No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057975
01/23/24 11:07 AM
01/23/24 11:07 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
It's ok, personally I have never understood why people would send their children to failing public schools, so they could load up on material wealth. I thought once I became a parent my priority was raising and getting those children ready for when they left the nest. After that, I would have plenty of time to start filling my pockets full of wealth again.

Last edited by Dirt; 01/23/24 11:10 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057980
01/23/24 11:15 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Bernie hit on it.

Public schools are full.of weird kids too.
Many of these kids that don't fit in PS are pulled and then homeschooled BECAUSE they couldn't fit in.
They'd be weird either way.
Sort of skews the data.

Full disclosure, all our kids were homeschooled, some until middle or high school, some until.college.

LOL, we always used to.hear, " Wow, I'd never have guessed your kids are homeschooled, they seem so normal!"

Free thinkers, mature, and successful.
Well, waiting to.see how the last one turns out, lol

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8057981
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Dirt
It's ok, personally I have never understood why people would send their children to failing public schools, so they could load up on material wealth. I thought once I became a parent my priority was raising and getting those children ready for when they left the nest. After that, I would have plenty of time to start filling my pockets full of wealth again.

All well and good...as long as you had enough flow to pay the mortgage..heat ..lights.. food clothing..Dr Bills.. car repairs..house repairs..and the list goes on and on.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057984
01/23/24 11:19 AM
01/23/24 11:19 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Nothing against HSing. The problem I have with it is are they getting taught what they need to be successful for a college grad. I do know of one family that have HSed. The thing that stands out with those late teen and young adults is that they have social issues, and it has been hard for them to relate to others in the work force and their private lives. I know some here will say you don't need to be a college grad etc.. True but the world needs people that continue to carry us along with professional college degrees.

Just the observation and what has happened in their life as a young adult so far. None have furthered their education and have min wage job and not a career that will take them into retirement years.

Also not saying this is a normal situation in how all HSed kids move forward. I'm just given an example of the one family I can comment on with observation.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Seek] #8057986
01/23/24 11:21 AM
01/23/24 11:21 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Seek
Public schools are an absolute joke. Nothing but a captive audience for a bunch of activist teachers to indoctrinate kids. Government school is a disaster.

No one fought the homeschooling movement more than the NEA. A failing public school system demanding your kids adhere to their curriculum and oversight.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057988
01/23/24 11:23 AM
01/23/24 11:23 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
homeschooling varies as much as public school

think how hard metro Baltimore or other similar districts fail students

good school or bad I can basically tell you who will do decent and who won't by Christmas eve of Kindergarten.

a very simple litmus test and it has zero to do with the kids aptitude or intelligence.

it has everything to do with the parents level of involvement and attitude.

Parental expectation and involvement. if you are expected to be a B student or higher , you are held to that and your parents give you all the help and tools to reach that , you will seldom see a kid fall short of that on a regular basis. someone is going to get a C some times but it won't be the every semester.

we home schooled for 7 years
for my oldest that was 2nd through 8th grade
for the next it was 1st thru 7th and my youngest went to school in 2nd grade they wanted to and they put up such a fight to homeschooling it was the right thing for them even if I don't feel they got the education their siblings did in the end.

it is a financial burden , it takes one parent with a strong income and some sacrifices.

you are still paying school taxes and you are buying books and supplies that can get expensive , good text books aren't cheap.

you need to spend some time socializing , 4-H , home school groups , church.
if your using home schooling as a way to hide away from people , they will be stunted in their social development
on the flip side where 5th graders are already engaging in sex isn't healthy either. They aren't stunted they are damaged and at a young age it has bad effects but maybe more hidden under the surface of emotional development.

letting them be kids for a few more years can give them better tools to deal with social pressures while they build reasoning skills on other more age appropriate explorations like small engines , trapping , hunting , cooking , farming ,animal husbandry.

of my 3 kids no one graduated with less than a 3.5gpa from high school.
2 are in college
the oldest is on track to graduate high honors from the UW in December with an art education degree a teaching certificate and a art history minor.
Middle child tried college during covid , then worked 2 years in a factory and is now back as a full time student to be a machinist and CNC tech.
my youngest who spent the most time in public school is working and figuring out what they want to do in the future , they completed a CNA program in high school but decided that wasn't the work they wanted to do.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057989
01/23/24 11:24 AM
01/23/24 11:24 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Who on here were publicly schooled or home schooled.
I went to public school all the way thru,then travelled and worked abroad to expand my life experience.
Growing up I spent all my spare time playing hockey and hunting trapping fishing canoeing swimming water skiing camping and learning the bush.I also worked as a kid to earn money-paper route,work on farms loading hay bales,cut lawns shovel snow,pick and sell dew worms,anything to earn a bit of spending money,which I spent on knives guns fishing stuff,etc.
I consider it all part of my education.I had some really great teachers in public school,the ones in high school I butted heads with fairly regularly always challenging their "views".

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057992
01/23/24 11:30 AM
01/23/24 11:30 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Let me add to the list. Cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, big screen tv, play station, bass boat, atv, eating out, camper, vacations, etc

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057997
01/23/24 11:35 AM
01/23/24 11:35 AM
Pennsylvania
K
Keystonekiller Offline
trapper
Keystonekiller  Offline
trapper
K

Pennsylvania
Following

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057998
01/23/24 11:36 AM
01/23/24 11:36 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I had some of the greatest teachers that one could have in public school. My 1 thru 6 were absolutely role models for me as I entered the upper grades.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Posco] #8058004
01/23/24 11:43 AM
01/23/24 11:43 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Seek
Public schools are an absolute joke. Nothing but a captive audience for a bunch of activist teachers to indoctrinate kids. Government school is a disaster.

No one fought the homeschooling movement more than the NEA. A failing public school system demanding your kids adhere to their curriculum and oversight.

I thought the NEA was a big proponent of low student teacher ratios? Can't get much lower than 1 to 1.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058006
01/23/24 11:46 AM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
I’ve seen mixed results from homeschooling,,,, some real winners and some super losers

The key with the super winners was homeschooling in conjunction with travelling abroad

The losers seemed too have the common thread of not really socializing

Covid screwed over a whole generation of young people. Very few kids excelled at homeschooling during the lockdowns

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Boco] #8058007
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by Boco
Who on here were publicly schooled or home schooled.
I went to public school all the way thru,then travelled and worked abroad to expand my life experience.
Growing up I spent all my spare time playing hockey and hunting trapping fishing canoeing swimming water skiing camping and learning the bush.I also worked as a kid to earn money-paper route,work on farms loading hay bales,cut lawns shovel snow,pick and sell dew worms,anything to earn a bit of spending money,which I spent on knives guns fishing stuff,etc.
I consider it all part of my education.I had some really great teachers in public school,the ones in high school I butted heads with fairly regularly always challenging their "views".

I was public schooled K-12 and then went to a tech school, my wife was home schooled K-12 and then graduated magna cum laude from a prestigious private university.

I'm a weirdo, she's a social butterfly that runs a mother's non-profit organization and a youth non-profit organization. You'd never know she was homeschooled if you met her.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058009
01/23/24 11:47 AM
01/23/24 11:47 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I was publicly schooled for all but 1/2 of one glorious year. I despised school. I had nothing in common with my schoolmates. I was the only girl that hunted, trapped or fished and so of course they all thought I was weird for that. Then, in the 8th grade, I fell and broke my leg in several places. The school allowed my mom to homeschool me during the recovery which ended up being the rest of the school year. It wasn't really homeschooling in the sense they do it today. The curriculum was the one the school used and they sent my mother the required readings and such, I was still technically considered a member of the public school.

I loved it! I'd wake up and work on schooling right off and usually be done before noon, giving me the rest of the afternoon to myself, which would have been even more glorious if I could have gotten around better. When I was in school, the bus didn't bring me home until 4:30pm. I remember certain things about that time like reading one of the assigned novels with my mother. The book was Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and I remember sitting in the springtime sunshine on the porch and she'd read a chapter, then I'd read a chapter and we'd discuss the story afterwards. It was great.

I went back to school in 9th grade but after my hiatus I despised it even more. In tenth grade, I dropped out. I waited the year NYS law required I wait before taking my GED, then enrolled in community college. I was on the last semester of my Sophmore year when my high school class showed up for the first semester of their Freshman year. Oddly, perhaps, but I loved college every bit as much as I hated high school. I've always loved learning, I just hated the toxic environment of public grade/high school.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: spjones] #8058013
01/23/24 11:54 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by spjones

Covid screwed over a whole generation of young people. Very few kids excelled at homeschooling during the lockdowns

Remote learning does not equal homeschooling, lol

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8058014
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Dirt
I thought the NEA was a big proponent of low student teacher ratios? Can't get much lower than 1 to 1.

That sounds like laziness and more opportunities to sponge off the taxpayer.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058015
01/23/24 11:55 AM
01/23/24 11:55 AM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
I don’t see the difference

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058016
01/23/24 11:57 AM
01/23/24 11:57 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
A quick Google will show you 90% of public school teachers vote Democrat. That reality is reflected in our country today.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058017
01/23/24 11:58 AM
01/23/24 11:58 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by Nessmuck

All well and good...as long as you had enough flow to pay the mortgage..heat ..lights.. food clothing..Dr Bills.. car repairs..house repairs..and the list goes on and on.

Huh?
We made it work, but we were determined to make it work, while well below this area's average income.

Priorities.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058018
01/23/24 11:59 AM
01/23/24 11:59 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD