No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058110
01/23/24 01:53 PM
01/23/24 01:53 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Now all of a sudden the younger crowd is a self sufficient, well trained and reliable. That’s amazing who knew.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058112
01/23/24 01:55 PM
01/23/24 01:55 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
If home schoolers want a college degree. ....What is their process ? Without actually going to a .. Democrat run University ?

Nessie you gotta get out more. LOL There are more private colleges than there are public colleges. Hundreds of Christian colleges that provide high quality academics, much better than your kids will ever get at a public university.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Posco] #8058113
01/23/24 01:56 PM
01/23/24 01:56 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by Posco
This massive lurch to the left our country is experiencing was incubated in public education. Every conservative should applaud homeschooling.

Lurch to the left....I like that phrase!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8058121
01/23/24 02:01 PM
01/23/24 02:01 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by spjones
I’ve seen mixed results from homeschooling,,,, some real winners and some super losers

The key with the super winners was homeschooling in conjunction with travelling abroad

The losers seemed too have the common thread of not really socializing

Covid screwed over a whole generation of young people. Very few kids excelled at homeschooling during the lockdowns

This is an interesting concept. So a grandchild of mine just went on public school sponsored trip to to Europe. I took my homeschooled daughter to Europe when she was 14. She helped plan and book the whole trip. She helped learn and navigate and book the planes, trains, boats, hotels, subway systems and tourist attractions. Who do you think learned more life skills? The public school student who went on canned tour or the homeschooled student?

When our local school wanted to organize the europe trips,the kids had to do their own fundraising throughout the year.and they were involved in the itinerary and travel planning.
I know they learned a lot,cause by default the parents were involved also.
Of course the whole community supported the kids efforts 1oo%

Last edited by Boco; 01/23/24 02:02 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058126
01/23/24 02:10 PM
01/23/24 02:10 PM
Bush Alaska
victor#0 Offline
trapper
victor#0  Offline
trapper

Bush Alaska
Our kids have always been homeschooled and I'm thankful every day that they haven't gone to public school. The biggest thing I've noticed about homeschool families is that they are very family oriented and the kids tend to be more mature. There are many things that I enjoy about homeschooling but I really like the flexibility we have so that we can do things that public school kids can't. How many kids in public school can take an afternoon break to go fishing, hunting, check traps, or skin their catch? I've been around homeschool kids and I've been around public school kids and imo public school kids are weird..............................

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058138
01/23/24 02:23 PM
01/23/24 02:23 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
If home schoolers want a college degree. ....What is their process ? Without actually going to a .. Democrat run University ?

take the ACT your score will likely get you into most colleges if you got the core of math , reading comprehension , ect..

in WI home schooling is just private education, we qualified for all the same field trip discounts as any other school
my kids would go on a fields trip and see kids from all sorts of other schools wearing t-shirts with school color and logo
so my wife had some t-shirts made up with the logo River Day school made reservations using River Day School

had they graduated home school high school you write them out a diploma

any kid is going to need ACT or SAT for college entrance.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 01/23/24 02:27 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058147
01/23/24 02:32 PM
01/23/24 02:32 PM
Missouri
riverbank Offline
trapper
riverbank  Offline
trapper

Missouri
My wife and I were just today talking about starting our son in school. He turned 3 in December and currently goes to daycare at a facility that my cousin owns/runs. She does a good job, so no problems there. We are most likely going to move him to a private Catholic school within the next few months though. They also have a daycare, and he would roll right into pre-k. Cost is very similar to what we currently pay, but he gets more exposure to learning about Catholicism and a better understanding of it when he is around it every day. Small class size is great, no government curriculum is great, and the teachers don't have an agenda. I also feel this would be much safer than a public school. If the only option that I had would be sending him to a public school.......I'd quit my job and homeschool him. That's how little I think about public schools anymore. I don't need my son to be corrupted by some confused, gender neutral, left wing, pedophile's ideology. Not saying every public school has those, but I know that the private school doesn't. It may be costly, but my kid is worth it.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: victor#0] #8058149
01/23/24 02:34 PM
01/23/24 02:34 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by victor#0
Our kids have always been homeschooled and I'm thankful every day that they haven't gone to public school. The biggest thing I've noticed about homeschool families is that they are very family oriented and the kids tend to be more mature. There are many things that I enjoy about homeschooling but I really like the flexibility we have so that we can do things that public school kids can't. How many kids in public school can take an afternoon break to go fishing, hunting, check traps, or skin their catch? I've been around homeschool kids and I've been around public school kids and imo public school kids are weird..............................

X2 Homeschooled kids seem more mature.

Home schooled my step daughter until she was 13 and we moved into town. She meshed into the public school easily and had no 'socialization' issues.
Today she has a 100 ton master mariner's license and two kids of her own that work with her.

The two kids across the road from me are 14 & 16 years old. Boy & girl. Both home schooled from the outset.
The 14 y/o boy spent part of this past summer participating in classes and activities at the US Naval Academy. He plans to pursue that career. His 16 y/o sister is currently enrolled in online calculus classes through Princeton. She plans to pursue engineering. Both are well rounded social beings.

I have seen a lot of H/S kids around here and only one was a flop. But his mom was barely bright enough to tie her shoes so the kid was at a disadvantage from the start.

Mean As Nails
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058152
01/23/24 02:39 PM
01/23/24 02:39 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Have taught for 27 years, Conservative, and even show Jeremiah Johnson in class. Lumping all public schools and teachers together equates to watching some poorly done trapping video on Youtube and saying that is all trappers. Home schooling works for some but not all. I know of one family that home schooled correctly. All of the rest have some degree of not being comfortable in public. If I taught in the city it would be at a private school and that is where my kids would go as well. It is great that it works for some but there is a reason society went to public education and this was done well over 100 years before liberalism and indoctrination issues.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: TurkeyTime] #8058163
01/23/24 02:56 PM
01/23/24 02:56 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Have taught for 27 years, Conservative, and even show Jeremiah Johnson in class. Lumping all public schools and teachers together equates to watching some poorly done trapping video on Youtube and saying that is all trappers. Home schooling works for some but not all. I know of one family that home schooled correctly. All of the rest have some degree of not being comfortable in public. If I taught in the city it would be at a private school and that is where my kids would go as well. It is great that it works for some but there is a reason society went to public education and this was done well over 100 years before liberalism and indoctrination issues.

That reason is because people were told and conditioned to the idea that having someone else be responsible for the education of your children is the norm, when in fact, it's just a new fad. All a part of the breakup of traditional home life from the industrial revolution.

And that's not to knock you as a teacher. There's plenty of good public school teachers, just like there's plenty of awful homeschool teachers. I know a woman who homeschools, who can barely read. But the outsourcing of the teaching of children cam about as a result of the industrial revolution, when parents starting working outside of the home, and weren't around to teach children, plus the industrial "system" needed good little worker bees trained for them.

Last edited by loosegoose; 01/23/24 02:59 PM.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058168
01/23/24 03:04 PM
01/23/24 03:04 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Reason: literacy and education in general was lacking as people did not have the time, or the knowledge, to educate their kids. If one cannot read and write then the kids are doomed from the start. Good for those that do it well. Snow day and out on this topic.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058182
01/23/24 03:21 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Fortunately, thanks to public education, parents now have the skills to teach their own children.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058183
Bush Alaska
victor#0 Offline
trapper
victor#0  Offline
trapper

Bush Alaska
Studies have shown that homeschool kids test just as good if not better than public school kids. I've noticed teachers get butthurt over homeschooling because parents who don't have a degree in teaching are doing better at teaching their kids and they do it A LOT cheaper than public schools can.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Gary Benson] #8058187
01/23/24 03:24 PM
01/23/24 03:24 PM
Minnesota
Northernbeaver Offline
trapper
Northernbeaver  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I've never heard of a home-schooled child getting bullied and shooting up a school. You reap what you sow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Arrow_murders

The official Trapping Across the World Discord server.

https://discord.gg/AsdrzB5XgE
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058199
01/23/24 03:33 PM
01/23/24 03:33 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
A lotta freaks meth heads and junkies are likely turning out some great homeschooled kids.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: TurkeyTime] #8058205
01/23/24 03:43 PM
01/23/24 03:43 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime

Pubic school of 100 years ago was nothing like State or Federal schools of today.

my grandmother went to a one room school house passed last year at 95
teachers went to teachers college and a board , a school board of the parents of the kids in the township or even a portion of the township hired a teacher. the teacher was a town employee but mostly an employee of the half dozen or so families that made up the school board they interviewed and selected the teacher. if the teacher told them of a discipline issue they dealt with it.

what we have today is a muddled mass state and federal school and not one of intense local control

a concept that school is something owed to you and use more as a daycare than a learning institution provided by the parents , and idea of a mother state that provides.
what mother state provides mother state can indoctrinate , change and control through mandates funded or unfunded.

yes the small towns , villages and cities still have a more control but at the same time are chasing and relying on state and federal $.
I grew up in and lived in small towns were I know people on the school board.

most people today could not name one person on the school board , in big cities school board member became a paid employees who work for more. more funding and more pay and juke the stats , change the tests anything to make it look good to make the money. this happens a the expense of students.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 01/23/24 03:46 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8058265
01/23/24 04:38 PM
01/23/24 04:38 PM
Iowa
L
Ltrman Offline
trapper
Ltrman  Offline
trapper
L

Iowa
Fortunately, thanks to public education, parents now have the skills to teach their own children.

That's a good one lol......how do you know they didn't go to private school or were homeschooled themselves? Parents are the ultimate educator.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: snowy] #8058271
01/23/24 04:43 PM
01/23/24 04:43 PM
Iowa
L
Ltrman Offline
trapper
Ltrman  Offline
trapper
L

Iowa
Originally Posted by snowy
Nothing against HSing. The problem I have with it is are they getting taught what they need to be successful for a college grad. I do know of one family that have HSed. The thing that stands out with those late teen and young adults is that they have social issues, and it has been hard for them to relate to others in the work force and their private lives. I know some here will say you don't need to be a college grad etc.. True but the world needs people that continue to carry us along with professional college degrees.

Just the observation and what has happened in their life as a young adult so far. None have furthered their education and have min wage job and not a career that will take them into retirement years.

Also not saying this is a normal situation in how all HSed kids move forward. I'm just given an example of the one family I can comment on with observation.

Since we're giving anecdotal evidence...Tim Tebow seems to have turned out ok....even after playing at the University of Florida...not exactly a bastion of virtue.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058272
01/23/24 04:44 PM
01/23/24 04:44 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
it's all about freedom of choice right
different people learn better different ways
an ideology of one way to teach one way to learn is a broken one intended to turn out serfs for the state.

my child my choice!

or is choice bad when your not screaming about your choice to kill your unborn child?

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 01/23/24 04:45 PM.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Ltrman] #8058277
01/23/24 04:48 PM
01/23/24 04:48 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Ltrman

That's a good one lol......how do you know they didn't go to private school or were homeschooled themselves? Parents are the ultimate educator.

"
What percentage of American students go to public school?

90% or 50.8 million American students go to public school. This figure includes students attending elementary and secondary school."

Source Research .com

The odds are good. smile

Who is John Galt?
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread