No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? #6149149
02/05/18 06:18 PM
02/05/18 06:18 PM

W
Wylee OP
Unregistered
Wylee OP
Unregistered
W

I've been having incidents since I was real young, about 10 years old. The first time it happened I was real sick laying on the couch, when I began to dose off. Something on the tv caught my attention and I remember trying to sit up and realized I could not move. I then began trying to yell for my parents but nothing came out. I could feel my chest and limbs on fire straining for a breath or some kind of movement..nothing. I'm not sure how long it lasted but I finally belted out a cry, "mom!". Seconds later mom came running to me asking what the fit was all about. I told her I was stuck on the couch and couldn't even breath. She smiled and giggled at my terrified description of what happened and forced the thermometer in my mouth...I had a temp of 104 as I recall. Worried my brain was fried, off to the hospital we went.
Since then I have periodically had these incidents. Sometimes it will happen over several nights leaving me terrified to even try to sleep and other times it will happen one night and that's it.
Last night it happened again, I think this is the 3rd time in a couple years. I'm laying there and this time I was asleep. I remember dreaming and best I can explain is I came out of the dream and could see the room lit by the moon light. There was a flash of light and I tried to get up to look out the window and could not move. I anxiously began to wheeze and woke my wife next to me. She shook me and I came out of it. I lay there until I finally drifted off again only to have some very vivid dream.
I've been to the doc for this and they have a good explanation of how this happens but they just want to drug me. I wish it wouldn't happen anymore.
Anyone else here suffer from this and how have you dealt with it? Lee

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149157
02/05/18 06:27 PM
02/05/18 06:27 PM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
Have had it a handful of times... like your awake , but cant move.. Never really suffered from it all the time tho. Just on occasion probably when I was tired and restless. odd thing to have happen though.

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149161
02/05/18 06:30 PM
02/05/18 06:30 PM

W
Wylee OP
Unregistered
Wylee OP
Unregistered
W

Odd and terrifying. Doc says my sleep sequence is out of whack but how does that explain it happening when I'm deep in a dream?

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149206
02/05/18 07:26 PM
02/05/18 07:26 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
Yes, every night from the age of 16 through the age of 23.
Now, about once or twice a month. Mine came along with a recurrent waking nightmare...not fun. Inexplicably, it stopped the very day we moved to a new house.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149230
02/05/18 07:49 PM
02/05/18 07:49 PM

W
Wylee OP
Unregistered
Wylee OP
Unregistered
W

Huh. You ever talk to the doc slydogx? I didn't go into full detail in my original post in fear of sounding like a nut job but I can link a few reoccurring nightmares to mine. One is a man I've never met standing in the front room of the house I grew up in. When I encounter him I try to call for my parents and can't seem to make a noise throwing me into the awake sleep mode. It's funny to me that I still try to call for my parents in this dream...I'm a 38 year old man now. Mom has been gone for years now..
The other nightmare related to this is I awake to find myself looking down at me sleeping in bed. Everything seems comfortable until I seem to realize what's happening, then it's like I watch myself struggle until I wake. Both terrify me to the point of tears.

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149235
02/05/18 07:54 PM
02/05/18 07:54 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Sounds like when the aliens abduct people for experiments.
Another name is "night terrors"

Last edited by Boco; 02/05/18 07:55 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149246
02/05/18 08:00 PM
02/05/18 08:00 PM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
Its terrifying even more I am sure when you wake from a deep sleep. I have infrequent panic attacks that most often hit in the middle of the night waking me while I am asleep. One thing that makes them more likely to happen for me is a lack of sleep in previous nights. I know what they are now and have dealt with enough of them to know they will pass, but it still scares the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) out of a guy.

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149247
02/05/18 08:01 PM
02/05/18 08:01 PM

W
Wylee OP
Unregistered
Wylee OP
Unregistered
W

Boco you're freaking me out. I have read a few things about "other" believed causes. Aliens, sucubus and incubus come to mind. I really try to be logical but the striking resemblance the these accounts is chilling. If it is aliens I hope they will fix my back while they are messing with me. Lol

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149249
02/05/18 08:04 PM
02/05/18 08:04 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Sleep paralysis has been scaring people for a very long time. People used to think that demons called incubus and succubus would climb on you when you slept. Later on people thought that witches, called night hags, would sit on your chest and hold you down. Now may people think aliens immobilize you and experiment on you. I have only had sleep paralysis happen a few times. It is not pleasant.

Keith

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149250
02/05/18 08:05 PM
02/05/18 08:05 PM

W
Wylee OP
Unregistered
Wylee OP
Unregistered
W

NEyotetrapper, the doc brought stress, lack of sleep, anxiety and a few other potential causes to my attention. Being a mostly rational person, I'd like to agree but can't find a cause for those issues. My life is good for the most part..

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149253
02/05/18 08:10 PM
02/05/18 08:10 PM

W
Wylee OP
Unregistered
Wylee OP
Unregistered
W

KeithC, I have researched and read about that stuff. I really think the brain is an amazing machine and is capable of many things we may never understand. This sleep paralysis dream nightmare thing is likely to be one of them. I just wish I could find an answer and make it stop.

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149257
02/05/18 08:12 PM
02/05/18 08:12 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: Wylee

The other nightmare related to this is I awake to find myself looking down at me sleeping in bed. Everything seems comfortable until I seem to realize what's happening, then it's like I watch myself struggle until I wake. Both terrify me to the point of tears.

Sounds Like An "O.O.B.E". Also Known As An "Out Of Body Experience" Which Is Also Called "Astral Projection".

If You Have Ever Dreamed You Have Left Your Physical Body As An Esoteric Soul And Had The Feeling And Experience That You Were Flying, It Might Not Have Been A Dream.

I Had These Experiences When I Was Very Sick As A Young Boy. Google The Above Terms In "Quotes" For More Information.

I Have Also Activated These Experiences On Purpose In The Early 1980's, but Not Again In The Years Since

Sounds Like Just What is Going On With You. Check It Out. I Am Being Dead Serious.

https://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Astral-Projection

walleyed

Last edited by walleyed; 02/05/18 08:45 PM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149261
02/05/18 08:15 PM
02/05/18 08:15 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
From what I have read about sleep paralysis, a person who experiences it is not fully awake when it occurs. They are somewhere in between asleep and awake.
The fact that you can be shaken to snap you out of it indicates to me that you are not fully awake when it happens.
Your vivid dreams of paralysis while asleep are just creeping into your almost awake state.
All I can suggest is for you to try to convince your half-asleep self that you are having a bad dream, because this is exactly what is happening.
Sometimes, as I am falling asleep, I go into a deep thought period and it begins to get weird and unsettling and I sort of wake up and
tell myself to disregard the stupid notion which my overactive, mostly asleep imagination came up with.
Do you also have narcolepsy?

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149267
02/05/18 08:17 PM
02/05/18 08:17 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you smoke too much hash and drink whiskey at the same time,you can experience that kind of stuff.

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: Boco] #6149274
02/05/18 08:22 PM
02/05/18 08:22 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted By: Boco
If you smoke too much hash and drink whiskey at the same time,you can experience that kind of stuff.

I Have No Doubt You Are Speaking From Your Own Vivid Experiences While Under Intoxicated Impairment. laugh

w

Last edited by walleyed; 02/05/18 08:22 PM.

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149279
02/05/18 08:24 PM
02/05/18 08:24 PM

W
Wylee OP
Unregistered
Wylee OP
Unregistered
W

Walleyed, that reminds me of my grandma. She was very loving and nurturing. She knew I had this sleep issue when I was young and she'd tell me to imagine myself flying over my favorite place. She'd say just feel light and let the wind take you off to sleep. I still do this sometimes when I can't clear my mind at night. I always end up over a dark ocean at night and can see the clouds lit by the moon below me. Never thought of it as what you said...maybe grandma knows something.
I will look into your recommendations. I'm always open to research.

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149287
02/05/18 08:31 PM
02/05/18 08:31 PM

W
Wylee OP
Unregistered
Wylee OP
Unregistered
W

52carl, I don't have narcolepsy that I know of. However I have been known to talk in my sleep. A friend recommended I go do a sleep study.
Boco, no hash or whiskey. lol I can see how that could have an impact though. To be honest as an adult when it got real bad I would drink to sleep. I found it would help. But I can't handle hang overs.

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149290
02/05/18 08:33 PM
02/05/18 08:33 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: walleyed] #6149296
02/05/18 08:39 PM
02/05/18 08:39 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted By: walleyed
Originally Posted By: Wylee

Sounds Like An "O.O.B.E". Also Known As An "Out Of Body Experience" Which Is Also Called "Astral Projection".

If You Have Ever Dreamed You Have Left Your Physical Body as an Esoteric Soul And Had The Feeling And Experience That you were Flying It Might Not have Been A Dream.

I Had These Experiences When I was Very Sick As A Young Boy. Google The Above Terms In "Quotes" For More Information.

Sounds Like Just What is Going On With You. Check It Out. I Am Being Dead Serious.

https://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Astral-Projection

walleyed

Yep, we used to refer to it as "astro-planing" back in the seventies.

Eh...wot?

Re: Anyone else suffer from sleep paralysis? [Re: ] #6149299
02/05/18 08:41 PM
02/05/18 08:41 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Walleyed ,put down the windowpane.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread