Trap Preparation Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6895 - 12/27/06 07:42 AM DYING - Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing
Skintown Offline
trapper

Loc: Warren Co., PA
I have 5 #4 Longsprings 1 #4 coilspring and 2 330's. I really don't have the time to boil and dye these traps before friday, so could i spray paint them, and put them outside to air out until friday. Do beavers have a good sense of smell like a K9. What about pan tension for beavers, because the longsprings i have you can't really adjust it.

#6897 - 12/27/06 07:46 AM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: Skintown]
Earl8656 Offline
trapper

Loc: Central VA, Eastern foot of Bl...
Painting them would be fine. Beavers do not smell like canines. (They have more of a castor smell). You don't need to worry about scent. The #4's that you have will be ok as long as the pan is setting level.

Old enough to know better, but still young enough not to care.much. "Earl"

#6900 - 12/27/06 07:49 AM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: Earl8656]
CoonDuke Offline
trapper

Heck, if you plan on using them underwater, I wouldn't even bother painting them. Just set 'em dude!

#6916 - 12/27/06 08:08 AM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: CoonDuke]
Bismuth Boy Offline
trapper

Loc: Northwest PA
I second that, CoonDuke!

#6924 - 12/27/06 08:20 AM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: Bismuth Boy]
3Bridger Offline
trapper

Loc: Downeast, ME
I just got a dozen new 330's. I degreased them with a product called Greased Lightning. First I hit them real quick with a scrub brush and a greased lightning and warm water solution. Then I sprayed them down with straight greased lightning, let them set for a minute, and then rinsed them off with hot water. I then painted them with flat brown Rustoleum...they look nice anyhow! I asked a similar question a while back, because it is now too cold to get dip to dry any time soon. A few guys said that some beaver will shy away from an untreated trap.

#6952 - 12/27/06 09:15 AM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: 3Bridger]
Skintown Offline
trapper

Loc: Warren Co., PA
Thanks for the quick responses. I think i will tune and paint them all tonight.

#7022 - 12/27/06 10:23 AM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: Skintown]
Bogmaster Offline

Loc: Lakeland,Minnesota
Painting or dipping,while not necessary--speeds up and protects your traps.
Nothing worse than using a rusty 330 and having a fine beaver pelt stained by rust.
Take care of your tools,they perform better and last longer.
Tom

#7083 - 12/27/06 11:17 AM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: Bogmaster]
Ole Hawkeye Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
I second what Bogmaster said. Any metal, unless it's aluminum, that is exposed to the elements should be painted or something. It doesn't take long for the paint smell to go away.

I think a trap with a little paint odor would be better than a rusty trap under water.

#7252 - 12/27/06 01:45 PM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: Ole Hawkeye]
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
I spray paint all my conis. Flat black Wally world spray paint... under a buck a can. Couple of coats and it lasts pretty good. Touch up is easy...and it dries super fast with little residual odor.

My MB 750s I usually dye and wax...mostly because I just throw them in with the other traps when I dye and wax. I've also run them with spray paint and it works....but not as well...IMO.

Poundage setting on the pans.. anything from about 2-5 is workable. Roughly 4 being what I normally set them at.

#7265 - 12/27/06 01:51 PM Re: Beaver Trap Questions- Painting vs Dyeing [Re: TasteLikeChicken]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
I spray paint all my beaver traps.

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie