Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#567071 - 02/07/08 11:13 PM LURE - Coon Glands??
trapman464 Offline
trapper

Loc: Laurel, Montana
I know where the glands are on just about every animal except coon. Does anyone know where the glands are on coon and how to get them? Are they valuable in using in sets to attract more coon or other critters?

Montana Furbearer Conservation Alliance Member

#567315 - 02/08/08 07:49 AM Re: Coon Glands?? [Re: TexA 68 & going]
Bob Jameson Offline

Loc: SW Pa
The gland cuts are basically the same and located in the same areas on coon as other animals. Most tend to prefer more galls in the formula.A good coon gland lure will certainly spike an interest in placement of a good gland lure particularly in the later part of the year into Jan and Feb at times.I have had coons pass a food lured set to run to a gland lured smear many times in late season. Even in early season they will visit it. Most trappers are conditioned to bait,food and curosity odor attractants but a good gland will bang lots of coons and dont you think it wont.

Wildlife Pest Control Services

#568093 - 02/08/08 03:49 PM Re: Coon Glands?? [Re: Bob Jameson]
trapman464 Offline
trapper

Loc: Laurel, Montana
thanks,

Montana Furbearer Conservation Alliance Member

#568251 - 02/08/08 05:23 PM Re: Coon Glands?? [Re: trapman464]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
Bob is right in fact there are times that a good coon gland lure is the only thing that will stop those big boars.

#568312 - 02/08/08 06:05 PM Re: Coon Glands?? [Re: Dave Plueger]
paredneck Offline
trapper

Loc: ne pa age 39,act 10, feel 80
Ok am I correct in thinking these are near/at the back door? and do females have them and are they in the same place?and what would a person do to use them,grind? dry and grind ,age or fresh?

#568361 - 02/08/08 06:29 PM Re: Coon Glands?? [Re: paredneck]
Coon King IV Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
As w/ every critter there are anal glands. There are also 1 under each front arm pit, usually in a little pocket of fat. Looks like a gray lima bean. Not sure if it has any trapping use.

#568656 - 02/08/08 08:41 PM Re: Coon Glands?? [Re: Coon King IV]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
The only coon glands I collect are the anal glands with about 4" of gut. There are also ear butt glands, arm pit glands, and others I'm sure. Maybe Asa or Paul could shed some more light on coon glands.

#569031 - 02/09/08 05:19 AM Re: Coon Glands?? [Re: Dave Plueger]
Mystic Wildlife Offline
trapper

Loc: Connecticut
ttt

Moderator:  tmrschessie