No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Chancey] #8065201
01/31/24 01:31 PM
01/31/24 01:31 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Minox refused to repair my binocs.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Chancey] #8065214
01/31/24 01:55 PM
01/31/24 01:55 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
My Vortex range finders button would stick sometimes, I walked in to their lobby, told the receptionist what was wrong, within minutes I had the newest , 1level upgrade in my hands, no charge.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Chancey] #8065217
01/31/24 01:57 PM
01/31/24 01:57 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
A friend had been a fan of Stiener until he needed some warranty work done. No more.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Chancey] #8065280
01/31/24 03:28 PM
01/31/24 03:28 PM
PA
S
Snyde901 Offline
trapper
Snyde901  Offline
trapper
S

PA
Bought the Vortex Fury range finding binos, I carelessly left the covers off and the objective looked like it was sandblasting from grinding off the rocks. Sent them to Vortex told them what I did & asked for a repair quote. They sent a brand new pair in the box including the chest rig free of charge. Didn't expect that but Ill recommend them to anyone, you usually don't hear the good on the negatives but Leupold, Exo Mountain Gear, & Yeti are a few others who stand behind their products.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: T-Rex] #8065571
01/31/24 09:38 PM
01/31/24 09:38 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by T-Rex
Friends are over-rated.

WOW!! You mustnot have any really good ones.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: randall brannon] #8065599
01/31/24 10:01 PM
01/31/24 10:01 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
I had a 8.5 X 25 X 50 Leupold. I got it with canted reticle. Sent it back 3 times. The 3 time I had it upgraded to MLR or so crap. Still came back canted. But it had the Newest latest greatest reticle. Sold that junker at a pawn shop cut my losses. Bought 7 or 8 Nightforce scopes since then. NEVER had an issue.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: randall brannon] #8065678
01/31/24 11:37 PM
01/31/24 11:37 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by randall brannon
Originally Posted by T-Rex
Friends are over-rated.

WOW!! You mustnot have any really good ones.
Like anything else there are good ones, and not so good ones. A likely ratio is one of the first kind to nine of the latter

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: waggler] #8065712
02/01/24 01:02 AM
02/01/24 01:02 AM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline OP
trapper
Chancey  Offline OP
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted by waggler
I just sent the following inquiry to Zeiss USA. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

"I am a registered hunting guide in Alaska. I own Zeiss binoculars, I recommend them to my hunting clients. I have never had a problem with my Zeiss products. However, I have recently heard that Zeiss is no longer offering free repair on products that were purchased with a lifetime warranty. Is this True? If so, I will no longer be able to recommend Zeiss binoculars and scopes."

Please let us know what they say Waggler. I for one am very curious. Below is what they sent back to me when they received my binoculars.......

Dear Chancey,

We have completed the inspection on your Dialyt ("ClassiC") 10x40, Serial # 2858167.

Note: Fortunately we don't see fungus growth as far as we can tell without opening. This means that we can still open the optic and replace the needed parts. This is time sensitive as fungus could develop and we will not be able to open it for service. The repairs listed below would have to be approved as a whole.

Note: If fungus is found when opened the repairs will cease to continue. As this could contaminate other optics in our shop.

Inspection Results

· Focus drive and diopter needs reworked

· Eye cups damaged

· Left prism has fog

· Left objective lens has fog

· Left ocular lens has water internal

Necessary Repair(s)

· Rework and lubricate focus drive and diopter

· Replace left prism

· Replace left objective lens

· Replace left ocular lens

· Perform alignment

Necessary Repair(s) Cost is $1,183.22

Goodwill Repair(s)

· Replace both eyecups

· Clean outside of optic

Optional Repair(s)

· Replace right ocular lenses

Optional Repair(s) Cost is $158.95

Total for Necessary Repair is $1,183.22

Total for Necessary Repair with Optional Repair is $1,342.17

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Osky] #8065714
02/01/24 01:11 AM
02/01/24 01:11 AM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline OP
trapper
Chancey  Offline OP
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted by Osky
To the OP, have you contacted them and tried to go up the chain for a legitimate explanation?

I have a variety, Weaver, Leupold, old red fields, Nikons, Zeiss, Swaro and a few others. All good for what they are. Frankly I am least impressed with my upper end Zeiss but they are holding up fine. Personally I’m not buying any more Zeiss, doesn’t mean others shouldn’t.
I recently found a Weaver Grand Slam of mine won’t hold vertically. First trouble I’ve had with any scope, maybe I’ve just been lucky? Gotta figure out where to send it. For 20 years or so it’s been just fine.

I do know two good guys who had issues with Leupolds in the last maybe 15 years. One in the optics, the other had gotten his so impacted with fine blowing sand over time you couldn’t move the power ring without a pipe wrench.
They both returned them to Leupold and both were returned pristine at no charge to the guys.

For what it’s worth.
Osky

Thanks Osky. I did call them after they sent me that quote. I talked to the customer relations people and gave my thoughts that I thought fogged up glass should be covered under warranty. They informed me that they gave me a good deal to buy the updated model for $750 dollars rather than spending the $1300 on repairs. Said they were giving me that set of binos for $300 off. I respectfully declined and asked them to send them back to me. I did not ask for one of their supervisors or try to go up the chain.

It just sucks cause those binos were my workhorse, and Zeiss don't even make that model no more. When you get used to using a tool, it is hard to replace it.

My best friend has a pair of Swaro ELs. He dropped it on a rock and broke one of the lenses. He sent it to them, and they gave him a brand new pair free of charge. Swarovski honors their warranty.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Leftlane] #8065723
02/01/24 01:48 AM
02/01/24 01:48 AM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline OP
trapper
Chancey  Offline OP
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Thanks for the heads up. I will remember that while I shop Nikon Leopold.

Hoss, I don't know about Leupold as I have never had to send one of my scopes off; they have served me well. But I can say one thing about Nikon. Their customer service is top notch and they honor their warranties. I sent beat up, lens cap broke, scratched glass, non-focusing 20 year old binos to them, and they fixed and refurbished them free of charge.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Chancey] #8065845
02/01/24 09:13 AM
02/01/24 09:13 AM
Mn
R
Reaperman Offline
trapper
Reaperman  Offline
trapper
R

Mn
Find some mold somewhere and soak your binos in it, then send them back in a friends name.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Chancey] #8065859
02/01/24 09:35 AM
02/01/24 09:35 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Chancey
Originally Posted by Osky
To the OP, have you contacted them and tried to go up the chain for a legitimate explanation?

I have a variety, Weaver, Leupold, old red fields, Nikons, Zeiss, Swaro and a few others. All good for what they are. Frankly I am least impressed with my upper end Zeiss but they are holding up fine. Personally I’m not buying any more Zeiss, doesn’t mean others shouldn’t.
I recently found a Weaver Grand Slam of mine won’t hold vertically. First trouble I’ve had with any scope, maybe I’ve just been lucky? Gotta figure out where to send it. For 20 years or so it’s been just fine.

I do know two good guys who had issues with Leupolds in the last maybe 15 years. One in the optics, the other had gotten his so impacted with fine blowing sand over time you couldn’t move the power ring without a pipe wrench.
They both returned them to Leupold and both were returned pristine at no charge to the guys.

For what it’s worth.
Osky

Thanks Osky. I did call them after they sent me that quote. I talked to the customer relations people and gave my thoughts that I thought fogged up glass should be covered under warranty. They informed me that they gave me a good deal to buy the updated model for $750 dollars rather than spending the $1300 on repairs. Said they were giving me that set of binos for $300 off. I respectfully declined and asked them to send them back to me. I did not ask for one of their supervisors or try to go up the chain.

It just sucks cause those binos were my workhorse, and Zeiss don't even make that model no more. When you get used to using a tool, it is hard to replace it.

My best friend has a pair of Swaro ELs. He dropped it on a rock and broke one of the lenses. He sent it to them, and they gave him a brand new pair free of charge. Swarovski honors their warranty.

That’s insane. By the response Zeiss sent back to you I am to gather that all these past years the factory repairs went back out contaminated and dangerous number one, and number two the repair workers all these years have been dropping like flies due to fungal diseases?
There are air filtering/exchange systems that handle that for even the biggest factories, I am invested in one such company maybe my people should talk to their people?

Call me crazy but working with sealed optics in which a completely dust/contaminant free environment would be the optimum, a company like zeiss is behind the eight ball?
Silly me.

I’m glad this topic came up. As I said I do have a couple Zeiss, and as I also said I do not think for the valu they are the best out there. I “ need” two more pieces of glass at this time and this thread has taken zeiss off the table for me for good.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Chancey] #8065871
02/01/24 09:50 AM
02/01/24 09:50 AM
AK / ND
A
aknome Offline
trapper
aknome  Offline
trapper
A

AK / ND
i sent in a Zeiss spotting scope for repair a couple years ago. They charged me zero and even paid for shipping.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Chancey] #8065883
02/01/24 10:05 AM
02/01/24 10:05 AM
AK / ND
A
aknome Offline
trapper
aknome  Offline
trapper
A

AK / ND
I have since switched to Swarovski spotters and binocs. Nightforce and Leupold scopes.

Re: Don't buy Zeiss [Re: Reaperman] #8065902
02/01/24 10:30 AM
02/01/24 10:30 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by Reaperman
Find some mold somewhere and soak your binos in it, then send them back in a friends name.
A fine example of an over-rated friend.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread