No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Next question beaver rods [Re: slydogx] #8127124
04/23/24 08:54 AM
04/23/24 08:54 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
As far as connectors go, SnipperBBB has the right one. The one above that doesn't have the screw lock are easily defeated and will come undone if the critter twists right. (been there, done that). I've also done it on my own by spinning the trap chain just right. You can get them off faster than they go on once you figure it out. Always Go with the screw lock quick links.

Re: Next question beaver rods [Re: slydogx] #8127138
04/23/24 09:29 AM
04/23/24 09:29 AM
Lake Mille Lacs , MN
2poor Offline
trapper
2poor  Offline
trapper

Lake Mille Lacs , MN
I soley use 8’ x 1/2” rebar. My drowning lock slides over the top of my rod. My T stake will stop the lock on the top end . It’s silly to use attachment hardware in my opinion.

It’s a lazy man who can’t find his wife a second job !
Re: Next question beaver rods [Re: Calvin] #8127148
04/23/24 10:22 AM
04/23/24 10:22 AM
Minnesota
T
The Finlander Offline
trapper
The Finlander  Offline
trapper
T

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Catcollector
Just curious about the really long rods how many times have you ran into them and gouged yourself or others that would be worse than the trail hitch to the shin? 10-12 ft that must put them at eye level in a truck or do you have a overhead rack? and assemble them on location? My setups are assembled just grab and go... IDK 1000 ways to skin a cat well not really the Nevada stretch is really the only good way... wink

Yeah, the 8ft bed helps but I have a "L" Bracket just forward the tailgate so the rods rest on L bracket and not the tailgate itself. So you can lower the tailgate and the rods stay up where they need to be. Angled corner to corner and I can still mostly close the topper on my truck. I Also bend my rods in in a bit of an arc (Goldy's trick). This helps with those shelf banks and just makes it easier to get the other end into the bottom it seems. This arc also helps the part of the rod that's sticking out past your tailgate to angle upwards...keeping it above head level. BUT I'm short and have a truck with airbags so the back end is sky high (for my short butt). But yeah...still have to pay attention. Kind of like crossing the road. Bad stuff can happen.

I have both 1/2" rebar and 1/2" Fiberglass rods in varied lengths. The Fiberglass rods are nice and light but they are harder to get into a harder bottom with the flex that comes out of a fiberglass rod. Rebar is cheap.

Bending the arch is real easy with the fiberglass. Not so much with rebar. Different arch for different situation, With fiberglass they go back to nice and straight.

Re: Next question beaver rods [Re: slydogx] #8127155
04/23/24 10:50 AM
04/23/24 10:50 AM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
2 poor nailed it, I think it is a Bauer lock that I use but you could make your own. Pull up rod, slide trap off, take out beaver reset and go, very fast and no chance of equipment failure.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread