No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Home Schooling ..... #8057908
01/23/24 09:35 AM
01/23/24 09:35 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
I nevah heard of homeschooling growing up..

It wasn't until my wife and I signed up my youngest son into the 4 H program.

That i found out about home schooling.

Both my sons went to.public and Catholic schools..

A lot of 4H kids were home schooled here in NH.

That's takes one person out of the work force and puts that burden on the other half...I assume ?
Unless Dad or Mom make enough flow....and has a teaching degree to properly educate their kids.

I have no idea how they do it ...or WHy.

But I do know....most of them are socially compromised...and that's not healthy either.

But my hats off to Yinz that make it work. I wouldnt even give it a second thought.

Last edited by Nessmuck; 01/25/24 06:34 PM.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057909
01/23/24 09:39 AM
01/23/24 09:39 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by Nessmuck

That found out about home schooling.

Both my sons went to.publuc and Catholic schools..

That's takes one person out of the work force and puts that burden on the other half...I assume ?
Unless Dad or Mom make enough flow....and has a teaching degree to properly educate their kids.

But I do know....most of them are socially compromised...and that's not healthy either.

But my hats off to Yinz that make it work. I wouldnt even give it a second thought.

Glad you ain't teaching spelling or Grammer, lol

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057911
01/23/24 09:43 AM
01/23/24 09:43 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
You dont have to sacrifice one parent's job to homeschool. You can if you decide to. Maybe the younger kids.

You dont have to be "college educated" even to homeschool your kids. There are a lot of resources and programs out there than makes it extremely easy for homeschoolers and the time needed is nearly the amount of time they would need at a traditional school.

I know some people do the "pod system" where theres a group of parents that get together to homeschool their kids together so the burden isnt quite as great and theres more support.

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; 01/23/24 09:46 AM.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057914
01/23/24 09:50 AM
01/23/24 09:50 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
For the vast majority of human existence, parents schooled their own children. Public schooling is the experiment and the new fad, not homeschooling.

As far as homeschoolers being weird.....it's true that some are. But plenty of public schoolers are socially awkward nerds too.

My own kids are homeschooled, but don't really have any homeschool friends. All their friends are public schoolers, and they have a ton of friends. So many, in fact, that my wife is in the process of opening up a youth rec center in out town for all these kids.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057916
01/23/24 09:56 AM
01/23/24 09:56 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Stereotypical public indoctrination statements coming from someone who never heard of home schooling. eek

Is it the governments responsibility to raise your children? For my wife and I we chose NO. It was our responsibility. I know, I know, our poor uneducated, unsocialized weirdo offspring would never be able to adapt to public corruption and an illegal government establishment known as public schools.

After much prayer and consideration - my wife went back into the public corruption system as our local principal needed her to teach science. So, my kids reluctantly agreed to go to see friends. After receiving several notices that our kids have missed so much school they would have to attend summer school if they missed more - they still lead their classes in academics. We still feel our children are OUR responsibility and I still pull them out often for such things like week long trapping trips or to look for a first archery harvest. We miss school and don't think a thing about it. There is much more to learn outside of a public classroom where they cant figure out if a boy is a boy.

For me and my house - we will serve the Lord. For 14 years, yes I was the sole provider and the Lord blessed us by more than doubling our income. See, we put Him first - and He added unto us the desires of our heart. Men, it is our responsibility to provide and lead - not our spouses.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: DaveP] #8057918
01/23/24 09:58 AM
01/23/24 09:58 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by DaveP

That found out about home schooling.

Both my sons went to.publuc and Catholic schools..

Glad you ain't teaching spelling or Grammer, lol

The screen on my phone is so cracked ..I can hardly read anything...I'll have to read it again

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057920
01/23/24 09:59 AM
01/23/24 09:59 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Not sure where this came from but I'll share my experiences. I have coached for 43 years, we ran a live-in group home for 8 juvenile boys for 7 years, taught public school for 30 years, and ran a summer rec program for 4 years when I first started teaching.
My daughter sends her daughter to a nondenominational private school, and my son and daughter-in-law home-school their daughters.
Today it is easier to home-school as many can work from home, my son is IT and his wife is in graphic design. Private school is expensive. My wife and I support them in their decisions due to the indoctrination in the Minnesota public school system. crt, lgbtoqp...., (I will not capitalize these) liberal agenda, and yes I have seen the in-service training that requires teachers to teach this stuff.
Our local school here is very rural and conservative, but even here creep is obvious, glad I am out of the classroom. With all that said there are different issues with homeschooling, Even our granddaughters who are very intelligent are probably 2 years behind socially, can this be made up for sure? However, their homeschooling is quite limited on social interaction and I do fear that they will not be prepared for some of the evil and issues in society that we cannot avoid. It has its place and can be quite successful and it can be quite a failure, it depends on the parents and how they are doing it.
My wife and I both in public education have seen kids very socially inept, and some doing very well, We have seen some poorly educated and some very advanced. It varies and it depends on the parent like anything else. There are also a lot of great home school curriculum's available today that were not in the past.
My job was to teach students to think, not think like me, not indoctrinate, etc. I get it today with the state of public education, the first thing to do is eradicate the federal dept. of education. Education is a state right. That's my take.

Last edited by Bear Tracker; 01/23/24 10:05 AM. Reason: addition
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057922
01/23/24 10:00 AM
01/23/24 10:00 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
This myth that homeschooled kids are somehow socially inept or disconnected is just plain silly. At least in a general sense. Kids who are homeschooled and appear to have social issues would have social issues if they were in the public school. Probably even more so, since kids can be so brutal.

There are so many things available to homeschool kids: sports, field trips, get togethers of every sort.

True there are some families that have no business homeschooling their kids, but they are the exception not the rule. In general homeschool kids do better on standardized testing and have better study habits. They are way ahead of public school kids in the subjects they are good at even if they fall a little behind in the subjects that do not interest them and in my opinion, that's a good thing not a bad thing. Homeschool kids also do better in college because they are self- motivated and rely on themselves to do the work rather than a teacher trying to motivate them.

So much of school is wasted each day, and public schools are no more than leftist indoctrination these days. Teenagers can barely read and write, but they know how to put a condom on a banana.

The quality of education and individual attention among homeschoolers is so much better than public schools these days it is not even a difficult decision.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057931
01/23/24 10:10 AM
01/23/24 10:10 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Just look what the public schools are pumping out today and then the colleges after that but you don’t see the need? I’d take a naive child that knows right from wrong over a woke moron that thinks he could have children any day.

Can a person put a price on having a child that they can’t stand dealing with because they are so far out there.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: BernieB.] #8057936
01/23/24 10:12 AM
01/23/24 10:12 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by BernieB.
This myth that homeschooled kids are somehow socially inept or disconnected is just plain silly.

Yeah, they generally aren't the ones that grow up believing they're cats a d demanding litter boxes placed in work bathrooms.

The lack of social interaction thing comes from either the news stories of the kids licked in the basement or never allowed outside the house. Most homeschoolers go to church and/or involve the kids in other activities so they aren't isolated from others. Where allowed, they play on local public school sports teams.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057945
01/23/24 10:26 AM
01/23/24 10:26 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
I am sure home schooling has changed ovah the last 25 years .

Do Yinz that home school just use books like the old days..or ..

Do use use modern technology...like a computer ?

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057946
01/23/24 10:27 AM
01/23/24 10:27 AM
MN
S
Seek Offline
trapper
Seek  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Public schools are an absolute joke. Nothing but a captive audience for a bunch of activist teachers to indoctrinate kids. Government school is a disaster.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057947
01/23/24 10:29 AM
01/23/24 10:29 AM
PA
C
cmj Offline
trapper
cmj  Offline
trapper
C

PA
CCA is a big thing around here. Its not home school, but the kids stay at home and learn over the computer. Still have to take tests. They have the camera on them and can see the teacher and other kids if they want. My son is 11 and does it himself. Doing good. He can work ahead on some stuff so if he wants to hunt an eve he gets his stuff done early. They have tons of field trips that they can sign up for if they want. Yep some kids are weird that do cca and home school along with the weird ones that go to the public babysitter school. His school is heavily armed, has 2 bullies(mom and dad) , no teachers with beards wearing high heels and no students identiying as cats. Yeah they do at public schools so remember that when people say home school kids are weird. Its more of an issue with parenting than the kids being weird.
My work is seasonal and have most of the winter off. My wife drives special needs kids to public school part time.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057952
01/23/24 10:34 AM
01/23/24 10:34 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I've never heard of a home-schooled child getting bullied and shooting up a school. You reap what you sow.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: loosegoose] #8057956
01/23/24 10:37 AM
01/23/24 10:37 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by loosegoose
For the vast majority of human existence, parents schooled their own children. Public schooling is the experiment and the new fad, not homeschooling.

As far as homeschoolers being weird.....it's true that some are. But plenty of public schoolers are socially awkward nerds too.

My own kids are homeschooled, but don't really have any homeschool friends. All their friends are public schoolers, and they have a ton of friends. So many, in fact, that my wife is in the process of opening up a youth rec center in out town for all these kids.

Thank you for the words of wisdom!

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057958
01/23/24 10:43 AM
01/23/24 10:43 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE

For us it's a mix of books, both textbooks and "regular" books, computer stuff, and life experience. Life experience is the biggest teacher. Good example....a kid can sit in school and learn about money and it's value and how to count change, etc. But playing with fake money in a classroom doesn't teach kids the value of money. My 7 year old regularly rides her little bike down to the candy store 3 blocks away by herself with money she's earned and buys all kids of candy. My 11 year old rides her bike all the time to the dollar store to buy whatever junk she feels like getting. Both struggled with money until they started actually using it, and learned about a whole lot more than just money by riding all over by themselves and using money.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Gary Benson] #8057959
01/23/24 10:46 AM
01/23/24 10:46 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline OP
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline OP
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I've never heard of a home-schooled child getting bullied and shooting up a school. You reap what you sow.

You can't protect them forevah.... eventually they will have to go out into the big bad world...and get some street smarts.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057961
01/23/24 10:48 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook

If you do a bit of research you will find an eighth curriculum from 1776 was much more demanding than what is expected of highschool seniors today.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057962
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I have a good friend whose wife has home-schooled their two sons since they were old enough to start school. Both are now well-educated, well-adjusted teenagers. She does a great job educating those two boys.

My friend is the breadwinner but his wife used to supplement their income with a hair-dressing parlor they had in their home. Since my friend moved up in his company that is no longer necessary.

They home-schooled their children for the same reasons most home-schoolers I know did; they didn't want the libtard agenda that's been pushed in public schools for decades shoved down their sons' throats.

I would bet the the education those two boys have so far received is far superior than what they could have obtained in public school. And it is absent the multiple-gender, gender-neutral pronoun, man-made global warming, Tommy-has-two-daddies and all the other ridiculous libtard bullcrap currently pushed in public schools.

Eh...wot?

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8057972
01/23/24 11:02 AM
01/23/24 11:02 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

You can't protect them forevah.... eventually they will have to go out into the big bad world...and get some street smarts.

Street smarts? You mean like how to protect themselves?

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread