Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Sewing boarded beaver #7895807
06/29/23 03:41 PM
06/29/23 03:41 PM
WI
W
Wptourist Offline OP
trapper
Wptourist  Offline OP
trapper
W

WI
I checked the archives and realize I should have sewn a couple holes I made when fleshing before boarding
It is the third one I have done

My question is can I sew the holes after the beaver hide is dried, or should I have it tanned and then sew

It is the biggest my two sons have trapped and was hoping to hoop it and have my wife paint or draw on couple pictures on the non hair side

Appreciate any help

Re: Sewing boarded beaver [Re: Wptourist] #7896236
06/30/23 09:21 AM
06/30/23 09:21 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
You cannot sew a hole in a dried pelt.
You can cut out the holes and repair the pelt after tanning,but the repair will be bigger.
best to sew a hole before drying the pelt.Although the stiches will come out in the tanning process,it will be a smaller repair than if the pelt is dried with the holes left in it.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Sewing boarded beaver [Re: Boco] #7896239
06/30/23 09:29 AM
06/30/23 09:29 AM
WI
W
Wptourist Offline OP
trapper
Wptourist  Offline OP
trapper
W

WI
Thanks Boco, appreciate your response.