ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Check out this coon cage! #8014650
12/07/23 09:19 PM
12/07/23 09:19 PM
PA
Trapper_Dusty Offline OP
trapper
Trapper_Dusty  Offline OP
trapper

PA
I am a newer NWCO...I have an older, cheaper cage trap that I was using for coon work. Obviously, as you see in the pics, this trap failed as the coon was able to break the wires and make a hole almost big enough to escape. Surely he would have escaped given just a bit more time, though I am amazed that he was able to force through that hole. It does not appear large enough for that coon to squeeze through. The bad thing was, this particular customer was sensitive and did not want to see any coon hurt at all. I walked upon this thing and was not sure what to do. If I loaded the cage onto my rear carrier as is, I was sure the coon would make the full escape while I was going down the road. What would you do? I could not shoot my .22 as the people would surely hear it. Fortunately, I was just behind a dumpster and the coon was not very visible and was off camera. I was not really prepared to dispatch the thing on site, so I had to hunt around for something to club with and hurry up and cover the trap and get out of there. I dispatched the coon as quickly as possible and when I turned around, there was the gentleman who hired me. No doubt, he heard some of what was going on. I was extremely apologetic and he seemed to be understanding, but really did not want his wife to see what was happening. Whew!

I guess the moral of the story is, make sure you have good equipment. I own several excellent cage traps...I just happened to connect with this old blunderbuss of a trap...good grief!

What would you all have done? Was there a slick way to handle such a predicament? (I know, I know...it was stupid to employ a cheap, junky trap in the first place). Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is what is a guy to do? Could I have somehow constrained that coon and taken him elsewhere for dispatch? I'm not sure the people would have liked me using a catch pole and yanking the coon out through the hole to put it another cage. What a mess...

coon.cage.large.jpgcoon.hole.large.jpg

"There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, Mine!" -- Kuyper
Re: Check out this coon cage! [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8015451
12/08/23 04:56 PM
12/08/23 04:56 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Coon will test a cage trap. I try & rotate what is used so I have time to check the cages after some use. Bent trigger wires, pans & broken wire's. urine left on will rust wire, I wash the cages down after use & give em a little spray of rust proof paint.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Check out this coon cage! [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8015630
12/08/23 08:17 PM
12/08/23 08:17 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I’ve lost raccoons when they destroyed the trap. But they just ripped the door off.

I stopped buying traps that can’t hold the raccoon. It’s cheaper and easier in the long run!

Re: Check out this coon cage! [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8016320
12/09/23 05:26 PM
12/09/23 05:26 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
Looks like you did the best you could under the circumstances. Discreet as possible and effective. Animals will test your equipment and get into situations that require thinking outside the box. Learn from it and move on.
I had a broken wire on a skunk size cage that I caught a red squirrel in. He did the same as that raccoon (without further damage), and I had the same remedy as you.

Re: Check out this coon cage! [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8020363
12/14/23 12:36 AM
12/14/23 12:36 AM
OR
W
wws Offline
trapper
wws  Offline
trapper
W

OR
Careful of what traps you buy, I have bought used traps off craigslist and places like that, but those cheap traps I pass on. Used havahearts and little giants, I'll use for nutria, but might think twice about coons. I see in the picture the cage is held together with just the wires being bent over on all four sides that's not a cage I would trust my company's name too.

Western Wildlife Services

Re: Check out this coon cage! [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8020769
12/14/23 03:50 PM
12/14/23 03:50 PM
PA
Trapper_Dusty Offline OP
trapper
Trapper_Dusty  Offline OP
trapper

PA
If I remember right, I bought this on sale at a Tractor Supply about 10 years ago before I was doing NWCO work. Now I have some Comstock cages and a couple made by a company called "EZ Set" which are pretty beefy. Time to retire the cheapo trap.

"There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, Mine!" -- Kuyper
Re: Check out this coon cage! [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8020862
12/14/23 05:51 PM
12/14/23 05:51 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Trapper_Dusty
Time to retire the cheapo trap.

If it is kinda fixable , don't exactly retire it.
It is now your 'loaner' trap for those pesky friends and family so they don't borrow your good stuff and you have to chase it back down to get it returned. I have a couple of Hav-A-Junk traps that were given to me , I loan those out.

However , even a good trap can fail with a determined raccoon. I had one go through the door of one of my Wickencamps. That door was made out of 1/4" welded steel rod. No mesh or sheet metal , just steel bars. It pulled and pulled until the rods bent. Then broke the welds on 2 bars and got out. They are very strong animals.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Check out this coon cage! [Re: Trapper_Dusty] #8063149
01/28/24 11:36 PM
01/28/24 11:36 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Sounds like you will be dealing with better traps from now on . As per dealing with critters in front of the client, I would have opted for a catch pole . I’m sure they would have gotten a laugh out of seeing a little rodeo with a catch pole versus a braining .

Re: Check out this coon cage! [Re: Golf ball] #8063239
01/29/24 07:12 AM
01/29/24 07:12 AM
IA
K
kinley31 Offline
trapper
kinley31  Offline
trapper
K

IA
Originally Posted by Golf ball
Sounds like you will be dealing with better traps from now on . As per dealing with critters in front of the client, I would have opted for a catch pole . I’m sure they would have gotten a laugh out of seeing a little rodeo with a catch pole versus a braining .

Yes, for that situation I would have opted for a Death Ray catch pole. Lee Steinmeyer in Kansas used to make them but sold it to Kendall Obermeier in Iowa who owns No BS Lures. I own two of them. If you do any coyote trapping, aside from NWCO/ADC work, they are one of the best investments you will ever make.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread