No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Ltrman] #8058284
01/23/24 04:57 PM
01/23/24 04:57 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Ltrman
Originally Posted by snowy
Nothing against HSing. The problem I have with it is are they getting taught what they need to be successful for a college grad. I do know of one family that have HSed. The thing that stands out with those late teen and young adults is that they have social issues, and it has been hard for them to relate to others in the work force and their private lives. I know some here will say you don't need to be a college grad etc.. True but the world needs people that continue to carry us along with professional college degrees.

Just the observation and what has happened in their life as a young adult so far. None have furthered their education and have min wage job and not a career that will take them into retirement years.

Also not saying this is a normal situation in how all HSed kids move forward. I'm just given an example of the one family I can comment on with observation.

Since we're giving anecdotal evidence...Tim Tebow seems to have turned out ok....even after playing at the University of Florida...not exactly a bastion of virtue.

Whos Tim Tebow ?

Ohhh...he's the guy that couldn't throw in the pros.

Good Guy

Last edited by Nessmuck; 01/23/24 04:59 PM.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: TurkeyTime] #8058299
01/23/24 05:15 PM
01/23/24 05:15 PM
Lobelville, Tennessee
.44WCF Offline
trapper
.44WCF  Offline
trapper

Lobelville, Tennessee
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Have taught for 27 years, Conservative, and even show Jeremiah Johnson in class. Lumping all public schools and teachers together equates to watching some poorly done trapping video on Youtube and saying that is all trappers. Home schooling works for some but not all. I know of one family that home schooled correctly. All of the rest have some degree of not being comfortable in public. If I taught in the city it would be at a private school and that is where my kids would go as well. It is great that it works for some but there is a reason society went to public education and this was done well over 100 years before liberalism and indoctrination issues.

I wonder if you have ever studied the stated reasons our country went to public schooling- from the founders of it, people like John Dewey. Yeah. Not all “progress” is forward. And there’s all kinds of interesting stuff in the history of American education when you start digging- like the fact that the period around the revolutionary war saw some of the highest literacy rates ever- long before public education.

Jordan Goodwin

Happily married with 8 kids. Getting back into a little trapping with the boys after 8 years.

Micah 6:8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8058306
01/23/24 05:17 PM
01/23/24 05:17 PM
Lobelville, Tennessee
.44WCF Offline
trapper
.44WCF  Offline
trapper

Lobelville, Tennessee
Originally Posted by Dirt
Fortunately, thanks to public education, parents now have the skills to teach their own children.

I’m sorry, but that is an incredibly ignorant statement. Look up the history of literacy rates in America.

Jordan Goodwin

Happily married with 8 kids. Getting back into a little trapping with the boys after 8 years.

Micah 6:8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Turtledale] #8058324
01/23/24 05:28 PM
01/23/24 05:28 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Turtledale
I think there's a big difference in public school in a city with hundreds in a graduating class and public school in rural communities that have 52 in a class like mine or 12 in a class like the rival school down the road.
The Amish have there own public schools also around here, but kids are out of school by what we consider the 8th grade and then they go home to work and get married.
A huge percentage of people turn out just fine in public schools just as they do in homeschools. I know teachers in public schools that are unfit to teach and also homeschool parents that are unfit.
To me it's 6 of these and a half dozen of the other.

I'd be interested to know how many advocating for homeschooling were sent to public school or homeschooled themselves.

Exactly. All of my kids have gone to a small public school and are doing fine.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: .44WCF] #8058335
01/23/24 05:36 PM
01/23/24 05:36 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by .44WCF
Fortunately, thanks to public education, parents now have the skills to teach their own children.

I’m sorry, but that is an incredibly ignorant statement. Look up the history of literacy rates in America.

Downward trajectory for decades.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: .44WCF] #8058338
01/23/24 05:41 PM
01/23/24 05:41 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by .44WCF

You are saying public education made the U.S. less literate? confused

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8058351
01/23/24 06:03 PM
01/23/24 06:03 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Have taught for 27 years, Conservative, and even show Jeremiah Johnson in class. Lumping all public schools and teachers together equates to watching some poorly done trapping video on Youtube and saying that is all trappers. Home schooling works for some but not all. I know of one family that home schooled correctly. All of the rest have some degree of not being comfortable in public. If I taught in the city it would be at a private school and that is where my kids would go as well. It is great that it works for some but there is a reason society went to public education and this was done well over 100 years before liberalism and indoctrination issues.

Pubic school of 100 years ago was nothing like State or Federal schools of today.

my grandmother went to a one room school house passed last year at 95
teachers went to teachers college and a board , a school board of the parents of the kids in the township or even a portion of the township hired a teacher. the teacher was a town employee but mostly an employee of the half dozen or so families that made up the school board they interviewed and selected the teacher. if the teacher told them of a discipline issue they dealt with it.

what we have today is a muddled mass state and federal school and not one of intense local control

a concept that school is something owed to you and use more as a daycare than a learning institution provided by the parents , and idea of a mother state that provides.
what mother state provides mother state can indoctrinate , change and control through mandates funded or unfunded.

yes the small towns , villages and cities still have a more control but at the same time are chasing and relying on state and federal $.
I grew up in and lived in small towns were I know people on the school board.

most people today could not name one person on the school board , in big cities school board member became a paid employees who work for more. more funding and more pay and juke the stats , change the tests anything to make it look good to make the money. this happens a the expense of students.

I doubt most people today could pass the 8th grade final test from 100 years ago. If you've seen it, it's a doozy.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058422
01/23/24 07:19 PM
01/23/24 07:19 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
One of my best friends and his wife home schooled their 6 kids. I was best man at their wedding. When they first decided to do it, I felt obligated to share my concerns. I told them about my worries about the kids not being properly socialized. They enrolled their kids in sports and other activities. The kids went on field trips with other home schooled kids. The kids played with other kids in the neighborhood. The kids turned out better than fine. They are very successful, happy, well rounded adults now.

I was originally against home schooling. Now after meeting a fairly large number of home schooled people, over many years, I.support it. I.think there are definitely some people that should not home school their children. I think the majority of parents, who choose to home school their children, will have better results than our public school system.

Keith

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058493
01/23/24 08:25 PM
01/23/24 08:25 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn

The screen on my phone is so cracked ..I can hardly read anything...I'll have to read it again[/quote]

You from Kentucky?
Lol lol lol.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058498
01/23/24 08:28 PM
01/23/24 08:28 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
One of my best friends has home schooled 4 of his 7 kids.
Best mannered/ hardworking kid anyone could ask for.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: KeithC] #8058513
01/23/24 08:41 PM
01/23/24 08:41 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by KeithC
One of my best friends and his wife home schooled their 6 kids. I was best man at their wedding. When they first decided to do it, I felt obligated to share my concerns. I told them about my worries about the kids not being properly socialized. They enrolled their kids in sports and other activities. The kids went on field trips with other home schooled kids. The kids played with other kids in the neighborhood. The kids turned out better than fine. They are very successful, happy, well rounded adults now.

I was originally against home schooling. Now after meeting a fairly large number of home schooled people, over many years, I.support it. I.think there are definitely some people that should not home school their children. I think the majority of parents, who choose to home school their children, will have better results than our public school system.

Keith

When my wife started talking about doing I I was not for it. I worried about socialization and keep up with where they need to be at.

My wife is very smart and we started going to homeschool group activities with a few home school groups. You could say I was ambushed.

What I saw were the most well spoken well rounded kids with incredible vocabulary and variety of interest.

There was a group of teen boys playing basketball hard one day. A toddler went out on the court going after a ball I jumped up as fast as I could to try to get the kid before he got ran over and trampled I was to far away to get to him in time. But it didn't matter. Everyone of those boys stopped and the one with the ball handed it to the toddler and picked him up to the basket so he could try to make one.

In every public school I have been in that kid would have been knocked down and trampled.

I guess that was one of the several moments that changed my mind about homeschool.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058741
01/24/24 01:25 AM
01/24/24 01:25 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
We homeschooled all my kids. Not one regret. They all have jobs and don’t ask me for money or live in my house. I prefer to be around my kids more than most adults. No one can question their work ethic or integrity. Socially and professionally they are extremely successful. My family doesn’t fit the snooty narrative presented here.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Ltrman] #8058822
01/24/24 07:42 AM
01/24/24 07:42 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by Ltrman

That's a good one lol......how do you know they didn't go to private school or were homeschooled themselves? Parents are the ultimate educator.

Dirt,
Since you are posting on the internet, I'd ASSUME you'd realize that the entire world is available, at your fingertips.
Lot of resources out there.

And as the late,great Norm MacDonald once commented;
" What do.you need to teach the 3rd grade?
A FOURTH grade education?"

Last edited by DaveP; 01/24/24 09:17 AM.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058843
01/24/24 08:34 AM
01/24/24 08:34 AM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
My wife is a retired Public School (English) Teacher and a Principal. She will be the first one to recommend keeping your child OUT of the Public school. All of our kids went to Private Christian schools. They then went on to colleges. Christian schools do NOT go for the indoctrination of our kids and Public schools are a racist indoctrinated failure. My wife saw kids that never showed up for class and were failed get Parents to claim Racism and the School Superintendent change the grades especially when it came to getting statistics up for funding. I will also state that with the Illegals coming into Public Schools NONE of them have been Vaccinated and now Parents are being FORCED to Home school kids since some schools are being used to house Illegals. So much for paying taxes for education.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058847
01/24/24 08:37 AM
01/24/24 08:37 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Do you know what is the number one career of the parents of children in Christian schools?

Public school teachers. Number 1. That says a lot.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: BernieB.] #8058850
01/24/24 08:40 AM
01/24/24 08:40 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Do you know what is the number one career of the parents of children in Christian schools?

Seems a bit hypocritical on the teacher's part then, doesn't it? It's okay to teach other kids for the paycheck, but for their own kids to learn?

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: k snow] #8058853
01/24/24 08:47 AM
01/24/24 08:47 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by k snow

Seems a bit hypocritical on the teacher's part then, doesn't it? It's okay to teach other kids for the paycheck, but for their own kids to learn?

I do a lot I don't want to do fro my pay check and benefits, in the hopes my kids will not have to do what I do but have a better choice on what they would like to do.
I do what I thin is best for my kids.

Since they have a much better look and inside understanding of the public school system I would expect no less from them if they are not lock step in line with the indoctrination program.

My dad is a good example of stuck in the mind set schools are like they were when he was in school in the 60s and 70s but even he has slowly woken up to the fact they are not.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: k snow] #8058855
01/24/24 08:51 AM
01/24/24 08:51 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota

Hypocritical? No. Not at all.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: k snow] #8058864
01/24/24 09:01 AM
01/24/24 09:01 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO

My wife went back into teaching in the public school system for one reason - she felt like it was her mission field. When you have kids that are abandoned and led astray by their own parents (if they are around), and can't figure out what pronoun to use as they can't figure out what sex they are - we need help. This is in a small rural school. When kids are drawn to my wife as she speaks the truth and shows them absolute love by telling them how God created them and they have a divine purpose and hope - I see her being effective. When she is voted best teacher by the students and I watch them talk about her - I can't be selfish and only have her raise our children. My kids are pretty well grounded in Christ, not perfect, but we have chosen to be the light for others in our community and let them know Jesus loves them. Its definitely NOT about the paycheck for teaching for us. The Lord has blessed us with my job and it likely costs us more than my wife brings in with her teaching position.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: randall brannon] #8058904
01/24/24 10:21 AM
01/24/24 10:21 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by randall brannon
My wife is a retired Public School (English) Teacher and a Principal. She will be the first one to recommend keeping your child OUT of the Public school. All of our kids went to Private Christian schools..

I have to laugh at this opening statement, perhaps your wife was the problem then! In charge of a school, she recommends people not attend. That's so SAD it is not even funny.
Her school is good enough for others but not your own kids that's pathetic, as a leader of a school and children she should have been removed.

"Christian schools do NOT go for the indoctrination of our kids and Public schools are a racist indoctrinated failure. ]"
Christian schools do NOT go for indoctrination? Seriously, that statement is a bald-faced lie. Just because you agree with it does not mean it is not indoctrination. The one reason I disagree with the voucher system in WI is my money (tax dollars) should not be going to teach others corrupt religious views. Yes, I consider most religions corrupt, they are corrupted by man.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread