No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: yotetrapper30] #8032345
12/27/23 01:01 PM
12/27/23 01:01 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Here in KS a kid can take the course entirely on line. Even in this little town we have a library with a public computer. Maybe some of you could push your state association to proposing it for your state also. some states recognize a certificate from any state. I believe you don't have to be a resident to take the course. It is also free. Can be done at the kids own pace. Its even got someone reading the whole thing for those who don't read well. Its a good course and won't hurt anybody.

100% fine with that. But no kid should have to travel 100+ miles at the age of 8 to be able to trap.

Same here, can be taken online if preferred. I'm glad the grandson wanted to go in person because they had great furbearer displays and great trapping instructors.

Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8032353
12/27/23 01:16 PM
12/27/23 01:16 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I've participated in five of PA's required Hunter Trapper Education courses so far; my own when I was eleven years old, three with my daughters and one with my granddaughter. There are two more grandkids I hope to be taking in the near future.

I'm glad we all did them in-person. I was sorry to see the live firing go away a number of years ago. I also took the required cable restraint classes several times.

Eh...wot?

Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: Lugnut] #8032440
12/27/23 04:20 PM
12/27/23 04:20 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I've participated in five of PA's required Hunter Trapper Education courses so far; my own when I was eleven years old, three with my daughters and one with my granddaughter. There are two more grandkids I hope to be taking in the near future.

I'm glad we all did them in-person. I was sorry to see the live firing go away a number of years ago. I also took the required cable restraint classes several times.

Have you ever thought of becoming an instructor? I was one for 30 years when I lived in PA. For trapping, at least in Idaho, I don’t think on line instruction would work. Too much hands on instruction would be missed plus ethos can’t be emphasized enough on line. The main purpose of Trapper Ed. Is teaching ethics.

Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8032520
12/27/23 06:22 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I know the actual main goal of trappers education is safety and ethics but we got spoiled up in NE Kansas where I grew up. The course was taught by Lee Hinkle, Lyle Gibson, and Mike Clements. They loved helping us snot nosed kids to catch a little fur and mentored many of us for our first several seasons.

Lee Stienmeyer- any of those names ring a bell?

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8032522
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8032587
12/27/23 07:50 PM
12/27/23 07:50 PM
Lake Mille Lacs , MN
2poor Offline
trapper
2poor  Offline
trapper

Lake Mille Lacs , MN
From memory Youth below age 14 don’t need Trappers Education in MN to participate. I believe they have to complete Mandatory Trappers Ed to purchase a Youth Trapping License at age 14.
A good portion can be completed online but they still have to complete a Field Day. The MTA has demos at the Convention that will meet the requirements of a Field Day. Each of the 8 Districts in MN is also asked to Host at least one Field Day so opportunity is provided. Some Districts hold several .
Actually any compenet Trapper can legally administer the Field Training , but most are Certified Instructors who took a short course.

It’s not perfect ! The new trapper has to take some initiative to complete the course. Individuals are also required to take firearms safety to purchase a Hunting license in MN. All 3 of my Grandkids some how managed to meet the requirements despite the small inconvenience.

It’s a lazy man who can’t find his wife a second job !
Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8032719
12/27/23 09:38 PM
12/27/23 09:38 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
If I voiced what I thought of trapper Ed is get kicked off this site.

2poor they need a license at 13.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: cat daddy] #8032921
12/28/23 01:59 AM
12/28/23 01:59 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by cat daddy
When I joined this site 12 years ago, it was all about trapping and trapping related activities. It has devolved into a whine and complain board for retirees abd unemployable individuals of low intelligence. I will check out at this point and wish you all well.

What? You're gonna throw a grenade, then run off?

My memory of this forum goes back to January 2001. Trapper Talk has never been exclusively about trapping, either by practice or design. There has always been an occasional complaint about that too. You've posted nothing original.

Jim

Last edited by James; 12/28/23 02:00 AM.

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8032976
12/28/23 07:46 AM
12/28/23 07:46 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Originally Posted by Lugnut

Have you ever thought of becoming an instructor? I was one for 30 years when I lived in PA. For trapping, at least in Idaho, I don’t think on line instruction would work. Too much hands on instruction would be missed plus ethos can’t be emphasized enough on line. The main purpose of Trapper Ed. Is teaching ethics.

No, I've never considered it. I do have a lot of respect for the folks that donate their time to teaching the classes though. I agree that the in-person experience is far better than taking an online course.

In PA the Hunter Trapper Education courses are geared towards the hunting side of things. Trapping is glossed over pretty quickly. My last course I asked an instructor if the safety zone ruling pertained to trapping as well as hunting. He didn't know nor did any of the other instructors or any of the students.

I informed them that the 150 yard safety zone did apply to trapping.

The Cable Restraint Certification courses are much more thorough with lots of hands-on practice and lots of study on the many regulations. I took my first one with my daughter at John Epler's (Epler's Furs) place in Orwigsburg the year they were legalized for use in PA.

Eh...wot?

Re: Do you personally know any of these trappers [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8033079
12/28/23 10:54 AM
12/28/23 10:54 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Well, Jim you may not fit in with all those Conservatives in the lower 48 that love government mandates. Good job Grandpa, smokin out all the Jimmy Carter voters. smile

Who is John Galt?
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread