of course ground nesting birds in generally all will be higher where predator control in being put to use .Delta Waterfowl for their stand on predator control and Pheasants Forever,s habitat that key to the growth of the ground nesting bird population is undisturbed nesting aeras If waterfowl and pheasants have any future in America and Canada it will be by those two concepts that will be the foundation for that success I would encourage any one that has a PF or DW chapter near to them to check them out and consider joining I can almost guarantee that your hunting and trapping will be much improved by becoming and active member of a DW or PF Chapter member

Re: Raccoon & coyote season extension pro/con [Re: w side rd 151] #8072740
02/09/24 01:30 PM
02/09/24 01:30 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
Originally Posted by Muskrat

I join Delta Waterfowl because of their open minded approach to predator control and how that can be used to dramatically make a difference to improve waterfowl population And of course ground nesting birds in generally all will be higher where predator control in being put to use .Delta Waterfowl for their stand on predator control and Pheasants Forever,s habitat that key to the growth of the ground nesting bird population is undisturbed nesting aeras If waterfowl and pheasants have any future in America and Canada it will be by those two concepts that will be the foundation for that success I would encourage any one that has a PF or DW chapter near to them to check them out and consider joining I can almost guarantee that your hunting and trapping will be much improved by becoming and active member of a DW or PF Chapter member

It is pretty hopeless for pheasants in Green county from a habitat standpoint. Fence lines removed, ditches mowed, corn fields plowed over before winter. Just my humble observation.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Raccoon & coyote season extension pro/con [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8072796
02/09/24 02:44 PM
02/09/24 02:44 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Habitat is really the key to nesting success on a large scale. When I trapped a block by Michigan ND for Delta, there was a trapper trapping twelve miles south of the south side of my block for them also. He had more big blocks of grass, 2-5 sections of grass joined. He always caught less predators than I did, and had a higher hatch rate than I did. I would guess 10-15% There were way less predators in the centers of the large grass blocks. Delta even talked about the large grass areas having a higher nesting success than small grass areas. From what I saw the small grass areas had a lot less nests too.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Raccoon & coyote season extension pro/con [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8072850
02/09/24 03:39 PM
02/09/24 03:39 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
In my opinion this should be done in every state. For what we pay in taxes it should always be up to the land owner who traps his land and when . As far as the value of fur , if the price were to recover it would be as easy as the click on a computer to reinstate a season for fur harvest. The old excuse we have been told in the past about only making changes on a five year basis due to putting things in print are nonsense. Few people wait for the hard copy to be printed these days.

Re: Raccoon & coyote season extension pro/con [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8072931
02/09/24 05:21 PM
02/09/24 05:21 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
With the MAJORITY of wild fur prices in the toilet and very few trappers/snare men and women interested in pursuing fur.... having open seasons on trapping and hunting on all fur bearers makes sense to me. Animals need to be managed and it is obvious that it is happening at a very small scale....just my thoughts.

Re: Raccoon & coyote season extension pro/con [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8073002
02/09/24 07:03 PM
02/09/24 07:03 PM
chelsea,wi
keets Offline
trapper
keets  Offline
trapper

chelsea,wi
yes

2021 goals....make time to trap
PROUD MEMBER WTA NTA FTA GOA SPORTSMANS ALLIANCE