ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
What do you think? #8052404
01/17/24 12:17 PM
01/17/24 12:17 PM
Georgia
F
Fishionary Offline OP
trapper
Fishionary  Offline OP
trapper
F

Georgia
Trying to help a friend out in North Georgia. He just purchased a log cabin and has critters living in the roof (no attic) and hears them only at night. I have some traps set up for squirrels but haven’t had any success and don’t see signs of squirrels in the gutters or at the peaks. He’s saying that this shown up on the logs in the last month and is confident that it’s not woodpeckers. Any thoughts? My initial thought was coons but I don’t know what the chewing/damage would be from. Thank you for any help/recommendations!

72720031367__A97C3375-A3CD-44EF-853C-42FFDA55C360.jpeg
Re: What do you think? [Re: Fishionary] #8052540
01/17/24 02:24 PM
01/17/24 02:24 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
Woodpeckers. Trust the evidence, not the homeowner, unless he actually witnessed the damage. Most likely hearing mice in the ceiling. Log homes are notorious for mice, bats and flying squirrels. If no holes big enough for coons, grays or reds, look closely for flyer damage (half dollar size opening).

Homeowners assume one thing, but it could be multiple things.
Ex: I had a customer that heard noise in the wall, and also smelled skunk during the night. So obviously, there was a skunk in the wall. NOT.

Last edited by Brian Mongeau; 01/17/24 02:28 PM.
Re: What do you think? [Re: Fishionary] #8052660
01/17/24 04:15 PM
01/17/24 04:15 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
X2
Woodpeckers

Bet they have a carpenter bee problem , hence the woodpecker damage.

NRA benefactor member
Re: What do you think? [Re: Fishionary] #8052767
01/17/24 06:36 PM
01/17/24 06:36 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Noises in roof are flying squirrels, bats or white footed mice.

I would walk as log structures are a total PIA that are almost impossible to fully exclude on the first try. They always have gaps at all of the joins and usually have metal roofs with rib and vent openings and stupid dormers with returns that are a nightmare to seal.

As for the photo, that is woodpecker. Redheaded most likely. That house is going to need an annual spring treatment of permethrin on all exposed wood surfaces just prior to carpenter bee emergence. If treated during active infection each bore hole will need dusting with something like deltamethrin then plugged.

Bats will need and inside and outside seal.

Rodents just an outside. Proceed with them as you would bats. Seal with excluder or trap at exits.

Again walk unless you're willing to put in the time and labor and charge accordingly.

[Linked Image]
Re: What do you think? [Re: Cragar] #8052796
01/17/24 07:00 PM
01/17/24 07:00 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by Cragar
X2
Woodpeckers

Bet they have a carpenter bee problem , hence the woodpecker damage.

Or worse, Termites, Carpenter Ants, or some other boring insect. I don't see a tube tunnel going in that would indicate bee's. Maybe just a Peckerwood speculating.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: What do you think? [Re: Fishionary] #8052888
01/17/24 08:08 PM
01/17/24 08:08 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Not sure if it is a true log home or log siding. I can't really tell from the photo. Most likely as previously stated, it has been carpenter bee infestation and then the woodpeckers came for a snack.

If it is new woodpecker damage, there should be some wood chips or shreds of wood under that damage area lying on the ground or deck area. If there are no bullet holes on the interior walls in that immediate area, then those are not bullet exit points.

Look under the drip edge of the log or log siding and see if you can notice any perfectly round holes going up from the bottom of the log face. If so, are there any yellow stains around or below that area.

If not a carpenter bee infestation, it may be another wood destroying insect ( beetle ) that the birds found as a food source as already stated.

Re: What do you think? [Re: Fishionary] #8053010
01/17/24 09:58 PM
01/17/24 09:58 PM
Georgia
F
Fishionary Offline OP
trapper
Fishionary  Offline OP
trapper
F

Georgia
Thank you guys for your help. My first thought was woodpecker damage for the outside as well. I’m going to assume the home owner just hasn’t been around when they e been on the home. I appreciate all of your help and wisdom! Will keep you guys updated as we move forward.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread