No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: spjones] #8058020
01/23/24 11:59 AM
01/23/24 11:59 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by spjones
I don’t see the difference

The parents probably were not prepared ( or even capable ) and/ or motivated to deal with actually educating their children.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058021
01/23/24 12:02 PM
01/23/24 12:02 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
True

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: snowy] #8058033
01/23/24 12:11 PM
01/23/24 12:11 PM
alabama
BandB Online content
trapper
BandB  Online Content
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by snowy
Nothing against HSing. The problem I have with it is are they getting taught what they need to be successful for a college grad. I do know of one family that have HSed. The thing that stands out with those late teen and young adults is that they have social issues, and it has been hard for them to relate to others in the work force and their private lives. I know some here will say you don't need to be a college grad etc.. True but the world needs people that continue to carry us along with professional college degrees.

Just the observation and what has happened in their life as a young adult so far. None have furthered their education and have min wage job and not a career that will take them into retirement years.

Also not saying this is a normal situation in how all HSed kids move forward. I'm just given an example of the one family I can comment on with observation.

And how many public school students are doing the exact same thing? The vast majority of them are not prepared for college. That's why so many have to take remedial math and English their freshman year.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058035
01/23/24 12:19 PM
01/23/24 12:19 PM
PA
H
hickoryridge Offline
trapper
hickoryridge  Offline
trapper
H

PA
we're very fortunate that there's a small Christian-based private school in our area that we send our two kids to . . also fortunately the Mrs and I are on the same page that if there came a point where we could not financially swing that school then she would home-school them . . and to the argument that home school and private school kids are 'weird,' well if public/government school kids are what's considered 'normal' then I'll gladly take weird

and I also completely agree with the statement that if you send your kids to public/government-run schools in todays age then yes, you do co-parent with the government

Last edited by hickoryridge; 01/23/24 12:22 PM.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: DaveP] #8058039
01/23/24 12:24 PM
01/23/24 12:24 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by DaveP

Covid screwed over a whole generation of young people. Very few kids excelled at homeschooling during the lockdowns

Remote learning does not equal homeschooling, lol

Really ,? You cant be serious.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058041
01/23/24 12:25 PM
01/23/24 12:25 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
I think there's a big difference in public school in a city with hundreds in a graduating class and public school in rural communities that have 52 in a class like mine or 12 in a class like the rival school down the road.
The Amish have there own public schools also around here, but kids are out of school by what we consider the 8th grade and then they go home to work and get married.
A huge percentage of people turn out just fine in public schools just as they do in homeschools. I know teachers in public schools that are unfit to teach and also homeschool parents that are unfit.
To me it's 6 of these and a half dozen of the other.

I'd be interested to know how many advocating for homeschooling were sent to public school or homeschooled themselves.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: spjones] #8058057
01/23/24 12:43 PM
01/23/24 12:43 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I’ve seen mixed results from homeschooling,,,, some real winners and some super losers

The key with the super winners was homeschooling in conjunction with travelling abroad

The losers seemed too have the common thread of not really socializing

Covid screwed over a whole generation of young people. Very few kids excelled at homeschooling during the lockdowns

This is an interesting concept. So a grandchild of mine just went on public school sponsored trip to to Europe. I took my homeschooled daughter to Europe when she was 14. She helped plan and book the whole trip. She helped learn and navigate and book the planes, trains, boats, hotels, subway systems and tourist attractions. Who do you think learned more life skills? The public school student who went on canned tour or the homeschooled student?

Last edited by Dirt; 01/23/24 12:44 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058058
01/23/24 12:44 PM
01/23/24 12:44 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
This massive lurch to the left our country is experiencing was incubated in public education. Every conservative should applaud homeschooling.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058061
01/23/24 12:48 PM
01/23/24 12:48 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

Where to begin. What's important to you in life is the first question? $$ seems to be the original posters hang up or one of them. So I can start there.

It's all lifestyle choices. Live within you means and don't chase the newest or best fad to get your money. My wife stays home because she wants to educate our kids. Not pawn them off on someone else and put them in a place with others in charge that push an agenda and may have a confused morale compass at best.
Also why she didn't bother finishing here teaching degree with double majors. She saw how the system was and was heading and wanted no part of it.

So I don't drive a new truck but a 97 wife has a 19 van. I don't have new fancy phones just old models that get the job done. I work a lot of ot. I don't have to because I can easily get buy on 32hr but I chose to so I can retire at 57. I make 28.26 an hour so obviously I'm not rich or a high roller. But some how I I'm 43 and only have about 20k total Debt it's less but I don't know the exact #. I also have more than that in the bank and can pay it all off if I chose. But half of that is 1.8% interest and I am making 5% on money in the bank so that debt is making money and I still have a years emergency fund available. I max out retirement savings farm paid cash for it. Have around 750k + in assets. I guess I'm doing ok for a kid raised by a single mom. So you don't have to be rich or make a ton of money to homeschool.. But knowing how to save and make good choices.

Homeschool is expensive. I spend thousands on books a year. It also takes a lot of time and dedication. I'm blessed my wife has the desire and ability to do it. I promise I would be in prison the first te a teacher told my kids they could choose their sex or anything like that woke bs crap.

Your right they don't get the socialization like public school. To me that is a good thing. Instead of getting sex, drugs and that crap pushed on them they have other things they talk about with their friends like live stock needsz fund raising and event planning with 4H and youth group.

Are my kids weird ABSOLUTELY compared to the kids in public school. You see mine are very successful hunters, trap,shoot, process and clean game, milk animals, tap maple trees and understand the natural world and their place in it . They are very good at everything they try. My youngest put a new motor in our jd gator sxs in 4.5 hrs when he was 9 years old. They think for themselves and can figure things out on their own but know where to go to get info and how to decide if a source is a good one and if the info is slanted.

My kids are involved in sports currently wrestling and doing very well. My wife and other home school mom friends get together and teach each other kids in subject the mom's are not as strong in or sometimes it just to change it up and give the kids a different approach from a different teacher. Sometime when things are explained different they click better .

They can get a full day off school done in about 3 hours without all the wasted time in public schools

It's like anything you get out of it what you put into it . What you prioritize shows clearly in your actions. I work a lot so my family can live the lifestyle we chose and so I will be able to retire early comfortablely. I can do it on a single income at $28.26 because of how we live and what we value. You don't have to be rich or live poor.

So if you want a conversation on many topics or to learn about anything outdoors especially have a conversation with my 12 and 13 year old. You will get more out of time talking with them than any 20 collage students combined. And one thing you will notice is if my kids are not sure or don't know something they will say so and not act like they know..

I hope this was not to rambling I have had I 4 16hr shifts in a roll and going back for more at 7. Going to take a 4 hr or so nap now.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058062
01/23/24 12:50 PM
01/23/24 12:50 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Originally Posted by DaveP

Remote learning does not equal homeschooling, lol

Really ,? You cant be serious.

So you have comprehension issues as well?

Most learning during covid lockdowns was remote, but still directed from.same school system.child was in before lockdowns.

Ie, just because you're being schooled at home, it's still by your local.school system, and that's not what homeschooling commonly refers to.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058064
01/23/24 12:52 PM
01/23/24 12:52 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
LOL, same folks that scream about childcare costs, while chasing that green.
Sorry, but we didn't farm out our child raising.

Again, priorities....

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: snowy] #8058068
01/23/24 01:00 PM
01/23/24 01:00 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by snowy
Nothing against HSing. The problem I have with it is are they getting taught what they need to be successful for a college grad. I do know of one family that have HSed. The thing that stands out with those late teen and young adults is that they have social issues, and it has been hard for them to relate to others in the work force and their private lives. I know some here will say you don't need to be a college grad etc.. True but the world needs people that continue to carry us along with professional college degrees.

Just the observation and what has happened in their life as a young adult so far. None have furthered their education and have min wage job and not a career that will take them into retirement years.

Also not saying this is a normal situation in how all HSed kids move forward. I'm just given an example of the one family I can comment on with observation.

Funny my daughter has a 4.0 cumulative in here collage classes she has taken. She excels at everything she does. Just picking a lane is tough when she had so many choices available

Honestly college is over sold and very often under delivers. I work with a guy that has a master, girl working the gas station has a batchlers, as did the counter work at McDonald's earlier this week. The common opinion was it a wast of time and now 2 have debt that's holding them back.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058072
01/23/24 01:03 PM
01/23/24 01:03 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
If home schoolers want a college degree. ....What is their process ? Without actually going to a .. Democrat run University ?

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058074
01/23/24 01:05 PM
01/23/24 01:05 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Oh...today is the NH primary ...just voted .

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058078
01/23/24 01:11 PM
01/23/24 01:11 PM
Ontario
R
RustyShacklefrd Offline
trapper
RustyShacklefrd  Offline
trapper
R

Ontario
We homeschool our kids. Pretty funny how indoctrinated some people are.
You wanna rely on the goverment to raise your kid that's your buisness.
But some of us are capable of thinking for ourselves.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058079
01/23/24 01:13 PM
01/23/24 01:13 PM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
My wife and I both public schooled, both have M.S. degrees now. We put raising our kids first and homeschooled them the first 12 -14 years of their life. We are strongly leaning on neither child going to college.

The John Gatto book is excellent.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058084
01/23/24 01:18 PM
01/23/24 01:18 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
See a lot of comments on the kids being socially compromised

I only know 2 families that have truly normal kids, and home schooling is big were I live in WA

It is all about "what else you give e them"

We did it ,for a few years,,,, but my kids were always skipping class with the principal

Ended up with two civil superintendents and a electrical engineer

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058095
01/23/24 01:33 PM
01/23/24 01:33 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
Dirt, not knowing the girls and being a random dude on the internet,,,

It’s been my experience that the girl who home schooled and travelled. Has the advantage, big time!

Haveing said that ,,, public/private students/military kids that travel/student exchange programs etc,,,,,,,, do better than students that don’t travel

The key is travelling

Seeing other parts of the world, and learning

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058096
01/23/24 01:34 PM
01/23/24 01:34 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I was public school K-12 then tech school 2 years then finished up a bachelors degree in night school

my wife was Catholic school K-12 then traditional 4 year college.

2 of my 3 saw Catholic school then public then homeschool then public again
the youngest never saw Catholic school.

of the people in our home school group seems every kid I have seen become an adult is doing well , yes even the "un-schoolers" .
who other than their parents cares more about setting them up for success.

one of the unstructured home schoolers un-schooler both parents were authors and ran small businesses, both had worked in corporate marketing and were tired of it when they moved rural and started a family to get away from their fortune 500 9-5 in the city.
that kid had a market garden and was learning business while his peers were in the 8th grade.
his math homework was filing his taxes , and monitoring his income and expenditures.
how many high school students even leave ready to do personal taxes let along small business taxes.

self supporting , non violent , healthy people , who first do no harm to society , could we be so lucky to have all the public school grads come out that way.
there are a LOT of dysfunctional bums who graduate high school and eventually work in a some job they seldom do not high , they drink away their checks on friday and stumble in to work Monday begging lunch off co-workers. worse the ones who are a little smarter figure out how to get on the dole and live on your tax dollars.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058098
01/23/24 01:39 PM
01/23/24 01:39 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
with what I have said above , my youngest works with 2 kids from the same family at a local restaurant they home school but also belong to some cult internet religion and basically would seem the parents use this to control them and have a thumb on everything they do. but let them work and they can work when most kids are in school. so even the weird cult online religion home schooling family is at least producing kids who can hold a job.
even if they seem off in other ways.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread