No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060592
01/26/24 10:48 AM
01/26/24 10:48 AM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
depend on the kids and the parents and your local school system. It might be the right fit for some in some areas.

Public schools here are great though.

My kids need the social aspect of school too. Most of the homeschooled kids and their families around here are real weirdos

Last edited by ILcooner; 01/26/24 10:50 AM.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8060605
01/26/24 10:54 AM
01/26/24 10:54 AM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
you missed on the analogy there

Were you home schooled by chance?

Originally Posted by Dirt

You make different sound bad. I didn't want to produce sheep. I tried to produce wolves.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: ILcooner] #8060612
01/26/24 10:59 AM
01/26/24 10:59 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Online content
trapper
BernieB.  Online Content
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by ILcooner
depend on the kids and the parents and your local school system. It might be the right fit for some in some areas.

My kids need the social aspect of school too. Most of the homeschooled kids and their families around here are real weirdos

I doubt if you would recognize home schooled students if you ran into them anywhere. How would you know? Most people would be shocked to learn how many there actually are.

In Minnesota there are between 20-25,000 home schooled. There are around 70-75,000 in non-public schools. They look and act just like everyone else, except maybe fewer of them have purple hair and are wearing hog rings in their noses.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: ILcooner] #8060614
01/26/24 11:02 AM
01/26/24 11:02 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

How old are Your kids?

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: ILcooner] #8060617
01/26/24 11:03 AM
01/26/24 11:03 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
you missed on the analogy there

Were you home schooled by chance?

Originally Posted by Dirt

You make different sound bad. I didn't want to produce sheep. I tried to produce wolves.

I think we covered this subject before two days ago. Public school educated. I wonder why I'm different?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060643
01/26/24 11:32 AM
01/26/24 11:32 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Online content
trapper
BernieB.  Online Content
trapper

Northern Minnesota
For what it's worth, I think I have a unique perspective on this. My wife and I both are products of public school systems. But they were nothing like the public schools today. I am good friends with several public school teachers, about half of which put their kids through Christian schools. One was a public school principle for many years before retiring and helping start a Christian school. He now serves on the board of that school. I've had these conversations with these friends over and over. Nothing covered in this thread has not been discussed.

My unique perspective is this. We homeschooled our kids for the first 2-3 years of school and then enrolled them in a Christian school. Private schools are expensive and a big burden on the budget of a middle class family. There was a point where we needed a break and we decided to put our kids in the public school in small town Iowa. A small, rural, politically conservative area. They were in 9th, 7th and 5th grade. Half way through the school year, they were begging us to get them out of there. Lots of reasons, no need to list them all here. Our 9th grade son offered to get a job and pay half his tuition if we would pay the other half. The following school year they were back in the private school getting a much higher quality education in a much more calm environment where they could really thrive. They were in sports and did well. Our two younger sons never had to experience the public school, they went right from home-schooling to the Christian school. Two of the three oldest were valedictorians. My daughter was also valedictorian in college and played college volleyball. One of my sons played college soccer on scholarship. One is an airline pilot, one is a software developer, etc.

I believe the individual attention they got from being homeschooled early, helped them excel in school. I also think the $100,000+ I paid for private education over the years (While still paying property taxes to the public school system) was worth every single dime.

Our story is not an exception, it's the most common outcome for people who are serious about their kids' education and aren't willing to throw them into the mess that is our public school system today.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: atrapper] #8060648
01/26/24 11:39 AM
01/26/24 11:39 AM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Whew. I was really upset when you said your kids only spoke elvish as I assumed you meant Sindarin and figured they would all never amount to anything more than a cook or maid for the hobbits. Glad you specified that they're Quendi.

Glad you understand the difference. We're gonna make something outta them kids, by Eru!

Originally Posted by atrapper

I've been a public school teacher for 15 years. All three of my children go to the school that my wife and I teach at. That said, you hit the nail on the head jht. As parents, teachers, and caring adults, we should all be in the same business of doing what's best to raise our children the right way. For some that is public schools. For others it's home schooling. Based on your comments, jht, you and your wife are doing a wonderful job raising your children and they will do very well in life. Not all children are fortunate enough to have parents that have the perspective and dedication that you and your wife do. For those children that aren't fortunate to have that caring adult in their life, I hope to be a little glimmer of inspiration as their public school teacher. I could go on and on discussing the "pro's and con's" of public education versus home schooling but it really just comes down to what works best for everyone's situation. Like all professions, there are great and terrible teachers. There are great and terrible parents. No one blanket statement about public education is true and no one blanket statement about home schooling is true.

Thanks and amen! I appreciate your perspective on the role you can play for children at your school. A very worthy calling. Keep up the good work.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: BernieB.] #8060654
01/26/24 11:51 AM
01/26/24 11:51 AM
PA
H
hickoryridge Offline
trapper
hickoryridge  Offline
trapper
H

PA
Originally Posted by BernieB.
For what it's worth, I think I have a unique perspective on this. My wife and I both are products of public school systems. But they were nothing like the public schools today. I am good friends with several public school teachers, about half of which put their kids through Christian schools. One was a public school principle for many years before retiring and helping start a Christian school. He now serves on the board of that school. I've had these conversations with these friends over and over. Nothing covered in this thread has not been discussed.

My unique perspective is this. We homeschooled our kids for the first 2-3 years of school and then enrolled them in a Christian school. Private schools are expensive and a big burden on the budget of a middle class family. There was a point where we needed a break and we decided to put our kids in the public school in small town Iowa. A small, rural, politically conservative area. They were in 9th, 7th and 5th grade. Half way through the school year, they were begging us to get them out of there. Lots of reasons, no need to list them all here. Our 9th grade son offered to get a job and pay half his tuition if we would pay the other half. The following school year they were back in the private school getting a much higher quality education in a much more calm environment where they could really thrive. They were in sports and did well. Our two younger sons never had to experience the public school, they went right from home-schooling to the Christian school. Two of the three oldest were valedictorians. My daughter was also valedictorian in college and played college volleyball. One of my sons played college soccer on scholarship. One is an airline pilot, one is a software developer, etc.

I believe the individual attention they got from being homeschooled early, helped them excel in school. I also think the $100,000+ I paid for private education over the years (While still paying property taxes to the public school system) was worth every single dime.

Our story is not an exception, it's the most common outcome for people who are serious about their kids' education and aren't willing to throw them into the mess that is our public school system today.

yessir . . absolutely agree

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8060656
01/26/24 11:55 AM
01/26/24 11:55 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Tried it, Two students got suspended and the teacher got fired for coming to work drunk.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Boco] #8062815
01/28/24 06:30 PM
01/28/24 06:30 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by Boco
Who on here were publicly schooled or home schooled.
I didnt go to school at all, then travelled and worked as a circus clown to expand my life experience.
Growing up I spent all my spare time playing hockey and hunting trapping fishing canoeing swimming water skiing camping and learning the bush.I also worked as a kid to earn money-paper route,work on farms loading hay bales,cut lawns shovel snow,pick and sell dew worms,anything to earn a bit of spending money,which I spent on knives guns fishing stuff,etc.
I consider it all part of my education.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8062819
01/28/24 06:34 PM
01/28/24 06:34 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
[Linked Image]

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Mando] #8062823
01/28/24 06:42 PM
01/28/24 06:42 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Mando
]Who on here were publicly schooled or home schooled.
I didnt go to school at all, then travelled and worked as a circus clown to expand my life experience.

Last edited by Boco; 01/28/24 06:43 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8062846
01/28/24 07:04 PM
01/28/24 07:04 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Boco. You're a good sport at least. laugh

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Mando] #8062857
01/28/24 07:11 PM
01/28/24 07:11 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
My name is Man Do because I like men laugh

I figured you might be that way,lol.

Last edited by Boco; 01/28/24 07:11 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Boco] #8062900
01/28/24 07:41 PM
01/28/24 07:41 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
My name is Man Do because I like men laugh

I figured you might be that way,lol.

Bahahaha. Love it Boco.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Boco] #8062993
01/28/24 09:05 PM
01/28/24 09:05 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Who on here were publicly schooled or home schooled.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread