No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761850
01/03/23 04:07 PM
01/03/23 04:07 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Unions never shipped any jobs overseas-the greedy company owners did that cause they dont give two shites about the american worker.
Same creeps that love your open southern border.

Last edited by Boco; 01/03/23 04:08 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7761853
01/03/23 04:10 PM
01/03/23 04:10 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
There has been union growth among public sector employees. Guess unions work good in monopolies that have the power to steal.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Wanna Be] #7761902
01/03/23 05:19 PM
01/03/23 05:19 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
[quote=Catch22]
Dang, we need to switch unions, lol. Ours isn’t like that as far as voting. And there are certain offenses that you can be fired on the spot. Yeah you can appeal and only two that I know of where the employee was given a second chance.
Come to think of it, I’ve been in nonunion jobs that were the same way.

The voting part is more about union protocols and specific to the politics of that union rather than a collective bargaining agreement at least from what I've experienced. Employers answer the grievance complaint; its up to the union to decided what to do with that response. How they decide---- that is their ball game. From the employer side, its typically assumed the union is going to grieve a termination all the way to arbitration and that unless an agreement is reached prior the case will be heard by a third party. I'd would say that Catch22 synopsis mirrors what I normally saw as in most instances the rank and file were in favor of supporting a continuation of the hearing process to an arbitrator even if it was on their dime vs International when it was seen as supporting their fellow worker. However, I can think of a number of exceptions where fellow employees think someone sucks really bad and they have no interest in working with them anymore and as such dont want the case to be arbitrated so the vote or union politics would stop short of arbitrating.

And employers can always end run the progressive process as you noted in certain circumstances. But that primarily happens in egregious situations or it can be part of a strategy to be leveraged during the grievance process as a last chance agreement where its perhaps not worth the effort to arbitrate especially when you know theres a great chance that the employee will fail the last chance. I'll take a last chance any day over the flip of coin from a third party as I know most employees fail the last chance and when they do the union is in quite a bind. But often there are times when an employer will simply skip steps on principal just to arbitrate---especially if the end game is to cause either the local or international to spend money or to drive a point home

Its not too uncommon for people in general to think it super hard to terminate unionized employee. What it really amounts to is a bunch of work that is a pain in the butt that drags on for months and years for direct supervisors. And rather than doing the work it can be easier to push it off to the point that its not uncommon for poorly run organizations to end up with such a culture. However, there isnt any crappy employee that cant be fired in the end eventhough the end is usually on a different time line than preferred. One of my favorite quotes from an arbitrater to an employee was " well they've fired you 6 times prior and you've been reinstated each time. You have told me how horrible the employer is and you are a good employee that they are picking on a 7th time. However, it appears to me that where there is smoke there must be fire. No employer is going to put all this work into getting rid of someone unless they are the worst employee in their entire organization"

Just a side note--- most large non-union or work team based organization have some type of hearing process to give employees a chance to present a case if they believe they've been unfairly treated.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: ] #7762283
01/04/23 03:15 AM
01/04/23 03:15 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
I agree Mark and also must say just because your union doesn't mean you vote D . The smart people vote policy no matter and the sheep do as they are told... Jon

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Boco] #7762285
01/04/23 03:54 AM
01/04/23 03:54 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Boco
Unions never shipped any jobs overseas-the greedy company owners did that cause they dont give two shites about the american worker.
Same creeps that love your open southern border.

wrong. Have you ever worked at a union shop? I have been in several unions and worked at even more places that were union but I wasn't required to be in the union (engineering work).

I worked for a company that had a product line that had to be moved. Either to Mexico or Milwaukee.
Choice was going to be on a financial basis. The company came to the union and told them that for the jobs/work to come to Milwaukee somehow a certain amount of money had to be saved from the budget.
Company proposed that all union members give up a nickel for a year and that would cover it.
What did the union propose? I mean they could of looked at all sorts of production processes and suggested improvements or they could even could of suggested on combining departments and eliminating management.
Nope, they did none of that. They squabbled amongst themselves and fixated on the nickel cut. Some of them argued endlessly about how it wasn't fair for the lower paid members to have to get the same cut as the higher paid members and on and on they went.
In the end they never came back with anything and the company moved the work to Mexico.

You think union leaders car about American workers?

I've got another example of how that ain't true.
I attended a union meeting once where the hall had to get a new copier. At the time Xerox was American made and seeing how the leadership was always squawking about support American Manufacturing buying from Xerox was the right thing to do.
But then the leadership showed their true colors. Seems that Xerox was more expensive than the Cannon copier, guess which one they bought in the end? If you said of course they supported the American company you'd be wrong again.
They sold out American workers for less than a grand.

Greedy company owners are no different than greed union leaders I guess. Not to mention greedy union members who also bought foreign made products over American made stuff.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: BigBlackBirds] #7762287
01/04/23 04:00 AM
01/04/23 04:00 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
[quote=Catch22]
Dang, we need to switch unions, lol. Ours isn’t like that as far as voting. And there are certain offenses that you can be fired on the spot. Yeah you can appeal and only two that I know of where the employee was given a second chance.
Come to think of it, I’ve been in nonunion jobs that were the same way.

The voting part is more about union protocols and specific to the politics of that union rather than a collective bargaining agreement at least from what I've experienced. Employers answer the grievance complaint; its up to the union to decided what to do with that response. How they decide---- that is their ball game. From the employer side, its typically assumed the union is going to grieve a termination all the way to arbitration and that unless an agreement is reached prior the case will be heard by a third party. I'd would say that Catch22 synopsis mirrors what I normally saw as in most instances the rank and file were in favor of supporting a continuation of the hearing process to an arbitrator even if it was on their dime vs International when it was seen as supporting their fellow worker. However, I can think of a number of exceptions where fellow employees think someone sucks really bad and they have no interest in working with them anymore and as such dont want the case to be arbitrated so the vote or union politics would stop short of arbitrating.

And employers can always end run the progressive process as you noted in certain circumstances. But that primarily happens in egregious situations or it can be part of a strategy to be leveraged during the grievance process as a last chance agreement where its perhaps not worth the effort to arbitrate especially when you know theres a great chance that the employee will fail the last chance. I'll take a last chance any day over the flip of coin from a third party as I know most employees fail the last chance and when they do the union is in quite a bind. But often there are times when an employer will simply skip steps on principal just to arbitrate---especially if the end game is to cause either the local or international to spend money or to drive a point home

Its not too uncommon for people in general to think it super hard to terminate unionized employee. What it really amounts to is a bunch of work that is a pain in the butt that drags on for months and years for direct supervisors. And rather than doing the work it can be easier to push it off to the point that its not uncommon for poorly run organizations to end up with such a culture. However, there isnt any crappy employee that cant be fired in the end eventhough the end is usually on a different time line than preferred. One of my favorite quotes from an arbitrater to an employee was " well they've fired you 6 times prior and you've been reinstated each time. You have told me how horrible the employer is and you are a good employee that they are picking on a 7th time. However, it appears to me that where there is smoke there must be fire. No employer is going to put all this work into getting rid of someone unless they are the worst employee in their entire organization"

Just a side note--- most large non-union or work team based organization have some type of hearing process to give employees a chance to present a case if they believe they've been unfairly treated.

I've seen unions selectively decide to back members based on factors other than the cause for termination. They picked and choose who they would support. If leadership liked you they backed you up, if they didn't like you then they would let the company fire you.
I've seen it used by union leadership to eliminate those members that might challenge the current leadership for control or that was openly critical of them?

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762312
01/04/23 06:30 AM
01/04/23 06:30 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by danny clifton
https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-announce-36-billion-relief-100000375.html

I get more than a little angry at the bowing down by politicians and the fact that hard working people are forced to pay for pensions they are ineligible for, because lazy union communist sympathizers, are fawned on by the democrats they give so much dues money too.

Danny, we could saunter on down to the company store and see if we owe our soul to this type of "vicious cycle?"
Of course we do. Inflation is tied to money supply and the printing presses behind the curtain are churning day and night, night and day....
It's not hard to be a politician in the 21st century.
Spend like a drunken sailer.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762345
01/04/23 07:31 AM
01/04/23 07:31 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Simple economics too much cash chasing to few goods

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762380
01/04/23 08:24 AM
01/04/23 08:24 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Can’t believe there is anything on this horse left to beat. lol

“They are what they are”, both sides. My first experience with “strike duty” was eye opening. When I got there, it was for 2 weeks. I had nothing else to do so the work is what I was all about when I got there and a couple hours in I was told to “chill out”. I was amazed at the things we were “allowed” to do in our shop vs what the union shop guys were “not allowed” to do. There were plenty of folks on the picket line trying to be annoying as they could but there were plenty of guys that left it when they saw their truck leave the yard. These guys met the management team running their routes and provided helpful info about best times for delivery as well as traffic avoidance. A month in and the company reached an agreement, they gave them everything they were asking for. lol

Bottom line, the whole thing was to cause grief for a little bit.

If the company could do that, then perhaps they should have been doing it all along.

-Goofy-
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762392
01/04/23 08:50 AM
01/04/23 08:50 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Careful HT. This is your longest post since FDR was in office or thereabouts. laugh whistle wink

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762401
01/04/23 09:06 AM
01/04/23 09:06 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Yup, gotta hand cramp typing it too.

-Goofy-
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762423
01/04/23 09:59 AM
01/04/23 09:59 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Its time to end the thought that, "You have to have a UNION"!

I paid my dues for 40 years in the UAW, and the people who ran the local, went off and got a National job in Detroit and a double pension.

There is no accountability when your in a union. All are "EQUAL", even if they didn't do the work.

Last edited by seniortrap; 01/04/23 09:59 AM.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762643
01/04/23 03:56 PM
01/04/23 03:56 PM
Southern WV
A
Anglinscreek Offline
trapper
Anglinscreek  Offline
trapper
A

Southern WV
Proud union laborer here.
Realize it isn't perfect but I'm living better now than I have previously.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: Anglinscreek] #7762701
01/04/23 05:33 PM
01/04/23 05:33 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Anglinscreek
Proud union laborer here.
Realize it isn't perfect but I'm living better now than I have previously.

My check for last week is a touch over $ 3,300. Take home of 2,200 +. Yes I have made more than that in a day trimming and removing trees working for myself. But other than that and Ironworking that was also Union I have never mad checks like that working non union. And that's not counting benefits. Yes that was a 76hr check but I can do that any week I choose up to 80 hrs. I'm at 56 for the week now and may work 72 or 76 again. Have not decided yet.
I can wright my check up to 80hr each week or I can work my schedule of 36hrs, 48, 36,48 12 hr shifts workingng 14 days out of 28 and getting two 3 day, off one 1 day of and 1 7 day of stretch each month. Doing that I will make around 65k or I can chose to work all the overtime and make 140k. Tha choice is mine.

I have never seen a non union job that pays like that.

Edit. I forgot I get 4 weeks vacation also. So if I want I can only work 5 months and make 65 k add in working 4 hr ove for a 16 hr shift and a few of my days off make in the 90s.

This is the only reason I work 127 miles away from home and so many 16hr days. Since I'm away from home I may as well work as much as I can.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/04/23 05:44 PM.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762709
01/04/23 05:41 PM
01/04/23 05:41 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
yep. where the rubber meets the road. Bidens crack head baby boy made millions. So I guess good for him.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762713
01/04/23 05:44 PM
01/04/23 05:44 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Legally I cant work that many hours. 60 hours is 2100 gross. I am not Union either

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762718
01/04/23 05:50 PM
01/04/23 05:50 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Legally I cant work that many hours. 60 hours is 2100 gross. I am not Union either

You a truck driver? So you max out at 109k a year if you work 60 every week with how many days off? I edited to add some things above. Do you get a pension and 6% match on your 401? My insurance cost $51 a week for the family. That's a 80 20 plan with 1500 max out of pocket per person and 3k max per family. I also get free dental and vision.

Did I mention the option of taking 7 days off a month in a roll and my 4 weeks vacation on top of that. I normally add vacation to my week off each month during hunting season. I also truly like my job playing on the heave equipment.

There is much more to a union job than just livable pay.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/04/23 05:57 PM.
Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762720
01/04/23 05:55 PM
01/04/23 05:55 PM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Six figures, 9 weeks paid vacation, all medical,dental,vision, we negotiated for all plus pension and a seven figure 401k not perfect but more than I could have ever imagined.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: jalstat] #7762726
01/04/23 06:02 PM
01/04/23 06:02 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by jalstat
Six figures, 9 weeks paid vacation, all medical,dental,vision, we negotiated for all plus pension and a seven figure 401k not perfect but more than I could have ever imagined.

Sure sound good to me. No wonder so many don't like unions. They are jealous and are blinded and can't see how they have benefited everyone union and non by raising the pay and benefits scale due to completion for workers. And that not even geting into worker safety.

Are they perfect far from it and they are not for everyone and that fine yet they want to bring everyone down.

Re: Time to end labor unions [Re: danny clifton] #7762741
01/04/23 06:21 PM
01/04/23 06:21 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I do not get paid time off. I do take off though kinda when I want. I am hauling on construction jobs so when I start I stay till the dirt work is done. No pension except what I put aside. I was a teamster for 3 years but what a joke. tax dollars are paying the pension for those who stayed. This is the first winter in a long time I havnt taken off for trapping season. Cant trap or drive right now. My back is out again. Just came home from the DR. Told me to take it easy for a couple months and I should heal back up.

[Linked Image]

This is what happened last time I pushed to hard. Bout 20 years ago. Nerve in my left leg gets pinched off. I had a double on coons, shot one with my right hand c o c k e d the pistol and transferred it to my left hand , shifted my weight to my left leg and it collapsed, I fell on that pistol and shot myself. Bullet went through my belt and lodged in my butt cheek. I thought it was in my guts. Was pretty scary till I got xrayed and seen I wasn't hurt. I got no plans to do that again.

Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread