Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Fully tainted/rotted bobcat meat #7326215
08/10/21 02:09 AM
08/10/21 02:09 AM
Southern MI
A
Aaron.F Offline OP
trapper
Aaron.F  Offline OP
trapper
A

Southern MI
I have about 1 quart of fully rotted/tainted bobcat meat that I am wanting to try out. I have worked with slightly tainted bobcat meat with a Nelson style bait solution with good results. I am thinking of using this to make a lure. Any advice from anyone that has used a similar product is greatly appreciated.

60% of the time it works every time.
Lifetime NTA Member
Re: Fully tainted/rotted bobcat meat [Re: Aaron.F] #7327702
08/11/21 06:13 PM
08/11/21 06:13 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
My personal experience is cat doesn't have as much attraction as some other food bases but well tainted it does have a rather sharp powerful odor that will add some reach to a formulation . And that is how I use it. Maybe go in the direction of a food/LDC lure. I do like a little synthetic musks such as Canton or White musk to smooth out the heavy tainted stuff. After that maybe 2 or 3 other top shelf ingredient that work well in louder type formulation. Testing of individual ingredients to find their attractiveness and Testing the formulation as you build it will help you come up with something above par.

Re: Fully tainted/rotted bobcat meat [Re: Aaron.F] #7328607
08/12/21 06:53 PM
08/12/21 06:53 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
What is "fully rotted/tainted"?

I have it on real good authority that a certain Montana trapper/lure maker allows 2 years minimum to break down bobcat meat. That little tip is not for sale within 500 miles of . . . well, you know the rest.

Re: Fully tainted/rotted bobcat meat [Re: Yes sir] #7329041
08/13/21 08:45 AM
08/13/21 08:45 AM
Southern MI
A
Aaron.F Offline OP
trapper
Aaron.F  Offline OP
trapper
A

Southern MI
Originally Posted by Lazarus
What is "fully rotted/tainted"?

I have it on real good authority that a certain Montana trapper/lure maker allows 2 years minimum to break down bobcat meat. That little tip is not for sale within 500 miles of . . . well, you know the rest.

Lazarus, you bring up a good point. My assumption is that is fully rotted, as it does not seem to be letting off any gases anymore, although that may not mean it has completed its cycle.

You better not be getting too close to Broadus, if you are going to be giving those secrets out…😉

Originally Posted by Yes sir
My personal experience is cat doesn't have as much attraction as some other food bases but well tainted it does have a rather sharp powerful odor that will add some reach to a formulation . And that is how I use it. Maybe go in the direction of a food/LDC lure. I do like a little synthetic musks such as Canton or White musk to smooth out the heavy tainted stuff. After that maybe 2 or 3 other top shelf ingredient that work well in louder type formulation. Testing of individual ingredients to find their attractiveness and Testing the formulation as you build it will help you come up with something above par.

I have been doing a little bit of research and I see that Russ Carman has a few recipes out there utilizing rotted bobcat meat. I am leaning towards pulling off two separate 4 ounce containers and try 2 different options. One I will add some cat glands, with a few extras and try and keep it catty. The other I will add some some skunk, with maybe one of the synthetic musks and try for a general call type lure.

I am planning on following up on this thread to show my progress and results, good or bad.

Thank you

60% of the time it works every time.
Lifetime NTA Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91