ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Roof sealants #5569067
07/03/16 10:12 AM
07/03/16 10:12 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
What is your favorite sealant used when having to screw vent covers into the roof? I've been using elastomeric sealant for some things and others say butyl caulk. What do you guys use?

Re: Roof sealants [Re: webfootwhacker] #5569988
07/04/16 01:41 PM
07/04/16 01:41 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I guess I am the only one that is going to respond. There are several good/effective sealants available to use for various applications. We carry a lot of silicone since we use that the most. So to answer your question for most roofing surface install type work with covers or vents we use silicone for the most part.

Liquid nails for attaching to external stone or brick surfaces to help with bonding then finish off with a recessed silicone application material for water protection. We have used the elastomeric materials at times but haven't found them to be a great advantage in their use over silicone.

Using the best materials suiting the weather and temperature conditions will dictate what you may have to use at times for your best bonding and curing time for that particular situation.

We use the roofing tar type/sealant caulk material as needed selectively and sparingly. Some of these materials can tend to run when they get very hot. Typically this is used when needing to lift shingles to attach roof jacks or other such safety attachment points to fill in the screw or nail holes created.

Re: Roof sealants [Re: webfootwhacker] #5570002
07/04/16 01:51 PM
07/04/16 01:51 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
My preferred product is Dow CWS (contractor weatherproof sealant) followed by Nova Flex then Dow 791 or 794.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Roof sealants [Re: webfootwhacker] #5570466
07/05/16 12:37 AM
07/05/16 12:37 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline OP
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline OP
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will use up the elastomeric stuff and then proceed with silicone. Will definitely check out Eric's suggestions as well. Much appreciated. Been sealing up behind red squirrels lately.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread