No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: Scott__aR] #8032614
12/27/23 08:23 PM
12/27/23 08:23 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Originally Posted by Law Dog

Does WI still have a delay for NR trappers?

Looks like they start Dec 1st

Yes and no. Non-resident trappers have the same start days as resident trappers for all species except raccoon; where non-residents have a 14 day delay. It's an old statute which given the current prices of raccoon doesn't make much sense but isn't going to change.

Start dates vary by location (zones) in the state and by species. Start dates open as early as mid October.

Dec 1st and beyond in WI vs SD is often way different we get bad weather but it comes and goes. Yesterday I could not leave the house tomorrow I’ll be cat trapping. That’s a common occurrence lots of trapping opportunities further into winter often allowing more days/months in the field. I’ve trapped a lot of states and that’s often not doable. Some states if you’re not local you’re not trapping.

Last edited by Law Dog; 12/27/23 08:23 PM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: Law Dog] #8032620
12/27/23 08:26 PM
12/27/23 08:26 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
The point I try to make often is every state has its own rules and restrictions be it equipment, late starts, draws that exclude NR or greatly reduce the NR chance of drawing, no harvest of certain species or limited harvest of certain species. People often forget their states restriction but not other states restrictions.

Just saying each state has its own unique rules, advantages and disadvantages find the one that works for you is all you can really do no different then planning any other trip.

Not all states restrict NRs. Mine doesn't.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: yotetrapper30] #8032633
12/27/23 08:37 PM
12/27/23 08:37 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
The point I try to make often is every state has its own rules and restrictions be it equipment, late starts, draws that exclude NR or greatly reduce the NR chance of drawing, no harvest of certain species or limited harvest of certain species. People often forget their states restriction but not other states restrictions.

Just saying each state has its own unique rules, advantages and disadvantages find the one that works for you is all you can really do no different then planning any other trip.

Not being a wise butt but what’s it got offer with being that far south I really have no clue what MS has to offer furbearer wise.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: 20scout] #8032639
12/27/23 08:39 PM
12/27/23 08:39 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Not being a wise butt but what’s it got offer with being that far south I really have no clue what MS has to offer furbearer wise.

Unlimited otter and cat. Lots of NRs come here in winter.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: 20scout] #8032652
12/27/23 08:43 PM
12/27/23 08:43 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Cool I never hear much about it, big fur price difference? Them snakes sleep all winter? Trapped LA years ago that was a different experience lots of otter there also.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: 20scout] #8032672
12/27/23 09:08 PM
12/27/23 09:08 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
no nr restrictions in ks or quite a few other states other than license fee's

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: danny clifton] #8032676
12/27/23 09:14 PM
12/27/23 09:14 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by danny clifton
no nr restrictions in ks or quite a few other states other than license fee's

Not every state but many have restrictions or little to offer. Not a great yote there from what I hear I can’t say from experience just what I heard in the past true or not?

Last edited by Law Dog; 12/27/23 10:00 PM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: Law Dog] #8032677
12/27/23 09:15 PM
12/27/23 09:15 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Cool I never hear much about it, big fur price difference? Them snakes sleep all winter? Trapped LA years ago that was a different experience lots of otter there also.

Well there is between southern cats and western cats of course. Otter are the same price as any other otter though. A decade or so ago when pale otter were on fire everyone wanted to trap down south as a lot of otter down here are pale.

We also have live market coyote trapping and a guy can make money on that as well. I know of several people on this forum that come down here every February to live market coyote trap.

And then there are beaver absolutely everywhere, and southern beaver sell for the same price as northern beaver. Plus you can trap them in open water year around.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: 20scout] #8032828
12/27/23 10:54 PM
12/27/23 10:54 PM
minn
F
fossil2 Online content
trapper
fossil2  Online Content
trapper
F

minn
i have 40 year old friendships from my times in mississippi. id travel south before ever thinking about going east or west to trap. great people and alot of opportunity for a trapper.

Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: 20scout] #8032895
12/28/23 12:27 AM
12/28/23 12:27 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The SD change In non resident trapping happened back when rats were worth something. I know lots of guys went to SD and trapped rats. Then the SD TA went and voted to change the non resident opening date. So basically It was all froze up when the non resident could trap.

Myself and some others fought the set back for nonresident coon trappers. It all steamed form greed. Coon back then were worth big bucks. Coon hunters also had a say In the set back.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: Law Dog] #8032902
12/28/23 12:42 AM
12/28/23 12:42 AM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Bobcat by draw only in the whole state? Resident only or can NR draw a tag?

Bobcat and fisher are by draw only across the entire state. Depending on either northern zone or southern zone and time period (early or late) draw point accumulation may be anywhere from an estimated 2 years to more than 6 years for a Bobcat tag. Only one bobcat permit per hunter or trapper per year. I believe bobcat and fisher draws are open to all applicants, I didn't see any restrictions placed on non-residents. Also carcass collection rotates between time periods, this year it is the early period. Selection is random for harvested cats, so providing a carcass when notified may be viewed by non-residents as a further inconvenience, but it is a requirement for residents also.

I'm not sure where the suggestion of a Dec1 opening date of non-residents trapping might come from, the only species/zone that opens near then is the small and narrow, lower Mississippi River zone for beaver on December 4th, this year, which is the same for both residents and non-residents.

I will agree with Law Dog, weather is often very different between South Dakota and Wisconsin. That said Wisconsin's weather often comes from South Dakota depending on prevailing air currents. Weather is variable across our state due to topography as it is everywhere. I would guess that trapping after December 1 in South Dakota would be more intimidating to non-residents but South Dakota offers more generous species take limits than other states.

Also to be noted, Wisconsin requires completion of the state's Trapper Education course for both residents (with limited exception) and non-residents which is offered by 3 methods to best meet the circumstances of the student. Additional information is available on the Wisconsin DNR website.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: Scott__aR] #8032912
12/28/23 01:00 AM
12/28/23 01:00 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Bobcat by draw only in the whole state? Resident only or can NR draw a tag?

Bobcat and fisher are by draw only across the entire state. Depending on either northern zone or southern zone and time period (early or late) draw point accumulation may be anywhere from an estimated 2 years to more than 6 years for a Bobcat tag. Only one bobcat permit per hunter or trapper per year. I believe bobcat and fisher draws are open to all applicants, I didn't see any restrictions placed on non-residents. Also carcass collection rotates between time periods, this year it is the early period. Selection is random for harvested cats, so providing a carcass when notified may be viewed by non-residents as a further inconvenience, but it is a requirement for residents also.

I'm not sure where the suggestion of a Dec1 opening date of non-residents trapping might come from, the only species/zone that opens near then is the small and narrow, lower Mississippi River zone for beaver on December 4th, this year, which is the same for both residents and non-residents.

I will agree with Law Dog, weather is often very different between South Dakota and Wisconsin. That said Wisconsin's weather often comes from South Dakota depending on prevailing air currents. Weather is variable across our state due to topography as it is everywhere. I would guess that trapping after December 1 in South Dakota would be more intimidating to non-residents but South Dakota offers more generous species take limits than other states.

Also to be noted, Wisconsin requires completion of the state's Trapper Education course for both residents (with limited exception) and non-residents which is offered by 3 methods to best meet the circumstances of the student. Additional information is available on the Wisconsin DNR website.

Dec 1st is our NR opener here in SD usually a 2 week delay or it was that way in the past Beav thought it was in Jan but it’s Dec 1st that was my reply to him about that. We get several different weather patterns across the state most years we get snow and it’s gone a short time later but there are some extreme exceptions to that rule. LOL Often I go for 7 months straight hoping for a bad weather rest late in the winter. Always badger mounds to set on or the wind will blow off large areas down to bare ground it’s a learning experience. If the wind blows a metal detector can be handy or snares come into play also lots of options.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: 20scout] #8033034
12/28/23 09:40 AM
12/28/23 09:40 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
MO doesn't discriminate towards NR trappers, either. Lots of good saleable fur in MO. And SD didn't change things until the rat boom.

Our brother trappers shut that down for other brother trappers. The road crews, businesses and about everybody that owned wetland was against the change In SD. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's the same reason why we don't have NR trapping here in MN.

People who do, do. People who are lazy sit around and complain and shut things down for the people who do. This is exactly what happened in SD and is still prevailing in MN. I've met them face to face in both states. We trappers are our own worst enemy.

Last edited by Calvin; 12/28/23 09:41 AM.
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: Calvin] #8033042
12/28/23 09:49 AM
12/28/23 09:49 AM
sseMinnesota
blackhammer Offline
trapper
blackhammer  Offline
trapper

sseMinnesota
Originally Posted by Calvin
MO doesn't discriminate towards NR trappers, either. Lots of good saleable fur in MO. And SD didn't change things until the rat boom.

Our brother trappers shut that down for other brother trappers. The road crews, businesses and about everybody that owned wetland was against the change In SD. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's the same reason why we don't have NR trapping here in MN.

People who do, do. People who are lazy sit around and complain and shut things down for the people who do. This is exactly what happened in SD and is still prevailing in MN. I've met them face to face in both states. We trappers are our own worst enemy.
Excellent post. That about says all that needs to be said. The sad fact is I doubt we have trapping as we know it allowed in Minnesota in a few years.

Ah,for the life of a millionaire,say some,but just let me stay a trapper. Bill Nelson
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: 20scout] #8033074
12/28/23 10:47 AM
12/28/23 10:47 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
So it’s SD fault MN does not have a season? That’s ridiculous laughable you can’t come here because you don’t have a season get a season then come on down. The way I read it if you do get a season someday cities animals won’t be included for NR so how it that any different really? Many states have rules that suck get a season then complain.

My bad I read this wrong I should have read it a couple more times as Calvin and I are often on the same page on many things. My apologies.

Last edited by Law Dog; 12/28/23 11:56 AM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: Law Dog] #8033080
12/28/23 10:55 AM
12/28/23 10:55 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
So it’s SD fault MN does not have a season? That’s ridiculous laughable you can’t come here because you don’t have a season get a season then come on down. The way I read it if you do get a season someday cities animals won’t be included for NR so how it that any different really? Many states have rules that suck get a season then complain.

Your reading comprehension on this thread sucks Jerry. He said a few selfish trappers from SD got the rat season changed and he said a few selfish trappers are why MN has no NR trapping. Not the same trappers FCOL.

Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: ~ADC~] #8033086
12/28/23 11:02 AM
12/28/23 11:02 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Your reading comprehension on this thread sucks Jerry. He said a few selfish trappers from SD got the rat season changed and he said a few selfish trappers are why MN has no NR trapping. Not the same trappers FCOL.

Your right my mistake just a little gun shy from past years I got to expect the BS. Yes I see no point in any delay myself never did funny the fight for fur that might not be the best anyways early/late. The guys here that caused that are mostly gone now maybe things will change.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: Law Dog] #8033110
12/28/23 11:57 AM
12/28/23 11:57 AM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
The guys here that caused that are mostly gone now maybe things will change.

Not to worry.

Some trappers will still be around to help carry the torch. whistle

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: 20scout] #8033141
12/28/23 12:39 PM
12/28/23 12:39 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks

Not every state but many have restrictions or little to offer. Not a great yote there from what I hear I can’t say from experience just what I heard in the past true or not?

No our coyotes are not great. Western skins are decent. No where near as many grade heavy as yours will. I wont skin them now. When prices are good its not hard to pile them up though. People who have not seen it don't get the numbers we have. We have good cat and coon populations. Again not high quality but numbers. Beaver and otter not scarce in eastern KS. Get lots of NR trappers when the demand is there.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Minnesota and non resident trapping [Re: The Beav] #8033197
12/28/23 01:59 PM
12/28/23 01:59 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by The Beav
The SD change In non resident trapping happened back when rats were worth something. I know lots of guys went to SD and trapped rats. Then the SD TA went and voted to change the non resident opening date. So basically It was all froze up when the non resident could trap.

Myself and some others fought the set back for nonresident coon trappers. It all steamed form greed. Coon back then were worth big bucks. Coon hunters also had a say In the set back.

Does anyone remember the guys name that went there and caught a thousand or so rats and took us along via a thread here he updated regular? I believe he was banned from here a little later for something he said.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread