Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Very Frustrated #8045050
01/09/24 11:25 PM
01/09/24 11:25 PM
MO
C
Crappiekiller Offline OP
trapper
Crappiekiller  Offline OP
trapper
C

MO
Back on December 29, we had a skiff of snow. I only had 4 active sites with traps. 12 traps total. I checked them that morning and had a gyp coyote in one in the creek bottom by my house. Went to brother in laws house about 20 miles away located on the same creek. Picked up a second coyote in a cable restraint. Had a large catch circle with no catch in a set on the other side of creek. This set is visible from a gravel road, there was blood in the catch circle and coyote hair on trap. Figured glad they left my trap and pulled everything from this location,

Fast forward to today. Same scenario. Small skiff of snow. Got home from work around 4:00, went to check traps located within a mile of house, 3 locations 9 traps. Pulled up on first location to find a catch circle, earth anchor cable but no trap or quick link. This farm is my wife’s uncle and I have caught 3 here prior to include the one I mentioned at the beginning of this story.

No blood of tracks visible as snow was covering. I stopped by uncles house hoping he had dispatched. He said did you get your coyote? He had driven past it around 9:00AM and said it was a full pad catch (NO BS X-Treme). He said he saw a couple of hounds (neighbor and I used to run hounds together for coyotes and he had both of his loose since Sunday) that found the trapped coyote and were baying on it for almost 3 hours that he was outside and listening to them.

Long story short, I borrowed my neighbor’s tracker, but couldn’t get within a half mile of the dogs to see if they were still baying. The area has a high voltage transmission line that screws with the old tracker. Just super frustrated as we had discussed what to do if uncle came across a catch. Dispatch and call. Now just the uncertainty of not know if someone stole the catch and trap or if the coyote got loose and has a trap still attached.

Spent 2 hours after dark with it snowing with 30+ mph winds looking to try and verify.

CK
Re: Very Frustrated [Re: Crappiekiller] #8045099
01/10/24 12:26 AM
01/10/24 12:26 AM
West Central MN
20scout Online content
trapper
20scout  Online Content
trapper

West Central MN
I feel your pain. Years ago when I trapped fox, I was in high school and didn't have a lot of money so every critter was valuable to me. Fox were $65-$100, raccoon $65 so I had one farm that had lots of sign but I lost several critters to something unknown. Empty traps with a catch circle, fur on the jaws or sometimes a foot but the trap was always there. I just found another set like that and knew it was a fox. Farmer was combining in a field next to me so I stopped and talked with him. He played dumb but I seen the fresh blood on the floor of his combine so promptly pulled all my sets. I figured he made close to $600 off of this dumb kid. Never went back either.

Hope you figure it out.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91