ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Red Fox Problems #5096569
06/24/15 02:17 PM
06/24/15 02:17 PM
Ashtabula Ohio
A
AmmoRat Offline OP
trapper
AmmoRat  Offline OP
trapper
A

Ashtabula Ohio
I need help on catching a red fox that is managing to snag a duckling every couple of night off the pond.
I know its a red fox because I seen in sneaking up on the pond one early morning. I started out with 17 ducklings and its dwindling down to 14 now. I've also lost a couple year old crested and a Muscovy hen. The ducks are being carried off towards the woods. Some I've found one duck carried and dropped in the pasture but most of the time there's no sign of remains. The duck I did find was just chewed up around the neck, but nothing else torn up. they seem to get carried off whole.

My pond is in the pasture with cows. I rotate pastures every 2-3 days so that is my window. My cows will stomp all over my set up if I use a foothold and I don't have any idea where the fox is coming under the fence at to use a snare.

What are my options because the pocket set or urine post isn't getting any action other than the cows. I think the fox knows exactly what and where to go so she isn't messing with anything else. Should I try and set something right up next to the pond close to the ducks? Will a cage trap work?

Re: Red Fox Problems [Re: AmmoRat] #5096579
06/24/15 02:25 PM
06/24/15 02:25 PM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline
trapper
S

Wyoming
Could use a cage over dirt hole set. Then it can stay working. Just worked for me

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Red Fox Problems [Re: AmmoRat] #5096611
06/24/15 02:45 PM
06/24/15 02:45 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Take the duck you found and throw it or maybe even tie it in the back of a cage. Don't be surprised if you catch a raccoon too. The

fox may not be the only one who enjoys a duck dinner. Come to think of it, I just had one too.

Re: Red Fox Problems [Re: AmmoRat] #5096688
06/24/15 03:43 PM
06/24/15 03:43 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Though it may be a fox, chewed and not eaten in any part of this country could at least for the ducklings be feral cat or house cat as much or more often than native predators.

Especially uneaten but mauled to death.

Re: Red Fox Problems [Re: AmmoRat] #5098789
06/25/15 11:30 PM
06/25/15 11:30 PM
OH
T
trapper/caller Offline
trapper
trapper/caller  Offline
trapper
T

OH
Give the ducks somewhere safe to sleep....make the fox work elsewhere for the next meal.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread