Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trail Camera on set - Refusals [Re: DAK] #8080616
02/18/24 03:53 PM
02/18/24 03:53 PM
INDIANA
B
Beachtree Offline
trapper
Beachtree  Offline
trapper
B

INDIANA
I'm running 6 cameras all the same, some coyotes spook some don't. I believe the resident coyotes are not bothered . I think the ones traveling thru are the ones that get spooked, but have no way to prove it. I have never had a bobcat spook I get bobcat pictures every other night.

Re: Trail Camera on set - Refusals [Re: Yes sir] #8084127
02/23/24 02:55 AM
02/23/24 02:55 AM
Va
L
Little chief79 Offline
trapper
Little chief79  Offline
trapper
L

Va
The camera has no sound in the dark when it comes on either it's a wild game innovation WR16 blackout! But form what I have seen the coyotes do they see the blackout! And are gone! So they are seeing some kind of light!

Re: Trail Camera on set - Refusals [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #8087328
02/27/24 11:03 AM
02/27/24 11:03 AM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
Originally Posted by cat_trapper_nv
When the camera interfears with the animal I think it has more to do with sound than the red light. I have daytime animals stare at the camera the same as at night. That click the camera engages probably is what gets them. More confident animals don't seem to worry about it, but when a coyote is already on edge because of the new hole or rock in an area, and new odors, the click probably puts them over the edge.

This is exactly how I feel.

Re: Trail Camera on set - Refusals [Re: DAK] #8087429
02/27/24 01:05 PM
02/27/24 01:05 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Only camara i used was snow issues i had was over using lure in milder temps another time it was new boots i bought after seeing circles of coyote tracks around my sets i found i couldn't stand the smell myself I check sets from the truck seat / binoculars but when you see sets worked 6 weeks after luring probably overloaded the senses

olden tyred
Re: Trail Camera on set - Refusals [Re: Little chief79] #8087540
02/27/24 04:25 PM
02/27/24 04:25 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by Little chief79
The camera has no sound in the dark when it comes on either it's a wild game innovation WR16 blackout! But form what I have seen the coyotes do they see the blackout! And are gone! So they are seeing some kind of light!

Some cameras are noisy and pretty obvious to us but others I don’t necessarily hear anything. However I’m not convinced that those cameras aren’t putting off noise but just in range or decibel level which doesn’t register to humans

Every digital camera requires infrared light to work in the dark. But there are lots of versions of IR and the manufacturers generally just call it black out etc. Comes in Various wavelengths and intensity which makes difference in how much they are detected. It’s not super uncommon to see a coyote stare at camera from the light. You’ll See same stare at night if turn on digital scope

Re: Trail Camera on set - Refusals [Re: DAK] #8087577
02/27/24 05:39 PM
02/27/24 05:39 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Are y’all using video mode or just pics? I used a Browning that would take vids, but it had 4 lights that glowed red. I’ve seen coyotes notice it and not stick around, then I’ve seen coyotes notice it and come up to the camera to check it out. I never used it on a set, just scrapes and rub trees when deer hunting.

All my cams now are Spartans and pics only. There is no glow or sound on these cameras that I can see or hear. I think if a critter looks at it, it’s because it’s out of place. It wasn’t there last time through but is now. I can honestly say I’ve never had anything spook that I can tell. Have coyotes and cats walked right past a set like it didn’t exist? Yep, it happens. Has the same or different coyote/cat come back the next night and make a beeline for the set and get caught? Yep again, lol. Now if I ever get a critter investigate and look at the camera and bolt with a Spartan is the day I’ll quit using them. So far in 5-6 years it hasn’t happened.

I don’t have a lot of areas to see tracks, so cameras are my “eyes” so to speak. They’ve actually caught me a few critters by telling me exactly where they’re stepping vs my sets. The biggest issues I see with cameras are people going to mess with sets when one passes by. I was guilty as heck, but I’ve learned to just leave them be and let it ride. Sets get pulled on pull day, maybe lure added after several inches of rain, but normally they ride it out from day one until time to move on.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 02/27/24 05:41 PM.
Re: Trail Camera on set - Refusals [Re: Wanna Be] #8087638
02/27/24 07:17 PM
02/27/24 07:17 PM
Va
L
Little chief79 Offline
trapper
Little chief79  Offline
trapper
L

Va
I always have my camera on video! They notice it every time! I've never put it on pictures because I wanted to watch the animals work the set! The WGinvations camera I have says blackout but if animal seems to see it when it comes on! But I can't hear when it comes on! So I guess they are seeing the blackout lights lightup ! Lol! So idk I haven't got a good video of a critter working a set yet! So I guess I'll back up and punt and try something else

Re: Trail Camera on set - Refusals [Re: DAK] #8087658
02/27/24 07:43 PM
02/27/24 07:43 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I put my cam on 0 seconds and can pretty much see them working the set. I don’t want to spook them, just want to see if I’m in a good area or not. I’ll generally put up cams a week before I even set to get an inventory of what might be there. Some spots are just known producers. Some cameras are put on sets off the beaten path to save me some time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91