No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Heating a home [Re: MJM] #8064807
01/30/24 11:51 PM
01/30/24 11:51 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Online content
trapper
bucksnbears  Online Content
trapper
B

western mn
Originally Posted by MJM
The smell of coal smoke meant heat, so it didn't seem that bad to me.

Mark. March out back and cut some oak. Lol.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Heating a home [Re: Providence Farm] #8064822
01/31/24 12:08 AM
01/31/24 12:08 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Posco
You guys seeing smoke from coal must be burning bituminous. Anthracite produces zero visible smoke and no odor. I've been burning it for more than a decade. I love it.

I'm sure there is something to this. I'm uneducated about coal. Bought a coal rated stove drove to the mine I was told would sell it to me got 3.8 ton on my flat bed trailer and drove it the 1.5 hrs home. Our mines are strip mines high sulfur I heard. No idea what it's called. Makes a green tint smoke my closest neighborhood and friends wife didn't like it with her breathing problem. And they are not real close to us. I couldn't keep it lite with coal only had to mix in wood. Figured it was very poor coal most likely. Never have seen a source anywhere around for anything else . I think that mine has since closed.

You're not wrong. I did a bit of research and found Indiana is sitting on a pile of bituminous coal. It's considered a softer, dirtier coal to burn. I think I read anthracite makes up less the 10% of the world's coal reserves. I'm burning Pennsylvania anthracite.

Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8064827
01/31/24 12:13 AM
01/31/24 12:13 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Good to know. I didn't write it off just didn't want any more of what I had. I was excited to try it it was cheap I thought can't remember the price anymore. Thought if it worked I would get a bunch more and have it around Incase I couldn't get out and cut wood. But it didn't work out like I hoped.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/31/24 08:21 AM.
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8064922
01/31/24 07:43 AM
01/31/24 07:43 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Just LP for me 1200 gallons a year 2 tanks fill in summer at about 1,00 gal, no worries and no work in winter or wood cutting in summer

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8065021
01/31/24 09:21 AM
01/31/24 09:21 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I like chucking wood and it’s free with all of the ash and elm trees dying around here. We get other hardwoods depending on the area the wood comes from. Some towns must of planted different species as projects at some time because that’s the only place you run into that type of tree.

One town around here has hackberry a type of elm a different town has honey locust some have maples. Some trees might be the work of individuals efforts other are clearly the result of a planting projects.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Heating a home [Re: Law Dog] #8065139
01/31/24 11:48 AM
01/31/24 11:48 AM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
Originally Posted by Law Dog
I like chucking wood and it’s free with all of the ash and elm trees dying around here. We get other hardwoods depending on the area the wood comes from. Some towns must of planted different species as projects at some time because that’s the only place you run into that type of tree.

One town around here has hackberry a type of elm a different town has honey locust some have maples. Some trees might be the work of individuals efforts other are clearly the result of a planting projects.

Love that locust for burning or making fence posts.

Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8065152
01/31/24 12:05 PM
01/31/24 12:05 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
So does anyone use a wood boiler in conjunction with hot water radiant floor heat? If so, how does that work? The demand side does not seem too extreme........temp of water going in not much over 120F if that......but how much heat does it use?

We have a hot water circulating pump on the hot water heater, so distant faucets like kitchen and bathrooms have instant on hot water.........and since this house is on a slab (hate that but is what it is), the floor area where those lines run is always warm. But that is a very small part of the house. The whole thing would be a bigger load. But once you got it up to temp, seems like it would be easy to keep it there.

Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8065160
01/31/24 12:19 PM
01/31/24 12:19 PM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
I've got in floor heat in the garage and basement,but don't use it all the time.but it is nice if iam working on vehicles in the garage.like everything else you use alot more wood/fuel when trying to heat more water.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread