No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Suzuki outboard help please! [Re: beaverpeeler] #8032300
12/27/23 11:46 AM
12/27/23 11:46 AM
OR
W
wws Offline
trapper
wws  Offline
trapper
W

OR
Carl, call me if you need to barrow my boat.

Western Wildlife Services

Re: Suzuki outboard help please! [Re: gcs] #8032333
12/27/23 12:41 PM
12/27/23 12:41 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by gcs
I always run a remote Racor gas/water removal filter, to guard against fuel issues. Even if your tank and hose is newish, the internal lines may be failing from Ethanol, check all the internal fuel filters too.

I've seen "mechanics" that have installed new water pump impellers backwards, causing poor water flow, the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) is an ok indicator but not foolproof.

The oil cap is a screw on with an O ring, they don't come off by themselves, If the cap is needed "on", then the service guy forgot to screw it back on.

It's a small engine, I'd take it back and have them explain exactly what they did, and you explain your not happy and losing money.... good luck.

You're right, it's a screw on yellow cap. But I saw it on after the service job. Later it came off...somehow.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Suzuki outboard help please! [Re: beaverpeeler] #8032356
12/27/23 01:18 PM
12/27/23 01:18 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
While it was gradually losing power, was it still running rather smoothly, or was it missing? If it was running smoothly, then I'd guess it was losing compression. Have you tried a doing a compression test? That would be my first go-to if all the other systems seem to be working; fuel, air, spark, etc..

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Suzuki outboard help please! [Re: beaverpeeler] #8032513
12/27/23 06:15 PM
12/27/23 06:15 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
It was smooth waggler....slowly losing compression.

SO the update:

Checking craigslist I found a Merc 20hp last night that I planned to go up and buy, but first I wanted the marine service center to check out my motor. Went over there first thing this morning at opening time and saw the sign that they're closed until the 2nd. At this point I was in contact with wws on here who graciously offered me use of his boat and motor, But I decided to first go try out the motor with the cap screwed back on and see if it would run.

And EUREKA! It did run, and at full compression! So I'm guessing the cap off lead to the oil system not functioning correctly. It does have a more hollow metallic sound at idle speed though now. I don't know if that is going to be an issue in the future but for now I'm OK.

Thanks for all on here with your valuable advice and best wishes. I truly appreciate it. And special thanks to wws who offered me his boat. Who does that anymore?

Re: Suzuki outboard help please! [Re: beaverpeeler] #8032568
12/27/23 07:30 PM
12/27/23 07:30 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Online mad
trapper
Northof50  Online Mad
trapper
N

Manitoba
How much oil does it use since you have used it for some hours ?
I would still have a 2 hp back-up

Re: Suzuki outboard help please! [Re: beaverpeeler] #8032678
12/27/23 09:16 PM
12/27/23 09:16 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Doesn't use oil. Well, after this latest incident I'll be checking frequently.

A 2hp wouldn't work on the waters I traverse. Plus, with a small Jon boat that 115 lb 15 horse is all I can carry.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread