No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321658
09/10/18 11:09 AM
09/10/18 11:09 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Inexperienced lure makers selling did not start with the internet. In the fur boom, I would guess there were just as many or more who were selling "inexperienced lures." The truth is, tho, a lure doesn't have to be complicated to take animals. So, when you throw that in the mix, how does the average trapper know who have decent lure and who has great ones? Because a good trapper is still going to do ok with a simple mix of glands and an preservative. Either a lot of trial and error goes into finding the great lures, or you can just go with an established name like Carmen or Grawe, or Lenons, someone who has been around for decades or longer.
My biggest pet peeve is not so much selling lures that don't have 20 years of testings, it's lure that is very weak and has little staying power. What you end up with is having to use three times as much for lesser results. I sometimes wonder if the real secret to lure making is making intense odors that last and last at a set. I mean, you can catch lot of fur with just a simple gland mix, but if it's gone on the third day, you are wasting money replacing it often, or you are missing animals.

Ok, that got off topic a bit. Back in fur boom, I know we bought a few lures that were just stuff like rotted meat or molasses and a couple extracts. Now, I want a lure that is intense and lasting, and it's not hard to pick them out with one wiff.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: Macthediver] #6321664
09/10/18 11:13 AM
09/10/18 11:13 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted By: Macthediver
Originally Posted By: Law Dog
Like anything else, "The cream will always rise to the top!" that applies to the bigger and smaller lure makers, word of mouth being better then the printed words on a piece of paper most of the time.

Law Dog
I had a boss that thought he was gods gift to world because he had a Masters Degree..He liked to use the line about Cream Rising To Top..
My insulting reply to that was.
A Turd Will Float Too If You Put Enough Worthless Fiber In It..

LOL!

You might say we didn't get along to well

When a guy says that about himself it means nothing then! LOL Turd was a closer description for sure.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: Larry Baer] #6321671
09/10/18 11:18 AM
09/10/18 11:18 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: Larry Baer
I think this is a sign of the times and I agree with Mark. Watch the news and see how people want to tear down someone who is successful. People used to say things like '' good job'' and congratulations'' when someone succeeded with something like the example of a promotion. If someone lands a great job why not be happy for them? I would say the people who are thumbing their noses at the people who try hard would be the ''higher fiber '' floaters. Let's all try to be good examples for our you people and include in positive mentoring. The liberals have been soaking our young peoples minds in their garbage in our schools for generations and now we are seeing it come to fruition. Hard work and taking chances doesn't always equal success but at least there are people who try. Keep up the good work.

Larry, You get what I'm talking about in my post. Judging from some responses, the theme is floating past some. Good post!
The theme is that "why is it viewed as a negative if a trapper builds a successful lure biz and they promote the fact that they are trappers who own a lure biz. Why is there skepticism if the person is in biz for quite a while and is "selling stuff"?"

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: Catch22] #6321674
09/10/18 11:19 AM
09/10/18 11:19 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: Catch22
Originally Posted By: Mark June
pcr2,

I'm crazy in that I prefer a lure maker to be a trapper crazy
The more they trap, the more experience they have, and maybe, just maybe... that experience goes into the bottle they sell me!

What???

What what Catch22?

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321680
09/10/18 11:36 AM
09/10/18 11:36 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted By: Mark June
Originally Posted By: Larry Baer
I think this is a sign of the times and I agree with Mark. Watch the news and see how people want to tear down someone who is successful. People used to say things like '' good job'' and congratulations'' when someone succeeded with something like the example of a promotion. If someone lands a great job why not be happy for them? I would say the people who are thumbing their noses at the people who try hard would be the ''higher fiber '' floaters. Let's all try to be good examples for our you people and include in positive mentoring. The liberals have been soaking our young peoples minds in their garbage in our schools for generations and now we are seeing it come to fruition. Hard work and taking chances doesn't always equal success but at least there are people who try. Keep up the good work.

Larry, You get what I'm talking about in my post. Judging from some responses, the theme is floating past some. Good post!
The theme is that "why is it viewed as a negative if a trapper builds a successful lure biz and they promote the fact that they are trappers who own a lure biz. Why is there skepticism if the person is in biz for quite a while and is "selling stuff"?"

Well when you paint it in that light, I would say who cares! I mean, maybe someone is competitive or jealous. Or maybe they have met you and don't like you as a person. Maybe they tried your product and don't like it. Maybe maybe maybe lol. I truly don't think if the old timers were selling there wares successfully they would take the time to worry about it, they'd just keep at it.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321685
09/10/18 11:40 AM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
We’re certainly at each other’s throats far more than I can remember. We seem less content with what we have, who we are and what we’ve achieved. As a result, individual success if it’s not our own becomes a threat. So to avoid animosity towards one another and feelings of inadequacy the entire group must be the recipient of success not the individual. The problem is that just the opposite happens – jealousy and ruthless competition increase.

The more strongly our achievements (our work) as individuals are tied to a group, the less meaningful and valued they become - just one cog among many. So the only way to achieve recognition among peers is by climbing to the top of the heap (by any and all means) rather than being content with our accomplishments and who we are in their own right. It's a paradoxical outcome that fails because it misconstrues human nature.

I hated group projects in school as a kid. grin

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321686
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Some people are just negative of anyone who is successful, but I suspect some assume that the guy promoting his own stuff is going to be stretching the truth. The perception is, that if a guy has nothing to sell, he has no reason to be dishonest.
In some cases this is understandable, if a person has been ripped off by self promoters selling snake oil.

It's like the fellow who gets sold a bad car once, and instantly every one selling cars is a rip off artist in his eyes.
But common sense should tell us that if a lure maker has been in business over the long haul and is going strong, he is putting something good in the bottle.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321688
09/10/18 11:41 AM
09/10/18 11:41 AM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
I think the only Skepticism for my self when buying would be.. Is the Trapper/lure maker using the lures he's promoting ,to catch the 300 coyotes/bobcats he shows in the Pictures while promoting. Or is there more to that story.

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321697
09/10/18 11:48 AM
09/10/18 11:48 AM

B
bleeohio OP
Unregistered
bleeohio OP
Unregistered
B

All I'll add is ,, I tip my hat to you trapper/lure makers. I have been a trapper since the 70s and have dabbled in making my own lures (canine). It is a painstaking process that takes time to get it even close to being right. For me, more trouble than it's worth.

So I happily buy proven lures from experienced trappers and don't worry about it.
Sure there are snake oil salesmen out there, in this industry though, word of mouth travels fast and they won't be around long.

Keep on keeping on i guess.

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: Northmocats] #6321703
09/10/18 11:53 AM
09/10/18 11:53 AM
Rose, NY
N
Night Owl 22 Offline
trapper
Night Owl 22  Offline
trapper
N

Rose, NY
I don't automatically see trappers rejecting new lure businesses. I do however see a similarity in that thinking and our past presidential election. The forgotten trappers, the ones who know and love their sport are in general very accepting of new businesses. However when someone comes on the scene new and portrays themselves as something people assume is not on the up and up there is the problem. They see this example set by the establishment and follow the lead. The instant success guy is met with some skepticism and I think rightly so. Trappers are more adept at the smell test and what passes it than most realize. The list of lure making gentlemen mentioned earlier carried themselves with class and a humility that seems to be more and more lacking nowadays. In what is arguably one of the smallest of the outdoor sports we have no shortage of huge ego's when it comes to the marketing front.
The bigger problem is few want to earn their stripes anymore. it's quicker to make a name by making ridiculous claims that can't be proven or disproved than it is to be humble, treat customers with respect, and additionally produce a good product. There is a huge difference between a lure maker and a lure salesman. My pride comes from my ability to formulate lures not fabricate stories. You can and should learn from history and the example that the Dobbins family as well as a few others in the lure making business set for us is a good model to follow.

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321713
09/10/18 12:04 PM
09/10/18 12:04 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I think it's more of a trust issue. Especially if the trappers been around a while and has his/her favorites and hasn't seen much about a new lure maker.

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; 09/10/18 12:04 PM.
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321723
09/10/18 12:16 PM
09/10/18 12:16 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I still remember Ray Milligan's barn picture of 500+ critters. Love that picture and I respected that picture as it was portrayed (marketed) but would today's trapper view that as chest thumping? I would say more today than when that pic was marketed 3 decades ago. Should Ray be proud and market his lures that way? Sure, why not. A ton of work on that barn IMO. Or should, (as has now been offered on this TMan thread for consideration), a lure maker be "humble" quiet and go about his business and word of mouth will carry the day, and pay the mortgage? Hmmm...

Some here may not have ever seen or read ads by the old timers but I have magazines from "the day" and grandiose claims were typical. Very typical. Much more than today's luremakers. Hawbakers claimed to have their products used by 250,000 trappers for years when I wondered.... "Are there even 250,000 trappers left?" Go team go was my thinking for these ads.

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321727
09/10/18 12:23 PM
09/10/18 12:23 PM
South Carolina
T
Tom cat Offline
trapper
Tom cat  Offline
trapper
T

South Carolina
I’ll throw in my 2 cents y’all, I’m making my first ever beaver tail oil, does that make me a lure maker?? Heck no!!! Does that make me a trapper that makes my own beaver tail oil?? Heck yeah!! Beyond that I’ll buy lure from the experts. I’ve got nothing against anyone who wants to try to make lure. And I’ll give an once from a new maker an honest try, if it works then I’ll buy more, if not I won’t. All 3 of my lure suppliers are trappers. But as far as me making lure. I may in a few years try my hand at it. But for now that’s what the experts are dern good at.

Sugarcreektrapping@gmail.com
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321737
09/10/18 12:44 PM
09/10/18 12:44 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
Trust and fear of change are the big hurdles! I buy from guys that act genuine among every one not just trappers. The days of good ole boys are gone! Most wont lift a finger unless they are rewarded greatly. I make and use my own because I know without a doubt what's in it! But then again i'm the type that feels like I can make a better steak than I can buy! Owning your own business you will always have nay sayers. Its impossible to make everyone happy. I say treat every one as you wish to be treated. Leave the stone throwers behind Eventually they will only have each other.

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321744
09/10/18 01:05 PM
09/10/18 01:05 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Another thing is social media has made people more leary of potential fly by night guys. Not that there are that many but like crime reports... there are less of those today but the reporting of the same incidents is wider spread so it appears to be more than what it is now.

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: PAskinner] #6321752
09/10/18 01:12 PM
09/10/18 01:12 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Originally Posted By: PAskinner
Inexperienced lure makers selling did not start with the internet. In the fur boom, I would guess there were just as many or more who were selling "inexperienced lures." The truth is, tho, a lure doesn't have to be complicated to take animals. So, when you throw that in the mix, how does the average trapper know who have decent lure and who has great ones? Because a good trapper is still going to do ok with a simple mix of glands and an preservative. Either a lot of trial and error goes into finding the great lures, or you can just go with an established name like Carmen or Grawe, or Lenons, someone who has been around for decades or longer.
My biggest pet peeve is not so much selling lures that don't have 20 years of testings, it's lure that is very weak and has little staying power. What you end up with is having to use three times as much for lesser results. I sometimes wonder if the real secret to lure making is making intense odors that last and last at a set. I mean, you can catch lot of fur with just a simple gland mix, but if it's gone on the third day, you are wasting money replacing it often, or you are missing animals.

Ok, that got off topic a bit. Back in fur boom, I know we bought a few lures that were just stuff like rotted meat or molasses and a couple extracts. Now, I want a lure that is intense and lasting, and it's not hard to pick them out with one wiff.

Of course there were tyro lure makers before the internet. But now it’s a click away. Want to change yer fuel pump on the truck, do some gunsmithing, make some lure, jump yer bicycle into a volcano? Every expert is one click away.

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321757
09/10/18 01:26 PM
09/10/18 01:26 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline
trapper

Central/Western Texas
The more things a trapper does,(Like make baits or lures, make snares, etc.) the more I admire them and try to imitate them to show greater support for trapping.

Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321803
09/10/18 02:48 PM
09/10/18 02:48 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
I'm going to throw a little more gas on this and mention my friend Craig O'Gorman. The thing that got me to buy his ''Legendary Oil Slick'' was his full page ad in the Trapper in the 80's. It made me laugh. Not because it was funny but because it claimed to be a lure that would ''suck those mink and coon into your pocket sets like a vacuum cleaner." Well it was true! That's the difference. More power to you guys living the dream.

I buy your lures Mark and your ads are a good description of what they do. Ads these days are not as much fun as they used to be. I think you need a new ad. I can see it now. All these coyotes caught on one bottle of Coyote Frenzy. With a picture of a pile of coyotes.

Why tear people down for their success? We are being taught to do it ever day on the 24 hr news channels... a cucumber is going to become a pickle if you leave it in the juice long enough. Sometimes I think people are just different today. Growing up we used to stop on the road and visit with the neighbor or pull into their barn lot and visit. Now it's hurry hurry and give me the best deal that's better than my neighbor got and then show off to the neighbor and run him down. Maybe it's just me but I don't care. I've started working with some kids to show them how respect their elders and be good to their parents, ect. We need to get back to the things that really matter most.

Just passin through
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: Larry Baer] #6321806
09/10/18 02:55 PM
09/10/18 02:55 PM
Hathaway Montana
Cathouse Jim Offline
trapper
Cathouse Jim  Offline
trapper

Hathaway Montana
Larry great reply, I hope more people follow your example.
I also miss those great adds from the late 70's and early 80's.

Last edited by Cathouse Jim; 09/10/18 02:56 PM.

"I've reached nearly fifty four years of age with my system."

NTA Life member
MTA Life member
Re: Lure makers - has our society changed? [Re: ] #6321809
09/10/18 03:00 PM
09/10/18 03:00 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Larry,

Rusty Johnson and I are hanging out this week at a "ma-and-pa" motel in Salem, MO, splitting costs as best we can, waiting on this next weekends MO convention. Since we were both a ton of miles from our homes, we decided to stay out on the road after the Ohio convention in Lancaster this past weekend and it's kinda nice to sit here on this wonderful bench in the shade, under tall pines, and catch up on this-that-and the other while I'm here. My lovely bride, Ms. Donna, is home scratching and fetching orders since it's that time of the year!

I read your post(s) and we think very much alike. In the same vane that I like the tiny cafe here in Salem, MO where grandma is fixing breakfast like she has for God knows how long, I admire her grit and determination. If I owned a cafe right across the street from her, I'd feel exactly the same way about her. But some would open a restaurant and they would operate differently.

I grew up being taught that a man or woman who works is a biblical thing to be admired and respected.
I'm sticking to it!
Larry, come on down to MO and I'll buy you and the horse you rode in on a big 'ol breakfast at grandma's cafe (she closes after lunch)!

Last edited by Mark June; 09/10/18 03:01 PM.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread